Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How to pack AF into alien phunnel?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:09 PM
tszlo89
Hookah Newbie

Default How to pack AF into alien phunnel?

I just got my alien phunnel not to long ago and i'm having some trouble packing AF into it. I pack it as I do with my medium phunnel but I just can't get a decent amount of smoke with it. When I try to put a 2nd coal on it, the smoke gets harsh so I usually leave it with only 1 coal. Any tips for packing aliens with AF?
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:24 PM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith
Default Re: How to pack AF into alien phunnel?

My alien mini phunnel has done well with DM, Nakhla and Fusion, but I don't think I have tried my AF Soft Black with it yet? This bowl is pretty shallow, so I could see why it would be easy to overheat with it. I use two coals from start to finish without any harsh smoke. Are you hitting it too hard? Are you using a wind cover?
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:22 PM
MechEng
Hookah Newbie

Are you packing it tight or fluffy and then putting foil on it? I pack it 'tight' which really amounts to spreading tobacco in the bowl as if it were peanut butter with an oyster fork and getting it a little below the rim.
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:28 AM
HiToKiRi
Hookah Nut

AF is one of the most heat sensitive tobacco's out there and considering how shallow the alien phunnel is I would imagine that it would be a very difficult task getting it to smoke properly.

The only way I get a good smoke out of AF is with a dense pack so maybe go with a dense pack and make sure the tobacco isn't touching the foil. Doubling up on the foil might help as well.
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:28 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

sprinkle the af to the very top of the bowl loosely all the way around, then jam it down as far as you can evenly around.
this works on the alien i promise. also cook the AF with two coals and a windcover for about 2 minutes
then drop the windcover and rotate the coals prior to the first puff
rotate coals every 5 minutes
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:54 AM
anis14
Hookah Guru

I tend to pack AF tightly in my Small phunnel so I guess that should be applied to the alien phunnel. Because the alien is so shallow loosely packing it will allow the tobacco to heat up too quickly.
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I've expressed my opinion before .. That "Alien" bowl looks to be way too shallow! It looks like it would burn the tobacco.

There is a big difference between "burning" and "smoldering"
- Burning produces huge clouds but you sacrifices flavor and end up with harsh burnt smoke
- Smoldering produces huge flavor and respectable clouds

Try your Al Fakher in a regular Egyptian bowl or a Vortex. You can vary the amount of tobacco to a minimal amount in a small Egyptian bowl or even a Vortex. Just pop a windcover over the bowl with 1-2 coals and you will be able to build up some great heat to produce respectable clouds with a conservative amount of shisha tobacco. Pull the windcover on and off to manage heat and rotate your coals.

Hope that helps ..

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:02 PM
tszlo89
Hookah Newbie

Today i tried packing the alien with some SB and it was pretty good. It was much better than with the AF. Ill try to pack it with AF soon tho
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook