Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

coconut shell coals

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 10th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

Smile coconut shell coals

I am a fan of Coconara but was wondering if anyone had any comparisons between the different brands of natural, coconut shell based charcoals? I see that AF makes them and so does *******. I'm sure that there are others out there in addition to the ones mentioned above. If you have tried any of them and can rate them it might be nice to have a thread for a reference. I'm personally not a big fan of QL's because of the taste imparted by the QL elements of the coals so if we can maybe get some opinions here just on the coconut shell based coals, that would be cool. Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes.

dus'
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:51 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: coconut shell coals

CocoNara, ShishaCo, Starlight Nats, I dont see a difference in. Price difference is the big one. If you actually pay attention, there may be a 5-10 minute difference in time they are lit. But I think that has to do more with heat management. I love all three of these and use Starlight Nats because I get them locally for a great price.

I have never used AF so I can't help you there. The other coals you mentioned, that I refuse to promote anymore, STINK! They smell horrible.

Also check out Exotica coals. Another natural coal that is pretty good. I use them as my backup coals.
Favorite Hoses: 2 Large Nammor, Caravan, KM Rainbow, Ba Barkir
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:01 PM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

I too use Starlight's naturals because of the price and their availability around where I live. I have used Al Fakher's naturals and they are very much comparable to Starlight's naturals but cost more. Thats really the only difference. They both stay lit for close to an hour and they take about the same time to fully light up on my coil burner and the ash is about the same.
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Dee
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssamHelmy View Post
I too use Starlight's naturals because of the price and their availability around where I live. I have used Al Fakher's naturals and they are very much comparable to Starlight's naturals but cost more. Thats really the only difference. They both stay lit for close to an hour and they take about the same time to fully light up on my coil burner and the ash is about the same.
+1

I get Starlight Nats locally for $3.99 / 72 piece. I tried the AF coals and liked them but felt they were overpriced.
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:12 PM
A_Teator1
Hookah Pro

I've only tried Cocos and starlights and didnt see a difference at all. If i had the option to get either locally I'd probably just go with the cheaper ones. I agree with capt though try exoticas, theyre my go-to coals just because I get them at a local shop for pretty cheap
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:05 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

I use AF cocos on a regular basis. I get them 3 blocks from my place. The price varies depending who's working the counter. They're slightly smaller than a coconara coal. Comperable in size to the Starlites if I remember correctly(haven't used them in a couple years). I'm considering going back to my old favs the Exotica finger coals however simply because they've gone down in price abit and have always been good to me.
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:22 PM
lilbrummy87
Hookah Nut

I found some starlight coals about 6 months back. They were good at most everything but the sizes were not all the same. Some had cracks, most were night flat on any side. The bulged out of the sides making it so they would not sit flat on the bowl. This was just my experience with starlight coals. I am probably going to start using coconara's again myself once I use up the rest of my CH coals.
Vortex bowl
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:36 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

as far as all nats go, i've used:
exoticas: love them, but they were a bitch to break. i heard they've started scoring them, but haven't had a batch. they used to be super cheap locally, but then went to over double price and i'm not payin $17/kg to get them locally
some brand of finger coals that were cylinders: hated those things... couldn't for the life of me get good heat and keep them on top of the bowl
some brand of "all natural" coals that when i opened them were just charred hunks of wood... in regular wood shapes, in chunks between dime-sized slivers and full golf balls. what a bunch of shit those were. couldn't smoke a bowl w/o lighting 2 dozen of them, couldn't manage heat with any regularity b/c of the irregular size/shape. couldn't even successfully break up the huge chunks.
got a box of "he who shall not be named" nats the day the official ban announcement went up: so far, i'm ok with them AFTER they're lit. while lighting them, it smells like satan's bunghole. will try coconaras next. good shape, size, longevity, ash, etc... but always lookin towards better
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:18 PM
iMaD
Hookah Pro

I have to agree with the Captn. and other. Starlite Nats are the best value out here. I get them locally for $3.75/72pc and thats almost a 1/3 of the price of coconara and the others and I have to tell you that I don't see any differnence in the quality. My other choice would be "bulk" lemon or olive nats which sometimes come in round sticks but harder to work with.
Old April 11th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

I am going to have to look for starlights. I have not seen them advertised or maybe I somehow overlooked them. There's no place local I can get them so will have to order from online. But, with the overwhelming response for them, I will have to try them out. Thanks everyone and smoke happy.

dus'
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:49 PM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty62 View Post
I am going to have to look for starlights. I have not seen them advertised or maybe I somehow overlooked them. There's no place local I can get them so will have to order from online. But, with the overwhelming response for them, I will have to try them out. Thanks everyone and smoke happy.

dus'
Online Starlight Nats are a rip off. I believe I saw them for $8.99 for a box of 72. I get them for $3.50 for a box of 72 locally. Your best bet, for cheap coals online, are ShishaCo. I found they were cheaper than Coco's and just as good. But if this is your first time with coconut coals, the choice is up to you. Try them all and see what you like.
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

I have a box of the Shishaco nats here and tried them out. They were good with the only thing I disliked about them being the heavy ashing on the foil. Probably me being picky but the Coco's didn't do that. They hold their ash well until I knock it off of them intentionally, thereby not fouling the holes in the foil. Thanks for the input, though, Capt. I do appreciate it. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Blaat
Hookah Pro

Tom Cocobrico coals are really cheap online, €2,50 for 1 kg, 72 pieces, they take quite long to lit, longer than the other nats I've used, that are Statlight Nats (cilinders) and Bamboocha coals.
But when the edges of the coal are gray I put them with windcover on the bowl and then they are fully lit 1-2 mins later
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:01 AM
CaptHowdy
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty62 View Post
I have a box of the Shishaco nats here and tried them out. They were good with the only thing I disliked about them being the heavy ashing on the foil. Probably me being picky but the Coco's didn't do that. They hold their ash well until I knock it off of them intentionally, thereby not fouling the holes in the foil. Thanks for the input, though, Capt. I do appreciate it. Smoke happy.

dus'
What size holes do you use? I use a thumb tack/Push pin for my foil. It is small enough that ash doesn't clog the holes, yet big enough to get heat through. Glad to help Dusty. I have been looking for cheaper coconut coals, so I have tried a lot, still have more to go.
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

In my opinion, ******* Hookah coals ... STINK! Especially when lighting .. after they are fully lit they don't smell as bad, but they do tend to taint the tobacco in your bowl with a noticeable coal taste for the duration of your shisha session. I was sent some of the CH coals for free to try to get me to use them in videos, but I just wouldn't be able to bare looking at myself in the mirror if I promoted such a horrendous smelling coal to you guys.

I stick to the Coconara and Exotica coals .. two of my personal opinionated favorites (in that order) .. low (to no) odor when lighting and both do not affect the taste of your session when they are fully lit properly. "Thumbs UP"

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:54 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
In my opinion, ******* Hookah coals ... STINK! Especially when lighting .. after they are fully lit they don't smell as bad, but they do tend to taint the tobacco in your bowl with a noticeable coal taste for the duration of your shisha session. I was sent some of the CH coals for free to try to get me to use them in videos, but I just wouldn't be able to bare looking at myself in the mirror if I promoted such a horrendous smelling coal to you guys.

I stick to the Coconara and Exotica coals .. two of my personal opinionated favorites (in that order) .. low (to no) odor when lighting and both do not affect the taste of your session when they are fully lit properly. "Thumbs UP"
In general I have to agree. I think that the tainting of the flavor is not constant but it does definitely happen. Especially with the most recent boxes I had. Then again I was using those coals almost exclusively for a while so maybe I am just used to it and it will blow my mind when I finally get to try exoticas. Here's hoping. lol. I have had a couple times where the coals distinctly made the session worse so I am hoping to eliminate this entirely with my next order.

Recently I had a couple of these coals produce an acrid plastic like smoke when lighting. It was surprising. Up until this point I had only had the problem of them smelling like a bad campfire. These last couple boxes of naturals have had ones that smelled like a tire fire.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook