Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Vortex Bowl Question

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Default Vortex Bowl Question

Hello, I'm new to this forum, so I am sorry if this is in the wrong place or if this question has been answered, I searched and Couldn't find anything to answer my question.

I just purchased a Vortex Bowl. And I have a question about coal placement.

Should I place my coal in the center? Or around the edge? Should I use more than one?

I am using 33mm Three Kings Coals. I have a loose pack and I don't seem to be getting the smoke I see advertised. I know it will take some trial and error, but I am unsure of the coal specifics.

Thanks for your time!
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:53 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: Vortex Bowl Question

What tobacco are you using?

Usually you start out with coals on the edges and as the session goes on you rotate them and move them closer to the center.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:00 PM
anis14
Hookah Guru

Some tobacco's need more heat than others. Try using two coals on the edge and move them around the bowl as you smoke. Move them centrally if you want more heat to the tobacco.
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

The amount of coals depends on what moassel you are using. You should always start with the coals on the outside of the bowl and move them around the edges. Putting a coal in the middle of a vortex is a bad idea because it will mainly be heating the spire and not your tobacco.
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:13 PM
A_Teator1
Hookah Pro

Yeah try to stay away from the middle. I don't know about 33mm but i use two exotica pieces on opposite ends of my vortex. If you can try out some nats you might like them better
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM
requi3m
Hookah Nut

When I was using three kings, I used two and it did the job pretty well and I was getting a fairly large volume of smoke.
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
kawika219
Hookah Nut

When I use my vortex with SB, I put 3 coco-nara coals around the edge. I get some pretty massive clouds
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Thanks for the response everyone, I'm smoking starbuzz. I put the coals on the edges and once it gets going it burns very nice.

I have some Hypnosis tobacco samples that they sent me, It seems to burn very easy, when I smoke that should I use one coal and move it around?
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM
kawika219
Hookah Nut

how many did you use on the hypnosis?
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

I never smoked it on this bowl. I was using the Egyptian. But its honey based and really light.
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Rayjp
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika219 View Post
When I use my vortex with SB, I put 3 coco-nara coals around the edge. I get some pretty massive clouds
[FONT=Verdana]I do the exact same thing. Also try a scalli mod. Great Smoke.[/FONT]
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:29 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjp View Post
[FONT=Verdana]I do the exact same thing. Also try a scalli mod. Great Smoke.[/FONT]
You can't use a scalli mod with a vortex. The mod was designed for a funnel and the vortex was designed to eliminate the need for one. To use a mod with a vortex would be poorly fitted to the bowl and not really do anything.
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:09 PM
kawika219
Hookah Nut

i was wondering about that lol
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:44 PM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

i use 3 natural/coconut coals such as coconaras around the outer most part of the bowl, that's the best setup i've seen/tried so far
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Hookah_Native
Hookah Nut

Like most people have prolly said, try and use some kind of natural. I started out using QLs but when i found the wonderful world of coco nara my sessions have gotten much better
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM
tmv8888
Hookah Pro

here's a question, normally, due to the fact that i cannot buy nats locally, i use three kings, but i buy the bigger 40?mm ones and i put it right in the center because it normally works pretty well with the vortex. smoke never gets harsh and its never too hot. i still get a nice even distribution of heat too. Is that ok? at least until i can get some nats online?
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:41 PM
NazUk
Hookah Nut

i had this problem not getting any smoke, but then i got a windcover an Bam it works everytime i think there wasnt enough heat hitting the bowl once it gets going i just take it off to manage heat
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM
kaz188
Hookah Nut

i recently just got a vortex too and am having some problems....

set up- ice and water in base, SB WB mint, 2x foil and medium holes spread out. (watched the capt howdy vid and did it just like him) and 2 3kings no windcover

the smoke was very very thick but it was getting harsh too easily...the tobacco was packed very loosely and there was 100% none touching the foil.

suggestions?
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM
simmonsjeffreya
Hookah Newbie

Try packing your tobacco a bit tighter. I find when I use my Vortex compared to my Alien Mini Phunnel, the tobacco needs to be packed slightly tighter. The only way I could explain it is it's loose enough you can push down on it, but it will spring back to where it was before you pushed it down. Also, don't put holes near the center, and make a Lot of tiny, tiny holes. I put 2x foil on and use a 27g needle to poke my holes in 4 rings around the outside, spaced about 1/8" apart. I then start the bowl with 3 coals, then about 5 minutes in remove one and use a wind cover as needed. This method always gets me great flavor throughout the session, and typically lasts 45 minutes, when I add 2 new coals, and finish up about an hour and 20 minutes total.

Basically, it takes time to get the packing density, foil and hole pattern, and coal/heat management down correctly. It's definitely much different than using a standard egyptian bowl.
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Rayjp
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
You can't use a scalli mod with a vortex. The mod was designed for a funnel and the vortex was designed to eliminate the need for one. To use a mod with a vortex would be poorly fitted to the bowl and not really do anything.
You have to mod the mod, but it does work like a champ. On the vortex bowl air holes are high on the bowl. Putting the mod on lowers the air holes forcing air all the way to the bottom of the bowl.
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:54 AM
vinit2cool
Hookah Newbie

try breaking the ql coals in half and then use 3 half pieces
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:07 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjp View Post
You have to mod the mod, but it does work like a champ. On the vortex bowl air holes are high on the bowl. Putting the mod on lowers the air holes forcing air all the way to the bottom of the bowl.
I see what you are saying... interesting concept.

But in that use case you don't even need the Vortex. Basically you are treating it like any other phunnel and eliminating the benefit of the Vortex design so might as well stick with the phunnel.
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oSPANNERo View Post
I see what you are saying... interesting concept.

But in that use case you don't even need the Vortex. Basically you are treating it like any other phunnel and eliminating the benefit of the Vortex design so might as well stick with the phunnel.
Yeah it seems almost counterproductive. Either stick with the phunnel and a mod or use the vortex for how it was meant to be used.
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:57 PM
ZCS777
Hookah Newbie

use 2 coals, preferrably natural coals.. and place them around the edges and work your way to the center throughout the session.. sprinkle the tobacco and make sure there is none touching the foil!!!
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:04 PM
harry_boii
Hookah Newbie

i must say i perfected this and can get upt to 3-4 hour sessions now for a packing method what you must do is pack a very tight layer of tobacco on te bottom about halfway between the bottom and where the holes start then for the other half do a fluffy pack using about half as much tobacco then use heavy duty foil to get it started use 3 coals then move one off and add a windcover your session should go nicely
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook