Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Can you tell me what this is?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM
starbuzzin33
Hookah Newbie

Default Can you tell me what this is?

Hey I am wondering what brand of stem this is?
It says AGER on the hose inlet but I did a search and cannot find anything that looks like it.
Also how much do you think just this stem would be worth?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Photo on 2010-04-22 at 15.54.jpg  
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Default Re: Can you tell me what this is?

i would go with a syrian
but its a bad pic so im not sure
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Mackmaven
Hookah Aficionado

I'm goin with chinese

"From zero to hookah, in nothing flat."
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

Seeing as the down stem is detachable, probably Chinese.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

I'm thirding the chinese on this.

Reasons:
Detachable downstem
Purge valve
Hose port
Tray holder
Bowl connector.

All those parts look totally typical of a chinese rig.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:08 PM
ryon
Hookah Nut

Gotta be chinese
Coyotero named all the key thigs
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
starbuzzin33
Hookah Newbie

alright thanks guys!
yea the person who owns it now said that his dad brought it back from Saudi Arabia....
what do you think its worth?
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post

Reasons:
Detachable downstem
Purge valve
Hose port
Tray holder
Bowl connector.

I agree, its chinese.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
iMaD
Hookah Pro

Def Chinese but for God's sake next time pic a better spot for taking pics
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuzzin33 View Post
what do you think its worth?
Not much. Might be able to get $20 if it had all the fixin's and was in good shape.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:

Reasons:
Detachable downstem
Purge valve
Hose port
Tray holder
Bowl connector.

I disagree. Ager is not a Chinese brand and based on the chamber design I would think that they are made in Syria. Naturally they are machine and cast and not of the best quality but they are farily good and definately not Chinese. Also, many Syrian (and a few Lebanese and Egyptian ) rigs have detachable downstems and bowl connectors. The purge valve looks odd but Ager is not a brand follow (although I've owned a couple) so it may be typical.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

Yet again, Hajo shows up to school us all. Gotta love it.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
I disagree. Ager is not a Chinese brand and based on the chamber design I would think that they are made in Syria. Naturally they are machine and cast and not of the best quality but they are farily good and definately not Chinese. Also, many Syrian (and a few Lebanese and Egyptian ) rigs have detachable downstems and bowl connectors. The purge valve looks odd but Ager is not a brand follow (although I've owned a couple) so it may be typical.
Interesting thoughts as always Hajo, very informative.

However, looking over their site I've got to say that these look so totally typical of the chinese pipes we used to carry at the lounge I worked at.
http://www.agerinternational.com/products4.asp

Edit: No idea how reliable this information is, but according to Alibaba they're coming out of India: http://www.alibaba.com/product/il102...ER_HOOKAH.html

Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

looks kind of Syrian-esk but its a Chinese
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
HSK Locals
Hookah Pro

$20 if its still in good shape
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:57 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:

However, looking over their site I've got to say that these look so totally typical of the chinese pipes we used to carry at the lounge I worked at.

Edit: No idea how reliable this information is, but according to Alibaba they're coming out of India: http://www.alibaba.com/product/il102...ER_HOOKAH.html
What is worth keeping in mind is that Ager mearly distibutes stuff from other makers and they don't have in house design as far I know. The mainstem shown at the begining of thread certainly looks like typical, modern modern style, mass produced Syrian rigs which you can buy anywhere in Syria. I doubt they are imported to Syria since the country is very much oppossed to free trade and anything not made there is priced out of the market. As to the stuff on the site, well it looks junky and they could very well be Chinese. The Agers that I had a while ago bore a strong resemlence to the mainstem in the opening thread but they clearly said on the box product of Syria. The different purge valve gives some suspicions. Truthly I can't be sure of starbuzzin33's rig is from Syria but since it seems to have a closed common style smoke chamber and it looks like Ager branded Syrian products that would be my guess. I can't recall seeing a Chinese rig with a closed common chamber before so that effects my thinking.

On the other hand, my Agers dated from a few years prior to when company on the site said it was formed so perhaps it was a matter of the company changing hands or being reformed and, as a result, changing suppliers.

Lastly, as time goes on people find out designs and practices from other countries so a lot of foriegn ideas wind up drifting from country to country. As an example one will occasionally see multi-piece, cast mainsteams made in Iran or Egypt when until recently that was never the case. Like wise, the rounded outer shape of smoke chambers used to only be seen on Chinese rigs but in the last several years they have popped up everwhwere as a result as the trend towards single piece cast, rather then drawn, mainsteams. In Syria, Lebanon and Iran it's gotten to be common to see the use of Egyptian style bowls and floating trays so it's not as easy to tell what's what as it was 10 years ago.

So the bottom line is that i'd say it's mostly likely a mass produced Syrian product branded as an Ager but I could be wrong.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:34 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
What is worth keeping in mind is that Ager mearly distibutes stuff from other makers and they don't have in house design as far I know. The mainstem shown at the begining of thread certainly looks like typical, modern modern style, mass produced Syrian rigs which you can buy anywhere in Syria. I doubt they are imported to Syria since the country is very much oppossed to free trade and anything not made there is priced out of the market. As to the stuff on the site, well it looks junky and they could very well be Chinese. The Agers that I had a while ago bore a strong resemlence to the mainstem in the opening thread but they clearly said on the box product of Syria. The different purge valve gives some suspicions. Truthly I can't be sure of starbuzzin33's rig is from Syria but since it seems to have a closed common style smoke chamber and it looks like Ager branded Syrian products that would be my guess. I can't recall seeing a Chinese rig with a closed common chamber before so that effects my thinking.

On the other hand, my Agers dated from a few years prior to when company on the site said it was formed so perhaps it was a matter of the company changing hands or being reformed and, as a result, changing suppliers.

Lastly, as time goes on people find out designs and practices from other countries so a lot of foriegn ideas wind up drifting from country to country. As an example one will occasionally see multi-piece, cast mainsteams made in Iran or Egypt when until recently that was never the case. Like wise, the rounded outer shape of smoke chambers used to only be seen on Chinese rigs but in the last several years they have popped up everwhwere as a result as the trend towards single piece cast, rather then drawn, mainsteams. In Syria, Lebanon and Iran it's gotten to be common to see the use of Egyptian style bowls and floating trays so it's not as easy to tell what's what as it was 10 years ago.

So the bottom line is that i'd say it's mostly likely a mass produced Syrian product branded as an Ager but I could be wrong.
Sir, you are a fountain of knowledge.

What ultimately matters is how it smokes. If it smokes well, smoke it!

Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:07 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

AGER: http://www.agerinternational.com/products4.asp
MYA SARAY: http://www.myasaray.com/home.asp

Don't those...well...look a little similar??
I'm just saying.

And Hajo is right, my cousins do create crappy chinese looking products sometimes.....sniffle.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:30 AM
Hookah-burdar
Hookah Nut

Quote:

Indeed, as far as I know the brand AGER is partly owned by the NAKHLA Group, partly by Indian enterprises. The Hookahs they sell under that brand "AGER" are either ordinary Egyptians (similar to the ALADIN, which are common in Spain and Germany, and distributed by the same people who distributes NAKHLA molasses) or chinese made, of an average quality (I own one) roughly equivalent to MITSUBA, but which does'nt seem to come from the same factory as MITSUBA's. These chinese made AGER (usually small to medium) hookahs are of better quality than the lowest price chinese, having no plastic parts, as do the cheapests. But not as good as the MYA. Decent for a Chinese, but I would'nt pay too much for such a rig... I prefer stems with a single main tube made of copper...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook