Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

in the market for a new bowl

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:44 AM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

Default Re: in the market for a new bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
What do you mean "with the phunnel it seems you cant really use ql's"?

A funnel is just like any other bowl. Any charcoal you can use normally should work fine on a funnel.

More on topic:
Tangiers funnels are large and well built. They have great properties regarding heat and have a very clear draw. They use a good amount of tobacco but it's not ludicrous. Only bother with the smalls if you can find them.
Vortex bowls are a bit restrictive in regards to draw, take a little less tobacco than a small funnel and take a little longer to heat up for me. They usually take less coal as well.
I have no experience with the crown hookah bowls.
from what i've seen and have been told it's best to use nat coals, i guess because of the heat distribution, since the hole in the phunnel is in the middle and close to the top, no matter where you set the coal you're gonna have heat directly over the hole, where as w/nat coals the heat is dispersed more evenly, idk it's just the logic that runs through my mind, i have no complaints w/my new vortex as of yet except i'm out of nat coals and will have to wait to get more since the hookah shop here in town only carries qls, and like i said i will be getting a phunnel next, just a matter of when
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey void View Post
from what i've seen and have been told it's best to use nat coals, i guess because of the heat distribution, since the hole in the phunnel is in the middle and close to the top, no matter where you set the coal you're gonna have heat directly over the hole, where as w/nat coals the heat is dispersed more evenly, idk it's just the logic that runs through my mind, i have no complaints w/my new vortex as of yet except i'm out of nat coals and will have to wait to get more since the hookah shop here in town only carries qls, and like i said i will be getting a phunnel next, just a matter of when
You can use QL coals, naturals are just better in all regards. If all you have is QL just break them in half and arrange them around the edges if you are worried about the heat being drawn down the center. There should be no holes over the spire so that shouldn't be a problem. Or you could use 33mm coals which are smaller than their 40mm brothers.

The reasons that many of us are such supporters of natural charcoal include better flavor, less chemicals we don't know about, less CO and better burning properties. These advantages mean that some people have a tendency to shout about using naturals over QL without actually giving an explanation. This is probably where you got that idea. QL coals will work on a funnel they are just not ideal because they are inferior coals.
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

ah, ok, thanks for the input, but i still wont smoke my vortex w/o some nats on there lol
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:37 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

get one of everything...you know you want to
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey void View Post
ah, ok, thanks for the input, but i still wont smoke my vortex w/o some nats on there lol
Good call. While they will work QL coals are far from ideal.
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:03 PM
ViPa
Hookah Newbie

how come people say you cant use QLs on phunnels? i do it all the time lol
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:34 PM
anis14
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
I initally purchased the phunnel thinking I wouldn't need any other bowl but temptation got the best of me and I got a vortex too lol I haven't got the vortex to work as well as my phunnel yet but I have only used it a couple times and there is a learning curve to all bowls.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:41 PM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
oh yes, i WILL own all three, or five or w/e lol
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:57 PM
kawika219
Hookah Nut

My friend just got a vortex bowl for $6 from a local shop, and its WAAAAAAAAAAY better than the mod bowls even with the tea light candle mod. I can't compare the phunnel bowl since we don't have one, but you WONT be disappointed with it. I have very thick clouds coming out of my china mod hookah. Can wait to try this bowl when my KM comes in tomorrow
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:30 AM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

yes i'm reviving an old thread of mine but i just wanted to say i have an egyptian phunnel bowl on the way now too hehe, all thats left is the crown bowl, untill someone else makes another entirely diff style, like the ice bowl (the one you put water in and freeze) not so sure abt that one but hey you never know
Old April 20th, 2010, 09:13 AM
zlj1989
Hookah Nut

I personally love the vortex bowls and almost swear by them. I rarely have burnt my tobacco when using a vortex. I guess I am kind of bias because all I've ever used is a egyptian/mod and a vortex lol

Old April 20th, 2010, 01:40 PM
cdplayersony
Hookah Nut

Location: Evanston, IL during the school year. Pullman, WA during not during the school year.

If you use a phunnell I definitely suggest double foiling it, it helps a grreeeat deal when using qucklights and draws perfect (just make to poke enough holes)
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:17 PM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdplayersony View Post
If you use a phunnell I definitely suggest double foiling it, it helps a grreeeat deal when using qucklights and draws perfect (just make to poke enough holes)
yeah i dont plan on useing anything but nats on my phunnel or vortex and thnx for the double foil advice
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:06 AM
simmonsjeffreya
Hookah Newbie

While we're on the topic, I've got to wonder if anyone else bought a Vortex Genie style bowl too. I had an original Vortex, loved it, and it broke. I went to a local shop, they only carried the Genie style Vortex so I figured I'd just grab it and order a regular Vortex online again. I've got to say, I prefer the Genie style, and never got around to ordering another standard Vortex. I understand it's made to fit a specific hookah but it sits nicely on my Nammor. I've dropped this thing twice from about 3-4ft. and it hasn't broken yet, and seems to be 'thicker.' Just my two cents, wondering if anyone else has noticed the same.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook