Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

in the market for a new bowl

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:54 AM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

Default in the market for a new bowl

ok so i've seen all kinds of reviews and opinions about vortex, phunnel, and the like, so it's kinda difficult to make a decision on which i should get, i've seen how both smoke really well and every body who has one loves em, but i'm not real keen on how with the phunnel it seems you cant really use ql's and i see alot of vortex bowls being broken, so i'm kind of up in the air on my decision also does any one have an opinion of the crown hookah bowls (the ones w/holes around the lip of the bowl instead of the bottom) your input and feedback is greatly apreciated
thanks
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:21 AM
Maylene
Hookah Nut

Default Re: in the market for a new bowl

If you treat your bowl's right they should last a long time. I personally use a vortex, it's perfect, holds the right amount of shisha for solo sessions, and i can pack it with enough for group sessions. Vortex's spires can break, and phunnels can come apart. When It comes to something as simple as a bowl, think about what and how it's going to be used.

Honestly, if you like longer sessions and have more group smokes, go with phunnel. Do opposite if you prefer solo, and the occasional party/group smoke.

I have never tried a crown bowl, from what i hear they're awesome, but the price tag keeps me away.

Last edited by Maylene; April 2nd, 2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:30 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Hey Man... you are in luck, I have a glass MNH phunnel w/ scali mod, Vortex, and Crown Jewel. (The bigger version of the Crown Classic)

My Experiences are:

Glass Phunnel w/ scali: Looks great but was expensive. I have had troubles getting it to smoke right with AF and SB. All in all, I probably would not get it again.

Vortex: Functional and fairly cheap. Smoked great for me right from the get go and really impressed my friends over the Mod/Egyptian. This is my "go to" bowl for sure!

Crown Jewel: Crown Hookahs' mashup of the vortex and and phunnel. Looks awesome and smokes great. It was expensive comparitively and it a little difficult to clean under the rim of the spire. (If you ever look at a picture you will see what I mean.) This is the bowl I reach for when I want to have a long session and I am not being lazy.

From my experiences with all three bowls, I would probably like the CH Crown Classic.
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

thanks guys, i know i'll probablly end up getting all of em over time, but for the most part i usually smoke w/a group of at least 3-4 people, and with the standard bowls i have, sessions usually last around 1 1/2-2 hrs, so just a matter of which one i should get first
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

If you usually smoke with 3 or 4 people i would go with a medium phunnel bowl. It can hold more shisha (around 40 grams) and it can also be used for a long solo session for two plus hours depending on the tobacco your using. Whichever you decide to buy make sure you buy two because if one breaks you don't want to be left high and dry.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey void View Post
thanks guys, i know i'll probablly end up getting all of em over time, but for the most part i usually smoke w/a group of at least 3-4 people, and with the standard bowls i have, sessions usually last around 1 1/2-2 hrs, so just a matter of which one i should get first
If you're going to be smoking with 3-4 people almost every session for 1.5-2 hours I would not get the Crown Classic. I have a Crown Classic and love every aspect of how it smokes but it is a very small bowl(perfect for 1 hour sessions solo or group). My experience is limited with the type of tobaccos I smoke because I mainly smoke black style tobaccos(DM and homemade moassels). If you are big into smoking wetter tobaccos like Starbuzz you might be able to get more longevity out of the tobacco, but from what I have found the Crown Classic is a 1 hour bowl. If you plan on smoking alone or changing flavors more often then I would still consider purchasing a Crown Classic as it is easily my favorite "modern" bowl variation(of Vortex, Phunnel etc.)

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
-jordan-

I smoke by myself most of the time, and enjoy using my vortex bowl. It doesn't use much shisha, and it burns just long enough for a decent session. 1-2 hours typically... Then a phunnel bowl, I nearly never use cause it goes through coals like there's no tomorrow to keep it going well, and it uses upwards of 30-40 grams of shisha... So.. I'd just go with a vortex bowl.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:09 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

IMHO go for the vortex first, then a crown product second.
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:38 AM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

sweet thanks for the input guys, the vortex bowl is was thinking about getting any way and now seeing waht you guys think it's almost a definite, so where is the best place to pick one up, i've seen them on ebay for around $10 or so but i think i'd rather get one from a reputable vendor with a good track record just so i know i'm getting a good quality bowl, again thanks for the input
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:23 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

I believe Hookah-Shisha and Hookahstore both carry them... no 100% though since I havn't been in the market for them lately.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
Jessica
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to Jessica Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica Send a message via Skype™ to Jessica

crown is out of stock for now, so if you want one you will have to wait like the rest of us lol

I love...i mean LOVE my vortex, cleans easy seems pretty sturdy i just got it about a week ago and i will be ordering several more since i like to pack more than 1 bowl at a time.

Of course.. it's user preference if you have the cash buy a funnel and a vortex so you can decide for yourself what you like better
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:08 AM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

thanks everyone for the info, i just ordered a vortex and some other stuff from urbanhookah.com i even used the discount code on the vendor discount code thread and got 15% off so i'm getting a vortex for like $6 and some change, i'm kinda stoked about it and cant wait to get it, like i said i most likely will be getting all three types of bowls, just a matter of time, everyones input has really helped me out and i greatly apreciate it, i'll be posting a review on it as soon as i get it
thanks again
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith

I'm trying them all over time. You will eventually find one that works best for you! When I was finally ready to fork over the money for the CH Crown Classic, they were out of stock by 6 hours... boy was I bummed, but I e-mailed Santino, and he returned my e-mail the same day to tell me he is releasing two phunnels in the next two weeks and will start making the classics after that... Good luck with the trial and errors, its how we learn. Check out the how-to videos on HP, well worth it!

Last edited by thomas_j_smith; April 3rd, 2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:10 AM
HookahKev
Hookah Pro

i havent tried a phunnel or the crown glass version but i did uprade from a mod to my vortex. i absolutely love it! in time i think i will try the other cause you never know, everyone is different and i might like something better than the vortex, might that is

id say try the vortex, then the phunnel, then crown. mostly based on the price tags and then you can figure it out for sure on what YOU like best.
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Thecheezanator
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Thecheezanator Send a message via MSN to Thecheezanator Send a message via Yahoo to Thecheezanator

Vertex ftw. >.>

I love it. Its perfect for me, I never have more than three people smoking, but even if I did I could just pack more into the vortex.
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:55 AM
ZenSilk1
Hookah Newbie

I say go for a tobacco saving bowl. The Crown or the Alien mini are your best bet. Both smoke perfectly, last 2 hours, and use a very very small amount of tobacco. I'll go as far as to say that most other bowl are obsolete..
Old April 10th, 2010, 02:29 AM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

just got my vortex today mixed up some AF DA with some fantasia purple haze (only had enough of each for half a bowl), threw 3 nat coals on it & damn is it worth it!! really glad i got it, now i see what all the hype was abt
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith

You can use QLs with any size phunnel. I love my tangiers phunnels, and have no problems with QLs or with packing. I have received vortex bowls with plugged holes. I have never tried the chinese phunnels (they look cheap to me)? I get about 90 minutes on the Alien Mini Phunnel, but I am now seeing a crack develop in it where the bowl meets the tower. Thinking that may be from from how thin the bowl is VS the tangiers bowls. I too am awaiting more Crown Classics to be released!
Old April 11th, 2010, 02:22 AM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

yeah i'll be getting a phunnel next, a friend of mine is good with pottery, she want to try and make me a custom bowl hehe
Old April 11th, 2010, 02:31 AM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

Vortex is not more susceptible to breakage than any of my other bowls. I have all different kinds of bowls "the mod, mya, egyptian, both genie and regular vortex, and a medium phunnel" and I always find myself using the vortex just because of its ease of use. Every bowl I have can smoke like a champ but its only a matter of which bowl you want to work with. In my case it has been a pleasure working with the vortex.
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:23 AM
anis14
Hookah Guru

Both bowls perform well. So it boils down to how much tobacco you want to use and how much you want to spend. The vortex uses less tobacco and is cheaper. The phunnel bowl lasts a long time. I have both bowls and they are both excellent.
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:29 AM
esteban
Hookah Pro

get a mod bowl and overpack it
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

I have a phunnel that I use occasionally. Usually I'll use it if I'm smoking a very runny shisha as the design of the phunnel keeps the liquid in the solid mixture and allows it to simmer better, producing longer sessions and heavier smoke/flavor. I still prefer to use the standard bowl that came with my Mya or the Egyptian that I have with my 22". The overall smoke seems better to me. Others might have different opinions/experiences, though. I also have a three-way partitioned bowl that seemed like a good idea but in application I was a bit disappointed. The smaller partitions really build up heat quickly in the bowl and you have to be careful to not burn the shisha. Moving the coals about twice as often as you would for a standard or phunnel bowl. My favorite, by far, is the standard bowl that came with my Mya. I like the depth to it and it's diameter seats coals very well on top so that I get excellent coverage and heat distribution throughout the whole bowl. Hope you find this informational or at least entertaining. LOL Smoke happy.

dus'
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Jhawks240
Hookah Nut

Where can you get a Crown Classic anyway? I can't find anywhere online, most say temporarily unavailable.
Old April 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

What do you mean "with the phunnel it seems you cant really use ql's"?

A funnel is just like any other bowl. Any charcoal you can use normally should work fine on a funnel.

More on topic:
Tangiers funnels are large and well built. They have great properties regarding heat and have a very clear draw. They use a good amount of tobacco but it's not ludicrous. Only bother with the smalls if you can find them.
Vortex bowls are a bit restrictive in regards to draw, take a little less tobacco than a small funnel and take a little longer to heat up for me. They usually take less coal as well.
I have no experience with the crown hookah bowls.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook