Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu
   

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Alienation and Smoking

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

When I was in the university teaching racket I knoticed that the vast majority of students were actively opposed to thinking about anything not trendy and it made no difference if they came from top end ivy league schools or community colleges. The lives of my students were (with rare exceptions) focused on pop inanities and crass materialism. They were, in short, motivated by nothing more then gut & groin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
i discuss this with my students, i make fun of them so i can get away with it, but i mean the things i say to them. I complain about how they behave as future leaders and how they carry themselves as the top 1% of america. They are supposed to be the best of the best (ivy league) and they certainly are scary in the fact that these are the people that will be deciding how the country shall be ran when i'm retired.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; April 15th, 2010 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Yeah Epic is horrible in truely epic fashion. See: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...ight=lovecraft This notion that should define something like a tobacco product soley in terms of it having no realtionship to what tobacco is really sums up the nature of the current era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rivers View Post
I couldn't agree more Hajo. Just the thought of epic smoke makes me sick to my stomach. I bought some a long time ago when I first started and didn't know any better and it was atrocious.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Biloshambles
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 266
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I took time out recently to checkout stuff on another forum I haven't viewed in seemly for ever and all I discovered that I am alienated from most American hookah types in a dramatic way. Basically what brought this on is that as was scrolling through the reviews I saw a couple of dozen reviews of Epic which is an abysmal, tasteless, glycerin soaked nightmare and found that the vast majority of the reviews went from mildly positive to wildly enthusiastic. Apparently stuff that tastes like cheap fruit candy of some sort is seen as the holy grail of what they think is "shisha". Digging around in the rest of the reviews and the forum in general it seems that tobacco that tastes exactly like Jolly Rancher candy or some energy drink is seen as a brilliant example of what "shisha" is all about. It seems that most smokers view tobacco solely in terms of crappy cigarettes and something that has no place in hookahs.

Of course I am used to realizing that I don't "fit" with the lamestream fashions of passes for "the West" but realizing that mindless hipsters basically dominate a hobby I dearly love to such an extent has me taken aback.

Still, the world being bound in what can best be described as the Kali-Yuga never ceases to disturb me. Recently it came to my attention that the mass "ethnic cleansing" of Palestinians from East Jerusalem is underway and no one gives damn about anything other then attacking Iran. I suppose that since Europeans facing genocide in Mozambique and Rhodesia never seemed to upset anyone I guess it seems obvious that blathering about "we are the world" and other PC banalities defining how the former West views existence no hypocrisy is too crass to be fashionable.

Yet why should this surprise me? Flash mobs rampaging like zombies when a text message pops up leading to mayhem while the "disadvantaged youths" are never held responsible for anyting and "the system" is blamed for not doing enough to make cretins feel "esteemed and empowered". Like wise, I am lectured by morbidly obese slugs that guzzle a case a day about the evils of smoking and the need to ban my favorite leaf in the name of public good. Mean while supposed "Anarchists" openly discuss violence against insipid tea party types while hollering about freedom of speech and smashing up fast food joints. Equally disturbingly are inhuman mobs of college hipsters finding courage behind rioting mobs and bandanas as they savagely beat anyone deemed a "racist" by orthodox Trotskyites. These types belching miasma about human dignity and people power in while wearing Che tees view ebonic babble as English and talk about how "da hood’s got soul" yet drives off in late model Volvos to his suburban dwelling owned by his yuppie parents. It’s like the Dead Kennedy’s "Holiday in Cambodia" is being played out everyday.

Sitting back I see the world spiraling towards a spiritual (and more often a physical) favela where the breads and circuses of old are replaced by the Howard Stern Show, rap, Lady Gaga, junk food and Star Buzz or even Epic. Puffing away on some extremely strong Turkmen jurak I conclude that the masses of twitter flash mobbers and vapid pop culture consumers are as too free thinking persons as SB/Epic is to Shooting Star.
I agree, and I think indoor plumbing and electricity suck....

Last edited by Biloshambles; April 15th, 2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: gut & groin
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Very well put indeed! Joy is to found in that which lets one think without regard to either conformity nor rebellion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookah-burdar View Post
Well Hajo, I think we might share the same views, even if I consider myself unable to express them as well as you did, at least in decent English. Now, I would follow the moto of the International Commitee of Pipe Clubs (CIPC or Comité International des Pipes Clubs) "Relax with your pipe"... By the way, neither is smoking a good bowl of a nice english mixture with plenty of Latakia, orientals, to enrich some good Virginia leafes (with a hint of Louisiana's Perique) a fashionable pleasure these days... Tant pis pour les autres (So bad for the others!). After all, we might feel or might be alienated, but, in the end, we would'nt like to be part of THAT mainstream, would we? Speaking for myself, I would have to admit that I look after rare, old fashionable, outmoded behaviours, clothes, and interests, partly, because I do not want to be associated with the mainstream... It is kind of a reaction... If a modern Gin becomes fashionable and is widely advertised, say the rather expensive Hendricks, for example, I begin drinking BOLS Dutch old fashioned but original (and tasty) Gin (Very old one: Oude Jenever), or even more oldfashioned stuff like BOLS CORENWYN JENEVER, a really primitive stuff, distilled as it was done 200 years ago or more...
Then, of course, we do have so much to learn from other cultures, or just from past generations, our societies so often tend to forget... These days History is continously being manipulated for political reasons, on a scale which might only be proportionated to the development of the Media, the Web and so on, and the spead of some Western (bad) habits... There seldom is, among most politicians, and too many voters, a sincere attempt at trying to approach the truth (of the past or of a given culture or civilisation). So many books, research, or TV programs are biased and try to manipulate, or just stay at a very superficial level... As said, we'd better RELAX WITH OUR PIPES!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Chas
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 278
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

The dark side of relativism.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

When I am told to learn to accept something I get filled with apprehension. As to diversity I fail to see why it's beautiful for the simple reason that integral to the diversity myth is a society or people will somehow be improved by being less like what they are and that any other people will somehow enrich the otherwise less meritorious host population simply by being there. Of course what all that actually boils down to dispossession, homogenization and the advance of the anti-culture. At to change, well when done in accordance with Burkian purdance it may be good but other wise it's degernation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignited View Post
Diversity and change are a beautiful thing, learn to accept them.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

While other generations produced indivuals less likely to wallow in atomism,
decrepitude and self indulgence my problem is not with with any genration per say. Rather the dynamic that provokes such a situation and those to dim to see it as well as those that promote vulgarity for profit or a resentment of those that represent something noble out of envy or a love of destruction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Personally I feel that the current state of the world and pessimistic (not in an insulting way) views such as these are a constant.

No matter the generation, time period or society in question there is always disdain for the new and especially for those we deem useless or misguided. This happened with my generation. We were called generation Y because nobody could think of anything good after Gen X. Both were considered too wild and unguided by our free love, baby boom spawned parents, who were considered too wild and unguided by their hip swinging rock/jazz loving predecessors "the silent generation"
who were considered too wild and unguided by the starters of the civil rights movement "the greatest generation"
who were considered too wild and unguided by the bootlegging, flapper loving founders of suffrage "the interbellum generation" of the roaring twenties
who were considered too wild and unguided by the extremely forward thinking, artistic and disillusioned "lost generation" who were.... You get the idea. This probably goes back as far as there has been conscious thought.

The youth will always be seen as squandering their time, gifts and energies. The new thought process will always be seen as wasteful and unneeded and it will always seem old and mundane/traditional once it's time passes and a new lot are birthed that think the old ways are to be forgotten and their new ideas and thoughts are so radical that nobody born before them could have possibly been so extreme.

It's all pointless to worry about in my mind. I straddle the line. I love tradition and nostalgia but I am a forward thinker. I believe in an almost Darwinian theory of personal existence. To stagnate is to die. But we can't truly move forward unless we look to the past and determine what is truly new so we can make something nobody has experienced before.

Kids are always seen as without motivation or drive. It's part of being a kid. The majority will do little to influence the world and change things (for better or worse) but those are not the people you read about. The books are written about the shining pinnacles of their time. This is why many of us look back and feel that today's youth is so far below their ancestors. They are the same, just with different trends, fads and societal norms.

Some of the kids always grow up. They are the ones our descendants will read about and compare their own children to scoffing all the while about their lack of motivation and direction.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Great stuff by kalutika & KH! An appriciation or understanding of something for what is rather then what's ben transformed into by some trend is a fine thing indeed. What attracks me to narghile stuff is not it's exotic nature, a deep afinity for a culture other then my own or the desire to get a buzz. Rather it's a love of craftsmanship in part but mostly it's because narghiles are condusive to critical thinking and simulating my senses. If a few people find such things a virtue then the hassle of find the really moassels or juraks is worth the effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy View Post
+1 I believe in my Pride of Al-Qamishli review I say this is what hookah smoking is about. Wish more people thought the same way, not just a select few.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMALIKIA View Post
Peering into the future without learning from the past is why my generation and every generation thereafter has failed miserably at life. So many mistakes are repeated time and time again because government, citizens, youth, do nothing to learn from past mistakes. Change just for the sake of change, does nothing but speed up the process of circling the drain. The proverbial downward spiral.
It sounds like you have a bit of Edmound Burke in you and you need to start reading him and Pareto right away. Oh, forget the computer games as anything more then an occasional destraction since they are simply another form of denial and you've got too much of a brain to let it dribble away.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
dlr1881
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 135
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

B very nice rant I must say lol
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Pineal
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Most of this stuff is flying over my head but from what I understand I agree with most of it. The one thing that annoys me is the anarchist comment in your first post Hajo. While there are a lot of people who claim to be anarchists and act like that there are also some people who believe in peaceful anarchism. I hope you don't think all anarchists are just young kids who want to smash things and light Starbucks on fire. I am not ashamed to be a part of my generation because even though there are a lot of people who only care about pop icons, there are also a few of us that can and do actually think. I go out at lunch for a cig break every day and if there is someone outside I enjoy getting them to think beyond American Idol and 2Pac. A lot of them really are smart, but you have to ask them questions that force them to think.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Ignited's Avatar
Ignited
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 321
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
When I am told to learn to accept something I get filled with apprehension. As to diversity I fail to see why it's beautiful for the simple reason that integral to the diversity myth is a society or people will somehow be improved by being less like what they are and that any other people will somehow enrich the otherwise less meritorious host population simply by being there. Of course what all that actually boils down to dispossession, homogenization and the advance of the anti-culture. At to change, well when done in accordance with Burkian purdance it may be good but other wise it's degernation.
You must live a pretty bitter life then, you are protesting a perpetual movement that has been going on for ages and will continue despite your anguish towards it. No, human kind is not on a downward spiral and what you claim as a bad thing is called change and cultural fusion. You are border lining xenophobia.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:19 PM
kalutika's Avatar
kalutika
Status: Offline
Mad Alchemist

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,250
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

All societies and traditions are the result of previous societies and traditions taking on new form as is necessary. There is nothing truly original or "pure". To deny the evolution of new practices and customs is to deny the roots of the practices many hold sacred. I have nothing against the study of tradition and culture. In fact i love it. I see no reason why I should be discouraged from studying, experiencing and practicing the customs of cultures I was not born into.

My views on this subject are fleshed out more in my previous post in this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignited View Post
You must live a pretty bitter life then, you are protesting a perpetual movement that has been going on for ages and will continue despite your anguish towards it. No, human kind is not on a downward spiral and what you claim as a bad thing is called change and cultural fusion. You are border lining xenophobia.
Before you make such presumptuous and ill informed statements about me I suggest that you actually have some inkling about what I believe and why. It’s the polite thing to do and since you are likely to be completely unaware about my weltanschauung I ask that rather then assume and condemn you inquire.

As to xenophobic I’ll over look that it’s a loaded term designed to cause a Pavlovian reaction and simply label one a heretic and point out that I have pretty wide ranging experience with how things are done by people not like me. I’ve lived several countries, fought two wars, seen genocide first hand, travel about 10 months out of the year, have a couple of bachelors, one masters and doctorate and managed to experience then most. If you want some details I’ve give a bit but a little respect would be nice. Also, save the pop psychology since kinda stuff never offers much and doesn’t work at all when it’s based on nothing but empty preconceptions.

As to perpetual movements well, my grasp of meta history is pretty good and a bit more varied then most. If you are up to discussing dialecticism, linear and cyclical theory I’m up for it from several different traditions. That subject is better handled someplace other then here since it's not topic.

Basically, my thread simple demonstrates what I see as the superficiality of the post West after the demise of Gesellschaft with special attention to devolution of moassel. The othr things I address are more tangential but if you want to go into them in depth I may post something else where when I get some time.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; April 16th, 2010 at 12:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineal View Post
Most of this stuff is flying over my head but from what I understand I agree with most of it. The one thing that annoys me is the anarchist comment in your first post Hajo. While there are a lot of people who claim to be anarchists and act like that there are also some people who believe in peaceful anarchism. I hope you don't think all anarchists are just young kids who want to smash things and light Starbucks on fire. I am not ashamed to be a part of my generation because even though there are a lot of people who only care about pop icons, there are also a few of us that can and do actually think. I go out at lunch for a cig break every day and if there is someone outside I enjoy getting them to think beyond American Idol and 2Pac. A lot of them really are smart, but you have to ask them questions that force them to think.
I see what you are saying. Actually I was at a time sympathetic to anarchism and I still find good things to say about Volin, Arshinov, Makhno and Bakunin's federalism. I am not opposed to politcal violence per say nor even anarchists that practice it in certain circumstances. Personally I agree with much of what the Syndicalist Sorel had to say on the topic. What I don't like are roughly 90% of what passes for anarchism in my life time. Especially the infoshop kids and the hygiene impared crust core and antifa types that love to fight when they out number the opposition 5 to 1.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Coyotero's Avatar
Coyotero
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mesa, Az.
Posts: 2,391
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Hajo,

In relation to all of this, I find it interesting the way people respond when offered a truly liberating real life experience.

Let's continue with the moassel analogy, as it's already been the framework of discussion and it's something we're all familiar with.

We've got a vast majority of people here who are into smoking the modern stuff. Be it Starbuzz, Al Fakher, Epic, What have you. However, when Soft black hit the market, it was big news. The recent boom in popularity of Desi Murli is an even more relevant example. Even more so would be the number of people clamoring over the small volume of The Pride of Al Qimishli which you have so graciously provided us with.

Once the veil of mindless consumerism is ripped away, people become intrigued with what lies behind it. Something real. Something that stands on it's own quality without an artifically inflated price or dolled-up packaging. For a fleeting moment, they are awakened to the reality that is the depth of the world. A temporary escape from the pressure of being force-fed the soma.

Ignited, I'd like to say something to you in response, as it would seem Hajo and I are of like mind:

I think you mistake the rejection of multiculturalism as a rejecting of differing cultures, and it couldn't be further from the truth. I'd bet dollars to donuts that Hajo has more real-world experience dealing with a multitude of different world cultures than anyone else on this board. We don't reject cultures, or even the interaction of cultures. It's not xenophilia, rather it's a desire to protect those cultures and that which makes them unique. This modern idea of multiculturalism has brought Mickey Mouse to Paris, KFC to Mecca, and Hookahs to China (And we all know how abysmal those are!).

It's got nothing to do with isolating oneself from other peoples. It's got everything to do with making sure those people stay who they are, rather than becoming clones of ourselves.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:55 AM
photolinger's Avatar
photolinger
Status: Offline
Arabian Sensation

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,364
Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

I share the same spite towards the tobacco and hipster lifestyle that seemed initiate this thread (check out my epic cotton vid review if you don't believe me). And while I do agree with Coyotero on the recent desire for DM and Softblack and whatnot, I cannot but help to feel that its really localized and by people who already truely respect a more full bodied tobacco flavor. A lot of you know I was back on R&R recently and in my little time back, looking at the city I am stationed at, looking at the lives of the people there, it bothers me, because all that seems to exist out there is this force that seems to be behind the hipsters and by what is presenting itself as culture. While there are still good aspects to mainstreaming, apparently deviating from that path is tantamount to sentencing oneself to be a pariah. Apparently thinking that a vocoder doesn't have to be used in each song, that Tiger Woods's problems are his own, that I don't care what the divorced couple from that reality show are saying about each other now is wrong. Not only has this creeping phenomena taken over, but it has gained the ability to arm itself and attempt to hunt out competing thoughts and preferences. This perpetual movement is believed to be beneficial because change is being taught as always a good thing, when in reality, sometimes tradition exists because its the better way to handle things. I am actually to frustrated to write out something as lengthy as some of the posts above, but let us just say I am looking forward to coming back home, going back to school, and distancing myself from the offensive reaches of whatever you want to call this.
__________________

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Dusty62's Avatar
Dusty62
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Escanaba, Michigan
Posts: 1,729
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

I here ya Hajo. Ya know, unfortunately, though, as for the "candy" shisha goes, it's and industry, a business, and business goes where goes the money . . . unfortunately the money these days is leading to syrupy, mass market candy flavored trop instead of more traditional blends of tobacco. I am not making excuses for the trend. Just laying the blame where I see the blame owned. As long as we stive for a social system where gain is the driving force then wherever the greater gain is viewed is where the social trends will also tend to migrate.

As for the other well stated points you make . . . I wish I could comment on them. But I feel I'm too far removed from them to really be objective. Still, your point was well put and well taken, here anyway. I am in agreement with you. Changes need to come about and I believe that they are, just in a fashion that might not be recognizeable at the time. Eventually the wolves will all eat each other up and what will be left, well, I guess we'll see.

Take care friend and smoke happy.

dus'
__________________
Al Fakher Large Solid and a bowl of DM . . . life is good!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biloshambles View Post
I agree, and I think indoor plumbing and electricity suck....
Actually technology is in large measure a product of culture and culture is overwhelmingly a product of demographics. Personally I agree with
Martin Heidegger's treatment of technology and culture. The matter is a bit involved to get into here since it also has a lot to do with psychometrics but you want to discuss the matter I suppose we could if I can find the time.

Of course I suppose you could just be lampooning my comments and suggesting I am some Col. Blimp style crank. If so you need to understand that Modernity is synonymous with technology and Traditionalism is neither a longing for an idealized past nor an irrational, Ludite like rejection technology.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

What I’ve noted is that people squawking about the glories of diversity use the term to promote the notion that the formerly Western World should be less Western and more reflective of either the anti-culture or various non-Western culture. They never seem to suggest that a non Western society needs more Europeans or to be less like what ever the indigenous culture has made it to be. As a result the diversity proponents actually are unconsciously either cultural nihilists, Bolshevists or ethnic advocates and as such they confuse homogenization with diversity. Personally I find quite a lot to commend in Arabic, Persian, Turkish and a wide range of Asian cultures and fail to see any fault within those cultures so severe that they need to accommodate themselves to either the moribund and rapidly dying West or to the banalities of the anti-culture.
As to the moassel analogy that started off this thread and Coyotero’s take on it I’d say that yes, when one experiences something real rather then something contrived it can be a sort of epiphany like revelation (to put it crassly) because it’s honest, simple a reflects something that has been largely lost to use. For me the craftsmanship that goes into real moassel is as appealing as the taste that remind one something other then food or drinks one can get anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
Hajo,

In relation to all of this, I find it interesting the way people respond when offered a truly liberating real life experience.

Let's continue with the moassel analogy, as it's already been the framework of discussion and it's something we're all familiar with.

We've got a vast majority of people here who are into smoking the modern stuff. Be it Starbuzz, Al Fakher, Epic, What have you. However, when Soft black hit the market, it was big news. The recent boom in popularity of Desi Murli is an even more relevant example. Even more so would be the number of people clamoring over the small volume of The Pride of Al Qimishli which you have so graciously provided us with.

Once the veil of mindless consumerism is ripped away, people become intrigued with what lies behind it. Something real. Something that stands on it's own quality without an artifically inflated price or dolled-up packaging. For a fleeting moment, they are awakened to the reality that is the depth of the world. A temporary escape from the pressure of being force-fed the soma.

Ignited, I'd like to say something to you in response, as it would seem Hajo and I are of like mind:

I think you mistake the rejection of multiculturalism as a rejecting of differing cultures, and it couldn't be further from the truth. I'd bet dollars to donuts that Hajo has more real-world experience dealing with a multitude of different world cultures than anyone else on this board. We don't reject cultures, or even the interaction of cultures. It's not xenophilia, rather it's a desire to protect those cultures and that which makes them unique. This modern idea of multiculturalism has brought Mickey Mouse to Paris, KFC to Mecca, and Hookahs to China (And we all know how abysmal those are!).
It's got nothing to do with isolating oneself from other peoples. It's got everything to do with making sure those people stay who they are, rather than becoming clones of ourselves.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Hookah-burdar
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 173
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
What I’ve noted is that people squawking about the glories of diversity use the term to promote the notion that the formerly Western World should be less Western and more reflective of either the anti-culture or various non-Western culture. They never seem to suggest that a non Western society needs more Europeans or to be less like what ever the indigenous culture has made it to be. As a result the diversity proponents actually are unconsciously either cultural nihilists, Bolshevists or ethnic advocates and as such they confuse homogenization with diversity. Personally I find quite a lot to commend in Arabic, Persian, Turkish and a wide range of Asian cultures and fail to see any fault within those cultures so severe that they need to accommodate themselves to either the moribund and rapidly dying West or to the banalities of the anti-culture.
As to the moassel analogy that started off this thread and Coyotero’s take on it I’d say that yes, when one experiences something real rather then something contrived it can be a sort of epiphany like revelation (to put it crassly) because it’s honest, simple a reflects something that has been largely lost to use. For me the craftsmanship that goes into real moassel is as appealing as the taste that remind one something other then food or drinks one can get anywhere.
I couldn't agree more. Bravo Hajo!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Hajo Flettner
Status: Offline
Hookah Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,746
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

My friends photolinger and dusty made a lot excellent points. I do think that the extent to which the masses are being defined by trivialities has gotten to the point that what has come to be known as culture is in fact just an endless series of corporate created fads. It also seems that such a situation is favoured by those that run the global plantation because rootless, fad obsessed consumers are easier to manipulate and control then are those that understand themselves as a unique refection of their ancestors with some sort of responsibility to provide a sense of continuity from the past into the future.
Dusty is of course right that the meteoric rise of faux moassel is a product of big companies finding a market. Consumerism of course is possible because local tastes, customs and ways have given way to homogenization making the tastes of what is readily available largely a matter of the lowest common denominator and economies of scale which naturally benefit huge multinational companies. American bier was quite varied and far more flavourful a couple of generations ago then it is now so bier fans have faced the same discouraging trends that we smokers have faced. The same applies to all forms of food and drink and anything else based upon craftsmanship.
The bottom line is that concentration of economic power is as undesirable as the concentration of political power if not more so. Moassel is merely a reflection of the anti-culture taking something sublime and transforming it into something banal.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:41 PM
ariberns's Avatar
ariberns
Status: Offline
Hookah Master

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: nyc
Posts: 5,971
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

The industry goes where the industry goes. However, I dont think I would be wrong in making an assumption that the members on this site are here because they desire the most satisfying hookah experience possible. The average hookah smoker does not go seeking out hookah communities. They go to a lounge and order by flavor not by brand, and then they go to the store by a cheap little hookah and attempt to duplicate the lounge experience at home. A few of those people wind up becoming curious and refine their tastes, others might have refined their taste but have little access to any variety at all. I would hope that everyone here have a natural curiosity to try anything out there. I as well want the best hookah sessions I can achieve. Thanks to this community I have found new tobaccos and been able to try things that are not mass produced and "candyish".
The masses go where the masses go, it is my desire to be separate from the masses.
__________________
Hookah Pro Legitimate hookah without the bias.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:09 PM
acer910
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

why worry?

make your own world and live in it.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Dusty62's Avatar
Dusty62
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Escanaba, Michigan
Posts: 1,729
Default Re: Alienation and Smoking

Hajo, how come I can say it but you make it sound so much better? LOL Great analyzation of the comments, btw. This is a great post, in my estimation. Smoke happy.

dus'


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
My friends photolinger and dusty made a lot excellent points. I do think that the extent to which the masses are being defined by trivialities has gotten to the point that what has come to be known as culture is in fact just an endless series of corporate created fads. It also seems that such a situation is favoured by those that run the global plantation because rootless, fad obsessed consumers are easier to manipulate and control then are those that understand themselves as a unique refection of their ancestors with some sort of responsibility to provide a sense of continuity from the past into the future.
Dusty is of course right that the meteoric rise of faux moassel is a product of big companies finding a market. Consumerism of course is possible because local tastes, customs and ways have given way to homogenization making the tastes of what is readily available largely a matter of the lowest common denominator and economies of scale which naturally benefit huge multinational companies. American bier was quite varied and far more flavourful a couple of generations ago then it is now so bier fans have faced the same discouraging trends that we smokers have faced. The same applies to all forms of food and drink and anything else based upon craftsmanship.
The bottom line is that concentration of economic power is as undesirable as the concentration of political power if not more so. Moassel is merely a reflection of the anti-culture taking something sublime and transforming it into something banal.
__________________
Al Fakher Large Solid and a bowl of DM . . . life is good!
Reply With Quote
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is smoking hookah really smoking? Rafi18 Hookah Discussion 78 June 23rd, 2010 12:12 PM
Smoking too much? jimmmmaaaa Hookah Discussion 15 April 30th, 2009 11:55 AM
bad day of smoking mattathayde Hookah Discussion 2 November 29th, 2008 11:48 PM
Smoking Xazon General Yada-Yada 4 October 8th, 2008 05:40 AM
who is smoking right now? ChronicHookah Hookah Discussion 15 May 25th, 2008 03:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Skin Design By vBSkinworks



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2007 - 2012, Hookah Pro Inc.