Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

First Hooka Problems

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 6th, 2008, 07:20 PM
bigguy
Hookah Nut

Default First Hooka Problems

Hello,

I just got my new hookah yesterday. Well I set it up and all the tabacco did not burn up. Only the top 1/3 burned. Should I add more heat or poke less holes. As for the holes I just sat the metal screen on the foil and used it for a templet. I started off with one 3 kings ql coal but added another about 10 later. this is on a 30" KM Hooka. thanks for any help.

Bigguy
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM
vincent09
Hookah Nut

Default Re: First Hooka Problems

If it is just burning the top of the tobacco, I would say the tobacco is too close to the foil and you need LESS heat. I could be wrong.
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM
bigguy
Hookah Nut

The flavor was nice and did not taste bad. I just wonder why most of the stuff did not burn. The only reason I think is I neen more heat. Maybe I need less holes but I do not know. Thanks.

Bigguy
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

You don't want to burn the shisha. That's what causes a harsh session. With hookahs, you don't burn it you "cook it", this is what allows the smoke and flavor to be so smooth. If you have left over shisha at the bottom after every session, don't worry cause that's the way it's suppose to be. At best it's supposed to turn black if anything, but not ashed and burned. Also, if you're having problems with getting thick clouds, try smoking without the screen and only use foil. It's not necessary to use both at the same time...
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:41 PM
bigguy
Hookah Nut

Hello HookahMaster,

My shisha looked just like you said ( cooked not burnt). I did have problems getting thick clouds. I did not use the metal screen. I only sat it on top of the foil to use it as a templet to poke the holes. After I poked the holes I took the screen off so I was only using the foil.

I did not know I was going to have some stuff left in the bowl when I was done.. I thought it would all be black. Thanks for the help.

Bigguy
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:49 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

oh ok, I get it now. Thickness could be lacking because of many different things. What brand are you smoking? How much coals/heat are you using? Try using a windcover to add heat. I've found this to be very helpful to bring up the thickness I want out of my sessions. Then when it gets thick enough, just take it off. Careful though, if you leave the windcover on too long it could actually cause the session to get harsh and burn the shisha.

And as always, we're here to help...
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:54 PM
bigguy
Hookah Nut

The brand was al amir. I started with one 3 kings ql coal but made it two when it did not seem to be making much smoke. I got to get a windcover. I have a KM and have not found one that will fit so for a quick fix so I will have to try your foil trick out untill I make one.

Bigguy
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:52 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Oh yeah and do you pack your bowl to the rim? Packing more or less makes it harsh and doesn't give you enough heat. What helps is to break the coals into halfs and put them on them edges for better heat management and I swear you'll get better clouds too.
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:06 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy
The brand was al amir. I started with one 3 kings ql coal but made it two when it did not seem to be making much smoke. I got to get a windcover. I have a KM and have not found one that will fit so for a quick fix so I will have to try your foil trick out untill I make one.

Bigguy
Al-Amir should give you thick clouds. It's acually not a bad brand, it's pretty good. What bowl are you using, because this also will depend on how many coals you're supposed to use. If you're using a typical egyptian bowl, then one three kings coals is enough. Remeber, you don't want to put to many coals, because this will burn your shisha and cause harshness. I use one 33mm golden coal whenever I smoke with the basic egyptian bowl (which hold 10-15g)

Usually, as long as it's a small, egyptian bowls only require one coal to provide thick smoke and good flavor. If you have the small 33mm coals, then there is no need to break it up, as they're already small enough. What's your hole placement like? Do you stir the shisha to get all the juices mixed up before packing?
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:20 PM
bigguy
Hookah Nut

Yes I have the 33mm kings.

I did not mixup the bag before smoking it up. I did break it up before installing it into the bowl.

The bowl I have it 2 7/8" wide 2 3/4" high and around 5/8" deep. It came with the KM hookah.

I had no holes close to the sides of the bowl. Should I make some there. Some people say not to make holes in the middle of the foil. Is that true?

Thanks for the help.
Bigguy
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:26 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy
Yes I have the 33mm kings.

I did not mixup the bag before smoking it up. I did break it up before installing it into the bowl.

The bowl I have it 2 7/8" wide 2 3/4" high and around 5/8" deep. It came with the KM hookah.

I had no holes close to the sides of the bowl. Should I make some there. Some people say not to make holes in the middle of the foil. Is that true?

Thanks for the help.
Bigguy
ok, make sure each and every time you go to smoke, that you stir up the shisha before packing it. What will happen is, that the top layer of shisha will dry out since the juices will seap to the bottom. So if you smoke the top dry layer, you won't get as mush flavor or thickness of smoke. Stir it up real good to get everything wet, and then pack it. Also, you should poke holes all over the bowl, center, middle, and everywhere in between. Check out the following video by Sambooka:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k_BCJ1xOQTE

he shows how to properly poke your holes in that vid and also shows everything you need to do in order to get a great session...
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:39 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Did i understand right, you are getting fine smoke & taste, but only part of the tobacco looked burned? IE: You got a good smoke?

((Sorry, but confussed))
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM
bigguy
Hookah Nut

The smoke is thin, the smoke does not tast burnt. Only the tob 1/3 of the shisha looked dark in color.

Bugguy
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:36 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Ah, so yes, it does sound like a heat issue. Have you tried a windcover? That typically helps me when I get thin smoke. although watch things as it can overheat.

PS: normal smoking (1-1.5 hrs) normally leaves my bowl only half burnt as well, so I wouldn't overly worry if the tobacco isn't all burnt black.
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:05 PM
bigguy
Hookah Nut

Thanks for all the help. I will try a wind cover next time.

Bigguy
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook