Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Who Wants To Own A Hookah Lounge?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Sleepdeprived12
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Sleepdeprived12
Default Who Wants To Own A Hookah Lounge?

Apparently someone is trying to sell a hookah lounge in Chicago on the north side, I've never been so I don't know what it's like but I thought I'd share.

$45g and its yours

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bfs/1679510137.html
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: Who Wants To Own A Hookah Lounge?

Wow, looks pretty nice actually. You know, and I mean no disrespect to anyone who lives in or is from Chicago but of all the cities in America that is the one place I would not live. I've been there a number of times and for some reason, though I love city life, Chicago is one of the least inviting cities to me. Just a personal feeling. Now, if it were in NYC, LA, SD, Jax, Chas., I'd be really, really interested. I'm sure someone will be, though. Still, all in all, it does look like a pretty nice place. The lounge I mean. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:18 AM
03rivers
Hookah Nut

Man if I only had that kind of money laying around. Actually though I think I would rather start from scratch because you never know what kind of business they ran before and you don't want to be associated with them if they were bad
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Allan
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Allan

Shit I m working on getingonehere that lounge looks so nice
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:34 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

the hookah lounges in NYC are generally bad with the exception of tuesdays at le souk, tuesdays you get a 5 dollar hookah at the bar, but thats the only day they do that
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Blaat
Hookah Pro

I'd rather like to own a store than a lounge tbh
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM
iMaD
Hookah Pro

I actually looked into this a couple of months ago and decided against it. There was another popular lounge for sale in the Shaumburg area but I came to the conclusion that it is not worth it. Chicago ( and illinois) is not the frendliest place for business and for Hookah lounges it is a loosing proposition. A 2009 law was passed that severly restricted this business. You are not allowed to serve food or alchoholic beverages in hooka lounges except for some caned soda and packaged type snacks like potatoe chips. This severly impacts the business and actually put many Middleeastern resturaunts out of business since moast people like to have a nice meal and smoke a hookah afterward with a drink or two.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMaD View Post
I actually looked into this a couple of months ago and decided against it. There was another popular lounge for sale in the Shaumburg area but I came to the conclusion that it is not worth it. Chicago ( and illinois) is not the frendliest place for business and for Hookah lounges it is a loosing proposition. A 2009 law was passed that severly restricted this business. You are not allowed to serve food or alchoholic beverages in hooka lounges except for some caned soda and packaged type snacks like potatoe chips. This severly impacts the business and actually put many Middleeastern resturaunts out of business since moast people like to have a nice meal and smoke a hookah afterward with a drink or two.
Yeah chicago can be a pain to own a business in that is why you have to try and get some kind of connection that will help you with permits and other "bendable laws". I do agree however that buying a hookah lounge in chicago is a loosing bet because our sales tax and rent is very high. Where my families bar/restaurant is the sales tax is over 10%. I just don't see you being able to make a return on investment on a hookah bar w/out being able to serve booze.
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Sleepdeprived12
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Sleepdeprived12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewzi View Post
Yeah chicago can be a pain to own a business in that is why you have to try and get some kind of connection that will help you with permits and other "bendable laws". I do agree however that buying a hookah lounge in chicago is a loosing bet because our sales tax and rent is very high. Where my families bar/restaurant is the sales tax is over 10%. I just don't see you being able to make a return on investment on a hookah bar w/out being able to serve booze.
psh that's an easy one, find a location where you can open a separate liquor store, and just let the hookah bar be b.y.o.b.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

Michigan is in the process of changing their smoking laws, too, becoming much more restrictive. From what I understand, however, is that if you change your business from a public operation to a private club, then you can get around some of the laws because they apply solely to public enterprises. So, you charge a small fee to become a member of the club and then club members can partake of the fare of the club without hassling with the restrictions of the new laws. Of course, you'd want to check with a good lawyer first to make sure there haven't been any other changes to limit that option before taking leap! Smoke happy.

dus'
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook