Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Tangiers

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 6th, 2010, 09:14 PM
caveman
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to caveman
Default Tangiers

So why do you have to acclimate Tangiers but none of the others have to?
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Tangiers

I actually don't know, i understand why its important and what is happening when its acclimating but i do not know why we have too.
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:25 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Cause the BBQ and soy sauce they use has to evaporate.

I think it has something to do with the conditions it's sealed under In Cali
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Guido
Hookah Nut

Very good question but I think we will never know because Eric will never tell us.
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:23 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

supposedly, the tobacco goes into humidity shock, tobacco always wants to be the same as the surrounding relative humidity so it must give off or take moisture. now how that relates to horrible smells/tastes and why can i open a fresh thing of tangiers here in va when its packaged in ca and it be fine but the next package will never acclimate i have no idea. i honestly think how ever its made there is just a lot more chance for duds. eric claims the above with RH but also has said that the flavorings used some times are in wrong proportions (since certain chemicals in different amounts give different flavors so airing it out lets some of them evaporate and give the correct flavor)

i dont dislike tangiers but its not my goto smoke, i have gotten more fond of lucid lately cause it has less hassles and seems to be a bit more consistent.

if anyone can give me real scientific info on this (that doesnt require a week to read and/or a MS or PHD to understand) i would love to see it, but i am rather skeptical of the actual scientific backing

-matt
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:15 AM
jakejacobson
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
supposedly, the tobacco goes into humidity shock, tobacco always wants to be the same as the surrounding relative humidity so it must give off or take moisture. now how that relates to horrible smells/tastes and why can i open a fresh thing of tangiers here in va when its packaged in ca and it be fine but the next package will never acclimate i have no idea. i honestly think how ever its made there is just a lot more chance for duds. eric claims the above with RH but also has said that the flavorings used some times are in wrong proportions (since certain chemicals in different amounts give different flavors so airing it out lets some of them evaporate and give the correct flavor)

i dont dislike tangiers but its not my goto smoke, i have gotten more fond of lucid lately cause it has less hassles and seems to be a bit more consistent.

if anyone can give me real scientific info on this (that doesnt require a week to read and/or a MS or PHD to understand) i would love to see it, but i am rather skeptical of the actual scientific backing

-matt
I've heard the explanation with my own ears given by Eric himself. I had the great honor of meeting and hanging out with him at his lounge in San Diego, and it turns out you DO have a MS or PHD to fully understand why! lol He is a brilliant individual and it has something to do with the primary ingredient used to make Tangiers. It is not a short explanation and couldn't recite it if my life depended on it. It's basically the reason why Tangiers is technically the ONLY FDA approved hookah tobacco
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejacobson View Post
I've heard the explanation with my own ears given by Eric himself. I had the great honor of meeting and hanging out with him at his lounge in San Diego, and it turns out you DO have a MS or PHD to fully understand why! lol He is a brilliant individual and it has something to do with the primary ingredient used to make Tangiers. It is not a short explanation and couldn't recite it if my life depended on it. It's basically the reason why Tangiers is technically the ONLY FDA approved hookah tobacco
I had no idea tangiers was FDA approved, i learned something today.
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

I find it funny that if anyone buys a package of Af, Nakhla, etc. that tastes funny, it gets written off as a bad batch or brand inconsistency. When you get a funny package of tangiers you acclimate.
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:17 AM
hookahslisk
Hookah Nut

Google tangiers and go to Eric's site. There is some very good info regarding his products. I finally got a chance to sample some lucid and I'm ready for the noir.
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

FDA Approved!?? So there are chemicals in there that require FDA Approval!? WOW .. that is kinda scary .. I wonder what the "secret ingredient" is??

If someone knows .. please post it! So we can look it up ..

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:07 AM
DRMALIKIA
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
FDA Approved!?? So there are chemicals in there that require FDA Approval!? WOW .. that is kinda scary .. I wonder what the "secret ingredient" is??

Olestra is the secret ingredient, you know the one that causes "Anal Leakage".

That is why you have to air the Tangiers out, otherwise it airs you out, lol.

Last edited by DRMALIKIA; April 7th, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
my question is then why is tangiers noir the only tobacco product i have ever heard of that needs acclimation? i have not heard of any other shisha (to include all forms of hookah tobacco), ryo, pipe, dokha (might have mixed up letters there), cigars, dip, snuff, snus, chaw etc that need it. even the lucid line doesnt need it, it just seems weird.

(note: want to make sure this isnt taken as jumping on you with the whole lack of tone in text)

Quote:

i thought that legally all tobacco had to have the list of what was in it after that flavored cig ban, or was that just for the cig ingredients
-matt
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Special K
Hookah Nut

Quote:

It's not FDA approved as was misstated. It is FDA GRAS. Voluntary program if a firm wants submit something to the FDA saying, "based on scientific whatever, this is generally safe."

Example:

Quote:
Siraitia grosvenorii
Quote:
Swingle (Luo han guo) fruit extract

For use as a sweetener and flavor enhancer in foods, excluding meat and poultry products, at levels determined by current good manufacturing practice, as well as use as a table top sweetener
Here's the inventory of all GRAS notices.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...Listing&id=301

Tangiers itself, or Eric or Tangiers Tobacco or whatever the company, may not be on the list because the ingredient used is already GRAS (generally recognized as safe).

So, no, there's nothing scary about it. Probably a lot of sweetners added to food, etc etc, that are on the list that are probably in a lot of the shisha we smoke, food we eat, etc.
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:23 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Here's a guess:

They are trying to cut a cost somewhere in production by sealing it in the bags they use rather than a tin. They also save money by preserving it differently. They probably figured out a preservative combination that evaporates and the nasty taste of it goes away. They market it by calling it "acclimation" since a fancy term sells more tobacco
Its a business strategy and a production cost scenario
keep in mind this is just a theory and i have no proof of any of this
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
Here's a guess:

They are trying to cut a cost somewhere in production by sealing it in the bags they use rather than a tin. They also save money by preserving it differently. They probably figured out a preservative combination that evaporates and the nasty taste of it goes away. They market it by calling it "acclimation" since a fancy term sells more tobacco
Its a business strategy and a production cost scenario
keep in mind this is just a theory and i have no proof of any of this
except most other tobacco comes in a sealed bag too. the acclimation as a marketing term though wouldnt surprise me and is at least a bit more real than just throwing "premium" on something

-matt
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Ignited
Hookah Nut

All I know is the tobacco does not have to acclimatize due to humidity, that makes zero logical sense considering that the tobacco is soaked in "stuff"(containing H2O). That liquid is going to flow in one direction and one direction only, out. Therefore you are essentially drying your tobacco since humidity will not flow into the tobacco, unless you live underwater. Water moves from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration.

The only thing I see happening with this acclimatization "theory" he puts forth is just oxidation of the tobacco leaf itself and the components in the shisha. This will have a much larger effect in the flavor than the amount of humidity in the tobacco, considering the tobacco is soaked in what is essentially water.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Believe it or not there are numerous types of tobacco leaf and some are more sensitive to humidity shock than others. Cigars and pipe tobaccos have the same issues, so the acclimation and humidity shock theories arent just theories, it really happens.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:24 AM
kingboyb
Banned

All this has to do with the tobacco's absolute humidity matchnig the surrounding enviornment's absolute humidity (dew point). If they don't match, the flavoring of the tobacco gets muted, resulting in the odor people describe as "BBQ".

People buy cigars and respect the fact they must be kept in a humidor to maximize flavor, etc. However, the same people turn up thier nose when you talk about acclimating hookah tobacco.. *shrug*
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:14 PM
manjaco
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Wow Jake thats pretty damn cool, I had no idea
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Ignited
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe View Post
Believe it or not there are numerous types of tobacco leaf and some are more sensitive to humidity shock than others. Cigars and pipe tobaccos have the same issues, so the acclimation and humidity shock theories arent just theories, it really happens.
Except that the tobaccos are manufactured in totally different ways, one is dry the other is wet.
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Ignited
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post
All this has to do with the tobacco's absolute humidity matchnig the surrounding enviornment's absolute humidity (dew point). If they don't match, the flavoring of the tobacco gets muted, resulting in the odor people describe as "BBQ".

People buy cigars and respect the fact they must be kept in a humidor to maximize flavor, etc. However, the same people turn up thier nose when you talk about acclimating hookah tobacco.. *shrug*
Again, this tobacco is wet....how can it match any humidity?
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:53 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

I just want to know why, no matter how well acclimated the tobacco is, I can't get it to smoke right in El Paso. Also an explanation to BBQ soy sauce would be nice too. Ooh, and why its the touchiest tobacco in the world too. I gave up on noir because of the added work without any marginal benefit. Lucid works fine for me.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:39 PM
MechEng
Hookah Newbie

I think some of it has to do with the fact that Tangiers has the the molasses baked into the tobacco. This is the reason why it smokes so long. And the noir line has a more nicotine than most hookah tobaccos and nicotine is extremely hydrophilic - meaning it loves absorbing moisture. Those are the two things that really set the Noir line apart from others so I would guess it has something to do with one of these. And as far as packaging Eric has said that it isn't vacuumed sealed but the tobacco is still warm when it goes in so cooling makes it appear that it is.
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:52 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingboyb View Post

but you can take a cigar out of a 70/70 humidor into something that is much closer to 50%/75*, or what ever and you dont have issues other than the occasional crack or the like, you dont have a cigar that tastes horrible just cause the humidity is a little different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignited View Post
Again, this tobacco is wet....how can it match any humidity?
the reason i have heard is that the ingredients, while wet, are not much water

i am still skeptical
-matt
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hookah Newb
Hookah Nut

The only thing I can think of is similar to what happens with certain cigars. There's a period when a cigar is "resting" it gives off a musty almost barnyard smell, sometimes even a slight sulfur-like smell. The BBQ odor we smell probably that musty/baryard/sulfur smell mixing with the chemicals/ingrediants used in the process of making Tangiers tobacco.

I think that humidity has very little or even nothing to do with the smell. Letting it acclimate is just letting the smell air out.

If it was cigars and you open up your humi and that your cigars "stink" you know to just close you humi back up and let them sit, but cigar smokers know that cigars mature with age, the flavors sometimes change and the rough edges smoothen out.

Shisha, if I read correctly shouldn't be saved past 2yrs.

Last edited by Hookah Newb; April 7th, 2010 at 06:40 PM.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook