Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

so..........

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:31 PM
CarLindad
Hookah Newbie

Default so..........

some of you may know me some of you may not. basically i have a few questions as i am new to the KM world and i feel like i am new totally now with this pipe. so here goes
this is what i got a km trimetal with a pro hose. i usually use a vortex and sometimes a egyptian.

1. how do you usually smoke your km. your set up actually.
i usually use cold water with ice in the base and i get fantastic clouds. now with my km i find that warm or room temp water is better. to clean it i have been using water only no soap or anything like it. just warm water and a brush. i have been getting hit or miss with flavor. starbuzz fantasia fusion you name it it sometimes tastes great other times nothing. so what i wanna know is do i need to try to re think my setup for a km. i use hd foil 2 shishaco coals a windcover and that is it. not sure what to do i love my km but weirdly enough i think i get better taste from my old sahara hookah. help thanks and words of encouragement appreciated.
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:35 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Default Re: so..........

That KM hose will have loss of flavor. Wider gauge less flavor. Colder the water the bigger the clouds, room temp water better taste.
What's more important to you clouds or taste?
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:58 PM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith

That KM hose has a great draw, effortless, but as most people will tell you, the taste/flavor from the open vs restricted/focused draw is less. Cold and iced water gives more clouds, but less taste. Like Ari asked, do you want clouds or flavor? I clean my KMs and others with warm water and dish soap, allowing the vase to warm up if I had used ice, as not to fracture it due to warm/hot water exposure. You do use brushes right? The washable hoses Narbish, Razan and Nammor have removable tips that can be replaced with aftermarket ones with tighter draws.

Last edited by thomas_j_smith; April 13th, 2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:52 PM
CarLindad
Hookah Newbie

well i always used a razan before and had great flavor and great clouds. just checking to see if you guys did anything different with the km. trial and error i guess. no biggie i will figure it out. thanks for the input
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:02 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

imo when you are used to a hookah that has a more restricted draw like a sahara hookah a KM will have a lack of flavor. I believe its because its a wider gauge and more air has a chance to mix with the smoke. Try using a hose with a more narrow guage to simulate the draw you had with your sahara hookah and see if it makes a difference. Or you could try fewer holes in your foil to give a bit more restriction. See if this helps.
Old April 14th, 2010, 04:59 PM
CarLindad
Hookah Newbie

wow so a restricted draw actually gave me better flavor. that sucks not that i am going to step awa from my km. i just have to adjust my smokeing. so more restriction so i get better flavor. got you any other ideas
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:07 PM
wildmancherry1
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to wildmancherry1

send me your km, and ill send you my bambino and we will both be happy?
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM
INCUBUSRATM
Hookah Nut

I smoke my KM all the time and get great cloudage and great flavor... I don't understand...
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:56 PM
kingboyb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by INCUBUSRATM View Post
I smoke my KM all the time and get great cloudage and great flavor... I don't understand...
+1

This is the first time I've ever heard of gauge and flavor being related. I've smoked the same tobacco out of a KM and a Syrian and gotten the same flavor results.
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:49 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

You mention that sometimes you get good flavor and other time you get very little. If you are not changing the hookah between these varying sessions then you can determine that there is another variable.

Flavor is more often a matter of the tobacco and heat management.
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:22 PM
CarLindad
Hookah Newbie

switched to a smaller gauge hose. flavor explosion. thanks for all your input. trial and error. no biggie. just new to km. and no i will never trade it away. lol
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:19 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Here's a little "trick" I use when smoking out of my wide gauge km or egyptian and a narbish or km hose, just hold the mouthpiece opening just slightly up against your upper lip while taking a hit, it restricts the draw, but not to the "sucking a milkshake through a straw" point (at least that's how it feels for me using those stock mya type hoses).

On a side note, great to see you posting CarLindad, I've enjoyed watching your vids even before joining any forums

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:35 PM
CarLindad
Hookah Newbie

thanks for the video response. and i will try that tomorrow. glad to be part of a forum that moves. new reviews will be going up this week as well. had to take some time off due to family issues
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:35 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Try a coconara tip, might help, it does on my km hose. If it doesn't, still a great hose tip.
Share with your friends on facebook