Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Tangiers

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 7th, 2010, 06:44 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Default Re: Tangiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookah Newb View Post
The only thing I can think of is similar to what happens with certain cigars. There's a period when a cigar is "resting" it gives off a musty almost barnyard smell, sometimes even a slight sulfur-like smell. The BBQ odor we smell probably that musty/baryard/sulfur smell mixing with the chemicals/ingrediants used in the process of making Tangiers tobacco.

I think that humidity has very little or even nothing to do with the smell. Letting it acclimate is just letting the smell air out.

If it was cigars and you open up your humi and that your cigars "stink" you know to just close you humi back up and let them sit, but cigar smokers know that cigars mature with age, the flavors sometimes change and the rough edges smoothen out.

Shisha, if I read correctly shouldn't be saved past 2yrs.
also though the cigar tobaccos are changing over that time, releasing ammonia and the other gasses which causes some of the stink.

the shisha is in preservatives so its weird that it would continue to change that much right away.

and yes 2 years on opened processed tobacco (the more home made stuff and small shop stuff from the middle east i am told 6 months), honestly some dont last that long, i had some tangiers that never acclimated well but i opened it up today and there is no real flavor smell to it any more and kinda smelled musky and its just a bit over a year old

-matt
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:51 PM
ZenSilk1
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookah Newb View Post
The only thing I can think of is similar to what happens with certain cigars. There's a period when a cigar is "resting" it gives off a musty almost barnyard smell, sometimes even a slight sulfur-like smell. The BBQ odor we smell probably that musty/baryard/sulfur smell mixing with the chemicals/ingrediants used in the process of making Tangiers tobacco.

I think that humidity has very little or even nothing to do with the smell. Letting it acclimate is just letting the smell air out.

If it was cigars and you open up your humi and that your cigars "stink" you know to just close you humi back up and let them sit, but cigar smokers know that cigars mature with age, the flavors sometimes change and the rough edges smoothen out.

Shisha, if I read correctly shouldn't be saved past 2yrs.
Yet when the humidity changes abruptly, Tangiers goes into humidity shock bringing the BBQ smell back.
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:52 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk1 View Post
Yet when the humidity changes abruptly, Tangiers goes into humidity shock bringing the BBQ smell back.
again begging the question though of what is really causing it and if there is really a humidity issue or if its something else
-matt
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM
HookahKev
Hookah Pro

as a tangiers newbie, what is acclimate exactly? letting the shisha sit out for a while?.....
this would be good to know since i just purchased some clove and was excited to try my first tangiers!
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:58 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahKev View Post
as a tangiers newbie, what is acclimate exactly? letting the shisha sit out for a while?.....
this would be good to know since i just purchased some clove and was excited to try my first tangiers!
ya, its best if you get some of the really short and wide ziplock containers, then put the tobacco in it and mix it up with a fork, if it smells like soy sauce or BBQ, or just doesnt have any smell like the flavor its supposed to be just mix it up and leave it out for a while, mixing it every once in a while (every 30-60 mins is good, you can do less or more) until it smells right.

i would bet clove will come out ok with out acclimation or very little by my guess. clove is a very good flavor, a lot of people dont like it by it self but i was ok with it, it also mixes well with a lime (never did it with new lime but did it with the original lime, i would expect it to be as good if not better)

-matt
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

The barbeque sauce smell comes from the dark molasses used. Look up a barbeque sauce recipe... it's mostly molasses.

Glycerin absorbs water from the atmosphere around it (That's why it's impossible to get 100% pure glycerin.) The acclimating process has something to do with this.

Same thing happens when you make your own moassel or reconstitute a product like Zaghloul. It gets better if you let it sit a few days.
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM
chewymatingcall
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
The barbeque sauce smell comes from the dark molasses used. Look up a barbeque sauce recipe... it's mostly molasses.

Glycerin absorbs water from the atmosphere around it (That's why it's impossible to get 100% pure glycerin.) The acclimating process has something to do with this.

Same thing happens when you make your own moassel or reconstitute a product like Zaghloul. It gets better if you let it sit a few days.
Thanks for the explanation
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:20 PM
HookahKev
Hookah Pro

BBQ smells means leave it out for a while and you can/should mix it every once in a while. leave it out like open to the air or sealed in the ziplock back? i have small rubbermaid contains i can use.
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Hookah Newb
Hookah Nut

^^ Leave open to the air

Your tangiers will come with instructions on the label.
Put it in your container, mix it up and leave it out without a cover on. Don't worry, it wont dry up.
Share with your friends on facebook