Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

leaving hookah set up

Hookah Discussion

View Poll Results: is it okay to leave my hookah set up water in the base and everything
yes 31 46.27%
no 36 53.73%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Share

Old April 19th, 2010, 07:15 PM
tapatio10floz
Hookah Nut

Default leaving hookah set up

a lot of times when I smoke I don't feel like emptying the bass filled with water and disassembling my hookah so I just leave it set up water in the base and everything. Is this okay to do or will it eventually create rust? I usually only leave it there one day or so
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:25 PM
MAD_HATTER
Hookah Master

Default Re: leaving hookah set up

no that's nasty LOL.. your next session will taste like the previous flavor smoked..

i always clean my rig.. sometimes not as good but i always scrub the stem.. that's a must for me
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM
tapatio10floz
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD_HATTER View Post
no that's nasty LOL.. your next session will taste like the previous flavor smoked..

i always clean my rig.. sometimes not as good but i always scrub the stem.. that's a must for me
I give it a deep clean and a scrub a dub dub the next day and I don't smoke every day maybe 1-2 times a week
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:29 PM
cdplayersony
Hookah Nut

Location: Evanston, IL during the school year. Pullman, WA during not during the school year.

Ever since getting my temsaah, i clean it pretty much after each and every use. With my mini mya I wouldnt and would let it sit out for several days, its actually sitting out right now. I feel like its not bad using it again if I use the tangiers bowl cuz the juices dont run into it and if theres any flavor in the water, its not really enough to notice.
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Pixelz
Hookah Pro

In the long run depending on the quality of your hookah, it could rust, it looks like you'll be fine since you only smoke 1-2 a week, and as long as it doesn't sit for over 24 hours and you forget about and it suddenly ends up sitting there for a week you'll be fine.
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Pixelz
Hookah Pro

Sony -Gross. XD
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:38 PM
andrewnnix
Hookah Pro

i leave mine set up for a couple of days at a time. i really cant tell a difference unless the water has be changed to a dark red because of the juices. then i clean it. i usually do a good cleaning once a week. as far as flavor messhing with the juices in the stem and base well i can never tell the difference. the only flavor i taste is the one im smoking at the time. as far as the bowl goes i usually clean after every session. cleaning all of my hookah stuff in general is really hard to do because i dont have running water at my house. so its hard to get a rally good clean. i do the best i can with what i have.
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:42 PM
cdplayersony
Hookah Nut

Location: Evanston, IL during the school year. Pullman, WA during not during the school year.

ahaha. I honestly just leave it out there mostly cuz its the one I let my roommate smoke and he never bothers to clean it or disassemble it or anything so I just let him suffer with it and hide my temsaah away in my room, but I've smoked it after a few days of sitting out before and it wasnt too bad.
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:46 PM
partylobster
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to partylobster

Yeah, stuff is going to rust. Also, I think using fresh water is better because it is more airated than stagnate water and can diffuse the smoke better. I understand how you don't want to always clean, but I would at least take off the bowl and vase and empty them. You can put the stem back on the vase, but just be sure to actually clean it later.
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM
cdplayersony
Hookah Nut

Well... doesn't it depend on what kind of hookah you have? Aren't there ones that don't rust, like ones that are all stainless steel? or I thought I heard that brass is good for that reason too.
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:09 PM
partylobster
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to partylobster

idk, but if it doesn't rust then it'll still get dirty and develop an unpleasant taste. Residue from the shisha will get everywhere and solidify making it harder to clean when you do eventually do it.
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:11 PM
kaz188
Hookah Nut

i was wondering the same exact thing! great question!

i live with my parents and they dont "appreciate" hookah like we do. so when i smoke its like a "covert" operation. lol i gotta like sneak round in cars or when they arnt home. so cleaning it isnt easy. i dont usualy leave water in it...have a few times and like threw it in the car but dont get to clean out the stem and stuff very often. mabe every 10 sessions (about a 2 week period.) the bowls usually get rinsed out w/in 24 hours but not a really good cleaning for a while.
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:12 PM
simmonsjeffreya
Hookah Newbie

I voted yes, but I should clear it up. I leave mine sitting with water in it after every use. I smoke it daily, but I clean it After each and every session, then refill the water for the next session with clean water. The reason I do this? I don't mind the room temp water, and I have a bad habit of forgetting to put water in if I don't. Hookah smoking isn't exactly pleasing when you forgot the water.
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Pixelz
Hookah Pro

Take it from a seasonal hookah smoker, please please PLEASE, clean your hookah, sure some hookahs don't "RUST" but they will develop nasty residue in the stem, hose ports, and purge valves, that make your session very unpleasant. Even Brass hookahs need to be scrubbed and rinsed. Stainless steel is the same way, and unless you want your sessions to taste like ass in a month, take a pipe cleaner of some type, and clean that sucker out, and the glass and acrylic bases, the longer you let that water sit mildew and other such badness WILL start to form a ring around the water line.

So it might not seem like a big deal to you now, but if you want your hookah to last you 2+ years, take care of it.

Smoking hookah is not supposed to be something you just let sit and rot, most hookahs are expensive pieces and are a pretty big investment when your first starting.

Respect your hookah, take care of it, or you'll be forking over more money in the long run.

Again.

Respect your hookah.
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
swaflyer1
Hookah Nut

i leave my hookah all set up and clean it before i smoke. no ill effects.
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:28 PM
HookahKev
Hookah Pro

i do tend to try to clean mine after every use, my ss arabic is nice to take apart rinse it out quick and then i just lay it out on a dish rag over night to dry. i also have a chiness rig and a KM which usually also get cleaned, just a simple hose down after the session. if its really late i will wait till morning, no big deal over night, IMO. but if you want your stuff to last take care of it the best you can.
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:38 PM
abzy786
Hookah Enthusiast

i clean my hookah after every session. that way it saves clening before the session.
Old April 20th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Dxter2917
Hookah Newbie

i jus clean before i smoke..ill let it sit over night and clean in the morning... my smoke sessions arent until night though gota wait until bed time good way to calm down after a long day
Old April 20th, 2010, 01:31 AM
malfean
Hookah Newbie

Generally, I change the water before every session, and give the hookah itself(stainless steel and glass) a thorough cleaning with lemon juice and baking soda once a week
Old April 20th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Francine
Hookah Nut

I don't see a problem with letting it sit overnight. I clean mine while my coals are heating up. I usually have plenty of time to clean the stem, bowl, vase and choose my tobacco. I swish lemon juice in the vase to get rid of any strong odor or flavor.
If it is only sitting out for a day or two, the rust shouldn't be much more than on the surface, if it rusts at all. A quick once over with your stem brush will take care of that. Corrosion actually acts as a short term protective surface on metals. As long as it remains undisturbed, it will prevent decay of steel for a short amount of time. The problem worsens when the rust is removed while still leaving pitting. This pitting will still have some of the corrosion trapped in it and it will attack the un-corroded metal. A few days will not result in pitting type corrosion, a few weeks could. So, as long as you're not leaving your hookah sit out for extended periods of time, you should be fine. And they told me being an aircraft structural maintenance craftsman would get me nowhere...
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:51 AM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

i pretty much have to clean mine after every session, mostly because we have hard water but also i'm a lil OCD...or...CDO (it's in alphabetical order like it's supposed to be) lol
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I clean my hookah every night after smoking ..

BUT! .. sometimes .. when I am smoking a favorite, like Nakhla Double Apple, I will leave it setup if I know I am going to smoke it again the next night with a fresh bowl of the same thing

Most of the time I clean it every night though .. after smoking.

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

I've let a vase of water run from one bowl to the next if I'm smoking within a short time of the initial bowl but overnight, hmmm, ya know, bacteria grows really, really fast in a warm, wet environment where adequate substenance is available to it. That available sustenance is generally some form of sugar. Most shishas have molasses, honey, or glycerin in them, all sugars, which run or leech into the water. Overnight I'd say you would have a veritable smorgasbord for bacteria to grow. As you draw smoke through the water, it can pick up bacteria, transferring it directly into your lungs, another warm, moist environment . . . pneumonia isn't a fun thing to go through and it would seem to me that you would be setting urself up for a ripe case of it, or some other type of pneumonal infection. I'd take the few mintues to, at least, rinse and dry the vase and components of my hookah for overnight storage. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:25 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapatio10floz View Post
I give it a deep clean and a scrub a dub dub the next day and I don't smoke every day maybe 1-2 times a week
I'm the same. I smoke about 2-3 times a week, and will usually smoke at night and the clean up the next day. Haven't had any issues so far (KM). I haven't even had to use lemon juice/baking soda, just nice hot water and it's shiny as could be.
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

i dont clean my hookah after use always, but i do dump the water.
Before i use it again however i at least wash the base and about once a week i give the hookah a detailing.
i have multiple bowls so that i dont have to clean those right away either, i will wind up cleaning 2 or 3 at a time.
the nammor hose gets washed everytime it ghosts, which varries
Share with your friends on facebook