Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Charcoal and Humidity

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Default Charcoal and Humidity

I don't know if any of you know this, but Charcoal is in fact used commonly to minimize Humidity. Charcoal absorbs humidity like a sponge when left open to air, so if there is in fact humidity in the storage area, your coals will be next to useless in regards to using them as a reliable heat source.

When having absorbed humidity, the coals will in fact Splinter and Crack when burning. This, i believe, is the main cause behind bad batches of Exotica Coals. They go through different humidities whiel being shipped, and also at their origin and destination.

They are made in California i believe, and it is relatively humid over there. Over here in Utah, it is a desert, we have very low humidity, especially during the winter. When the charcoals burns, it is burning at a humidity level that is MUCH lower than itself, so that may be causing the terrible smell some people get when lighting them.

In dry conditions, humid charcoal releases humidity, making it a great humidity regulator.

This makes me wonder..
Would Acclimating charcoal before you use it keep it from smelling and splintering?? I would think that it would do ALOT in regards to the smell while burning and the cracking because it would be at the correct humidity level for your climate.

Edit: I'm doing a test, i'll get back to you tommorow cause it will take 1 day.
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:09 PM
boomhauer
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boomhauer Send a message via Yahoo to boomhauer
Default Re: Charcoal and Humidity

its possible but i usually leave my boxes open and they get worse the longer they are open. how those coals no mercy! hit them fast and hard and smoke the living s*** out of them
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

I don't think it would do anything to them. Lol its not like molasses, which has a lot of juice in it. I think it might make it even worse...I've heard that QL go bad after you've opened them and you haven't used them for ages. Hmm, I dunno if its da same for naturals though
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Ql have that gunpowder like crap on them that wont ignite if left open in the air.

Natural coals release humididty into dry environments, so it has to do something.
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Maybe folks should make a anti humidor to store their coals. An air tight box with silica gel canisters in it to attract the moisture. It's fairly humid here and I have kept my coals (all Exotica's except for some QL's I don't use anymore) on a shelf in my room or by my chair in the living room where i smoke. I haven't had any coal troubles and some have been stored for over 3 months.
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:36 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauer
its possible but i usually leave my boxes open and they get worse the longer they are open. show those coals no mercy! hit them fast and hard and smoke the living s*** out of them
i love your spirit boom! ive been showing this box no mercy. i take the #$%@! out and gut it like its a fish, then throw it on the stove till its red hot. the remaining coals have wet themselves from being so frightened!
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedra
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauer
its possible but i usually leave my boxes open and they get worse the longer they are open. show those coals no mercy! hit them fast and hard and smoke the living s*** out of them
i love your spirit boom! ive been showing this box no mercy. i take the #$%@! out and gut it like its a fish, then throw it on the stove till its red hot. the remaining coals have wet themselves from being so frightened!
Lol :P You guys seriously wanna show your coals who's boss ^_^

I keep my coals closed in my closet, which is where all my hookah stash goes. I have had no trouble so far with where I have stored them
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:30 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

I keep my charcoal in my closet, in a box, with a lot of silica gel packets. And so far, it's been effective in terms of keeping my coals dry.
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:38 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

This is definetly an interesting issue to think about... I personally haven't had a problem with my Exotica's in Miami's constant humid weather... But then again, I don't leave them out in the open. Ever since I read about humidity possibly affecting their performance, I immediately put them in a zip lock bag to keep it air-tight. It's worked out pretty good so far...
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:03 AM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk
I don't know if any of you know this, but Charcoal is in fact used commonly to minimize Humidity. Charcoal absorbs humidity like a sponge when left open to air, so if there is in fact humidity in the storage area, your coals will be next to useless in regards to using them as a reliable heat source.

When having absorbed humidity, the coals will in fact Splinter and Crack when burning. This, i believe, is the main cause behind bad batches of Exotica Coals. They go through different humidities whiel being shipped, and also at their origin and destination.

They are made in California i believe, and it is relatively humid over there. Over here in Utah, it is a desert, we have very low humidity, especially during the winter. When the charcoals burns, it is burning at a humidity level that is MUCH lower than itself, so that may be causing the terrible smell some people get when lighting them.

In dry conditions, humid charcoal releases humidity, making it a great humidity regulator.

This makes me wonder..
Would Acclimating charcoal before you use it keep it from smelling and splintering?? I would think that it would do ALOT in regards to the smell while burning and the cracking because it would be at the correct humidity level for your climate.

Edit: I'm doing a test, i'll get back to you tommorow cause it will take 1 day.

There is alot of truth to what Zen says. I live in Houston, quite possibly the most Humid city in the US. A thing I noticed with Exoticas:

I smoke outside on the patio..never in the house. I started storing my Tobacco and coals in the pantry inside..until my mom told me that I was taking up her space, lol. So I started storing the stuff in the garage. The Exoticas went from Excellent..to just OK. They would let off a stench when being lit and crack all over. However...they still had no flavor to the tobacco and still lasted the regular time...but damn...the difference was night and day. They go from no smell and no cracking...to Horrible smell and cracking everywhere. I thought it was me...but after reading this...and other posts about recent exoticas dilemma...I think they are VERY sensitive to weather and atmosphere.

Just my 2 cents...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook