Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Received my KM -not happy

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:55 AM
craigisageek
Hookah Newbie

Default Received my KM -not happy

Hi everyone

I just wanted some advice on my KM "Jewel" that I recently purchased from hookahshop.co.uk...after sitting in a postal depot for 2 days due to the Easter holiday I got up really early to pick up the package. Here is what I got..

Looks ok so far right? However, a bit of a problem - the seal will not allow the stem to fit into the vase.

Also - the ball bearing in the chamber is completely rusted. (No biggie I know..bit still)

Also, when I purchased this hookah it was described as a brass stem. However, there's no weight to it like I expected - I can see a brownish inner stem but not sure if this is brass?

What is everyone's opinions on this? I know that sometimes these pipes can be scuffed, etc. but for the price I paid I'm pretty shocked that this is meant to be a great hookah.

Thanks in advance
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:00 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten
Default Re: Received my KM -not happy

Well if u are un happy with this hookah do not smoke out of it. Do sone more research and the call the vendor if you are still unhappy with what you have.

As for the seal on the grommets my km had a very stiff seal I had to lube the grommets in order to get the
to fit. My worked like a dream once they were lubes. Do not force it though or you may crack you vase.

Good luck and keep us updated!!

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:15 AM
Jessica
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to Jessica Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica Send a message via Skype™ to Jessica

My km is still difficult to get into the vase... so i am sanding down the grommet later today (i have been a lazy bum).. Rusted ball... replace with a plastic BB ball anyways... KM's are not super heavy... but call the vendor.. explain your complaints or concerns and see if they may have either A)shipped the wrong one (it happens!) or... if there was a misprint... if your simply unhappy arrange to send it back... I'm sorry your unhappy with you KM! I truly hope it works out for you! keep us posted!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:22 AM
craigisageek
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the reply - I have changed the rubber seal with the one on my old hookah. However, it still will not fit in the base - though it will fit in the base of my old hookah. I just filled it with some water to test the draw, etc. When I am purging I can still hear air escaping from where the ball bearing is - is this normal? (Sorry for the noob question this is my first single hose hookah)
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

I'll just go down the list point-by-point:
1. The reason why the grommet won't fit is because of the base. The opening is supposed to be 2 inches but, with that good ol' 'hand crafted quality', it will vary somewhat. Do what others have suggested and sand the grommet down.
2. The ball bearing needs to be replaced. You can get by for awhile by wetting it and rubbing it around in a towel or rough cloth to remove most of the surface rust. Also, clean out the dished area where the ball bearing sits.
3. I couldn't find the link on the hookahshop site, but I imagine the 'brass stem' refers to the brass section in the middle (although I suspect it's anodized stainless). Remember there is a difference between 'brass' and 'solid brass'. The hookah you have is made from spun metal and will be lighter. That should not affect the performance.
4. The 'browish inner stem' might be from some buildup leftover from manufacture. Any hookah should get a very thorough cleaning before its first use.
Although it's hard to tell from the pics, the downstem appears to be stainless. Which is just as good as brass.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:02 AM
Xanhonestpuckx
Brother of the Black Leaf

Send a message via AIM to Xanhonestpuckx Send a message via Yahoo to Xanhonestpuckx

Replace the ball bearing with a 6mm plastic bb. No rust issues then.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:20 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Yeah, a tight stem is typical of a KM. I in fact sanded my grommet down and it fits perfect now
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:22 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigisageek View Post
Thanks for the reply - I have changed the rubber seal with the one on my old hookah. However, it still will not fit in the base - though it will fit in the base of my old hookah.
This just means you need to sand down the grommet to fit the smaller opening of the vase. As it has been said, with "hand made" vases the openings are always a little different.

***DO NOT SAND ANYTHING UNTIL YOU ARE 100% SURE YOU ARE KEEPING THE HOOKAH!!!!***

Quote:
I just filled it with some water to test the draw, etc. When I am purging I can still hear air escaping from where the ball bearing is - is this normal? (Sorry for the noob question this is my first single hose hookah)
When you leak test the hookah using **WATER ONLY*** cover the top hole where the bowl would go with your finger, then blow. There should only be air coming out of the purge valve. If no air comes out of the purge and/or comes out of someplace else you have a problem.

Next, still covering only the top hole where the bowl would go, suck in like you were taking a puff. You should not be able to inhale and there should be no hissing noises. This means the Hookah is sealing properly.

Now with my hookahs there is always a tiny bit of leakage when I inhale but I am not too worried since they smoke fine.

***DO NOT SMOKE OUT OF THE HOOKAH UNTIL YOU ARE 100% SURE YOU ARE KEEPING THE HOOKAH!!!!***

Sorry for the bright and bold text but if you do either of those things you will not be able to return the hookah if you are unhappy.
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:10 AM
craigisageek
Hookah Newbie

Thanks to all for the tips - I tried the test above and there's no leakage...I've put the whole thing into perspective in the last few hours. If I only need to sand down a grommet (cheaply available) then all I need to be really concerned about is the stem - which appears to be working fine.
I gave it a thorough cleaning this morning and dried it down, going to fire it up tonight - will keep you informed about the results!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Thanks to all for the tips - I tried the test above and there's no leakage...I've put the whole thing into perspective in the last few hours. If I only need to sand down a grommet (cheaply available) then all I need to be really concerned about is the stem - which appears to be working fine.
I gave it a thorough cleaning this morning and dried it down, going to fire it up tonight - will keep you informed about the results!
Good luck! Glad we could help out even though I did nothing personally
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
GalaxyGreyFA1
Hookah Nut

Thats a nice hookah! Good luck!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

If you are worried about the weight, there are more wrapped KM stems than there are solid km's floating around. It doesnt hinder from your ability to smoke, and you still got a good looking hookah. My only suggestion is, after your sand it and possibly give it a plastic bb, get it a nicer KM tray
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

I'm a fan of expandable silicone grommets. They fit just about everything and can be stacked on top of each other to make a very good seal. I use them on most of my rigs.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:02 PM
craigisageek
Hookah Newbie

Thanks again everyone - the hookah smoked fine but I made the rookie error of not getting my coals hot enough..
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook