Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Cant taste..doing too much?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 19th, 2010, 03:21 AM
ozlopez
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ozlopez
Default Cant taste..doing too much?

Ok so im beginning to notice that lately im having a hard time tasting any flavors that we might use when smoking. Has anyone else gone through this? Idk if its maybe that im smoking too much that im loosing or getting use to the flavors so much that i dont appreciate it anymore. My gf isnt having this problem and thinks im crazy or that its "sinuses". We smoke almost everyday or at least every other day for a few hours each time.
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: Cant taste..doing too much?

The whole "taste" thing relys on the molecules of whatever flavor is present getting down into the receptor sites on your tongue so that they can be sensed. This bio system requires liquid to be present to carry those same molecules to the receptor sites. So, maybe ur mouth has been dry (a natural result from smoking) and the flavors aren't registering. Try drinking more water as you are smoking. Take a drink before taking a pull on the hose, hydrating your mouth and allowing the molecules of flavor from the shisha to be carried to where they need to go to taste them. Just a shot in the dark but it's a plausible solution. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:48 AM
kayoz
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via MSN to kayoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlopez View Post
Ok so im beginning to notice that lately im having a hard time tasting any flavors that we might use when smoking. Has anyone else gone through this? Idk if its maybe that im smoking too much that im loosing or getting use to the flavors so much that i dont appreciate it anymore. My gf isnt having this problem and thinks im crazy or that its "sinuses". We smoke almost everyday or at least every other day for a few hours each time.
Babe your crazy Its ur hose lol jk...Well we were drinking water right now, was there a taste to the shisha?...Good answer Dusty62 Thanks!:P
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

'Bout time that nursing education came in handy for something! LOL Thanks, kayoz. Smoke happy.

dus'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoz View Post
Babe your crazy Its ur hose lol jk...Well we were drinking water right now, was there a taste to the shisha?...Good answer Dusty62 Thanks!:P
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:28 AM
partylobster
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to partylobster

idk about all that scientific stuff, but I find that different coals affect the taste for me. Natural ones bring out the taste more. Also, if I make the bowl too hot, not yet to the point of harshness, then the flavor leaves too. Have you changed the coals that you've been using? If so one may burn hotter than the other so experiment around to try and emulate what your last coals were doing.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:30 AM
partylobster
Hookah Nut

You could also use your last coals again to see if
1. The coals were the problem
2. If you really can't taste anymore. If you can't taste with old coals you likely are dehydrated or whatever Dusty62 said. :P
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:30 AM
partylobster
Hookah Nut

Oh yeah, your shisha could be getting old too. Buy new shisha.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:48 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty62 View Post
The whole "taste" thing relys on the molecules of whatever flavor is present getting down into the receptor sites on your tongue so that they can be sensed. This bio system requires liquid to be present to carry those same molecules to the receptor sites. So, maybe ur mouth has been dry (a natural result from smoking) and the flavors aren't registering. Try drinking more water as you are smoking. Take a drink before taking a pull on the hose, hydrating your mouth and allowing the molecules of flavor from the shisha to be carried to where they need to go to taste them. Just a shot in the dark but it's a plausible solution. Smoke happy.

dus'
That's great advice. Drinking water is a great piece of advice any way. It cleanses the palette, brightens flavors and helps you avoid nicotine poisoning AKA hookah sickeness.
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty62 View Post

dus'
QFT +1 Dust, drinking water helps you register the taste.
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM
andrewnnix
Hookah Pro

another good way of cleansing the palate is to eat a couple of bites of a saltine cracker then take a few drinks of water. this helps clear all your taste buds for proper taste. i had to do this when i did a taste test for beef jerky.
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:15 PM
ozlopez
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ozlopez

thanks for all that help guys. i think its probably just that the shishas getting old. it isnt the coals cuz ive been using the same two types coals since i started smoking and i use to get flavor with them before. ima try buyin a new flavor n see if i can taste it. thanks guys!
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:16 PM
A_Teator1
Hookah Pro

huh never thought of the saltine cracker thing. Ill have to give it a try to see if my flavors can get more intense than usual
Old April 19th, 2010, 03:38 PM
aimsniff
Hookah Newbie

putting a different liquid in the base helps bring out flavors. if u have blueberry in your shisha and you put blueberry juice in the base the flavor will come out better
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:49 PM
King Shisha
Hookah Newbie

I had this problem and I started to smoke with the tip of my tounge at the bottom of the hole of my hose sounds dumb but it helped me!
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Dxter2917
Hookah Newbie

this happens to me too...some days its like wow this taste like a freakin watermelon and other days its like wow i taste nothing
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM
partylobster
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewnnix View Post
another good way of cleansing the palate is to eat a couple of bites of a saltine cracker then take a few drinks of water. this helps clear all your taste buds for proper taste. i had to do this when i did a taste test for beef jerky.

I never thought of a cracker either. Another thing though would to be to chew on some ginger because they give you that stuff with sushi to cleanse the palate between pieces. They also make this special palate cleansing water, I had it at the Coke Factory in Atlanta when sampling all the different Coke flavors they had over the world they had, and it really did work.

You might want to look into that water because it also keeps you hydrated. Two birds one stone!
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:58 PM
partylobster
Hookah Nut

Oh, I went to Wal-Mart the other day and saw a whole shelf dedicated to extracts of different flavors... not only vanilla and mint, but they also had stuff like blueberry and some other spices. What if you were to add a drop or two of this to a bowl? It could really bring out flavor and add interesting mixes, but I guess it could also screw everything up somehow too. hmmm
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:53 PM
cdplayersony
Hookah Nut

Location: Evanston, IL during the school year. Pullman, WA during not during the school year.

dude, I went through the same thought process last night. I definitely feel I can't taste the flavors as well. Coals are definitely huge. Coconaras>>>>quicklights. One thing that helps for me though is to put two pieces of foil on the bowl when having to use quicklights.

I used to steal and put some vanilla extract people would leave out in our dorm kitchen into the vase and thought it helped make the flavor fuller (was smoking tonic white peach and exotic sex back then)
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM
tapatio10floz
Hookah Nut

this happened to me once mainly because my taste buds were pissed off at me for eating really spicy tacos
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM
cdplayersony
Hookah Nut

Location: Evanston, IL during the school year. Pullman, WA during not during the school year.

^haha.

I think for me, I was really itching for a smoke and I feel like that made me taste the flavors less. I was just kind of in a really weird mood too.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook