Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Whoa. Anyone go to buy a Sahara vase lately?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 6th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Marco Poko

Default Re: Whoa. Anyone go to buy a Sahara vase lately?

Ouch.... I have been wanting to get a Sahara vase for a while, considered one for my first hookah but yeah all I heard about there stems were they were junk. Still might have to save up they are pretty
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:40 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

It's getting heated here, no need for that. If enough people disagree with the price it will either go back down or go away completely. Things have a way of working themselves out
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
It's getting heated here, no need for that. If enough people disagree with the price it will either go back down or go away completely. Things have a way of working themselves out
QFT, if they see a drastic profit decrease from raising their prices, then they may choose to lower the price back. Luckily i am not in the market for one right now.
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:28 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
Wonder why, doubt it's greed, it's economics, but what caused the increase
cost on their end?
Supply and demand?
New distributor they are using?
Let's see if we can find out the reason
inflation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmaven View Post
whatever the reason 50 bucks for a vase, any vase really, is crazy. You could get a new hookah.
from what i have seen of their vases they are made in a production shop type setting, i.e. hand blown into a spin mold/turn mold, all the color pattern is hand done as it is made, not painted on like most of the egyptian crap.

honestly if i was to make a hookah vase for someone as a one off it would be close to 200 bucks due to the wage for my self and an assistant, shop rental, color, other overhead then basic markup. most vases are so cheap because it is horrible quality made in sweat shops and as such will not hold up and usually has a lot of issues in it

-matt
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
inflation

from what i have seen of their vases they are made in a production shop type setting, i.e. hand blown into a spin mold/turn mold, all the color pattern is hand done as it is made, not painted on like most of the egyptian crap.

honestly if i was to make a hookah vase for someone as a one off it would be close to 200 bucks due to the wage for my self and an assistant, shop rental, color, other overhead then basic markup. most vases are so cheap because it is horrible quality made in sweat shops and as such will not hold up and usually has a lot of issues in it

-matt
I understand these vases are well-made, that's why I like them. But there's a difference between mass produced hand made and one-off hand made. One off I can understand them charging whatever price, but for a mass product that started at a lower price....

ps - 42% inflation in one week? they dealing in North Korean money?

"From zero to hookah, in nothing flat."
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:47 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmaven View Post
I understand these vases are well-made, that's why I like them. But there's a difference between mass produced hand made and one-off hand made. One off I can understand them charging whatever price, but for a mass product that started at a lower price....

ps - 42% inflation in one week? they dealing in North Korean money?
one thing with hand blown glass be it one off or production still takes all the same skill and time per piece, with production it is easier in some ways and harder in others, making exactly the same size and shape even with a mold it is extremely hard to do. they might have been pushing off taking up the price and then when they finally needed to do it just took it up a big jump instead of inching it up and up. switching production shops, switching glass, switching the color source, etc are all things that could make it more expensive.

if you ever try glass blowing you would understand very quickly why anything hand blown will cost a lot more than a machine made item

-matt
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Like I always say, it could be worse!

http://www.edhardyhookah.com/accesso...lass-vase.html
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:52 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
Like I always say, it could be worse!

http://www.edhardyhookah.com/accesso...lass-vase.html
throw some shitty stickers on a normal vase and charge a lot more, nice
-matt
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

I knowthis is off topic, but look what they want for a G--D--- hose!!
http://www.edhardyhookah.com/accesso...okah-hose.html
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
I knowthis is off topic, but look what they want for a G--D--- hose!!
http://www.edhardyhookah.com/accesso...okah-hose.html
well i would assume when you use vibrators for the mouth piece you end up spending more than just plain plastic ones
-matt
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Madwolf
Hookah Enthusiast

I like My SS Vase as far as its great heavy Glass, it holds alot more water and I think that allows the flavor to say more pure longer, but thats just my two cents....

However long time ago when I bought it i thought it was gonna be a smoke color and not solid Black... It looks mean as hell being black, but you cant see the waterline...

I mentioned this in a vid, and they much have watched, as Now that image they use for the vase i bought is actually black, and doesn't look as light. SS Catches hell because alot of people have rather unfavorable views on Hookah-Hookah, and Im not saying there deserved or not deserved......... Watch my vids to see my opinions on that, BUT as far as glass goes, SS has REALLY good glass. Its solid, it feels sturdy, and the colors are rich. So I can see them wanting to test the waters with a bit higher cost. I mean the dish vase is very popular!
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:01 AM
shawnwhyte
Hookah Pro

Luckily for me, I seem to be the only person who does not find their vases appealing at all. I like my vases like I like my women. Proportional, not a lot of make up, and my stem fits in it nicely.

(PS. Not saying stems don't fit in their vases, just the obvious immature joke to be made)
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:11 PM
MilwaukeeHookah
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwhyte View Post
Luckily for me, I seem to be the only person who does not find their vases appealing at all. I like my vases like I like my women. Proportional, not a lot of make up, and my stem fits in it nicely.

(PS. Not saying stems don't fit in their vases, just the obvious immature joke to be made)
hahahah nice.
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Sleepdeprived12
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Sleepdeprived12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahman1988 View Post
On a side note if anyone on here who has a Sahara Hookah that was bought over the last year and a half (I do remember hearing that ways back they did have nice hookahs but as long as I've been on here nobody comes to my mind that has a Sahara Stem and loves it like people like KM's or even mya's) and gives it a thumbs up.

my sahara smoked great for 4 months before it rusted to crap and little pieces started falling off.....
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM
mikemindt3492
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
That's because their stems are crap. I'm sure the reason they increased the price is because they've seen an increase in popularity of the vases, the large ones fit on a KM stem, and if you were looking for a quality made vase they're your only option unless you want to shell out the cash for a bohemian crystal one. So they decided to take advantage of that.
correct me if im wrong but the social smoke vases will fit a km and look very nice imo, they also seem to be very sturdy
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:41 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
On a side note if anyone on here who has a Sahara Hookah that was bought over the last year and a half (I do remember hearing that ways back they did have nice hookahs but as long as I've been on here nobody comes to my mind that has a Sahara Stem and loves it like people like KM's or even mya's) and gives it a thumbs up.
I have an ssc stem and use it (in fact, lately more than my km). The whole bitching is over the modern "screw apart" stems, not the original hand made traditional egyptians (what I have). I've used mine for a long time (could be over 2 years now) and it smokes fine, great wide gauge and a good purge. The only thing I did replace on it, was the base, I've had the large eternity bottle on it, which wobbled from time to time, replaced it with a sub zero dish.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook