Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

tangiers tobacco

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Maxwell314
Hookah Newbie

Default tangiers tobacco

So this is my 2nd time trying tangiers (non light) as I speak.. the first time was incredibly harsh, but this time I am cutting back heat. I got it to where it is bearable but the exhale is still almost painful. I am using coconara (half pieces) MYA mini acrylic (the base of my KM 32" broke this weekend), tangiers phunnel bowl, nammor hose, hebadiffuser, and plenty of ice. Any tips or am I just that much of a lightweight? I don't get to smoke too often because mechanical engineering classes take all my time.

I would have searched,but doing so on my Droid would be a bit of a PITA.. Thanks
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Default Re: tangiers tobacco

Here we go again.

I would tell you not to bother, Tangiers is a pain in the ass and not worth the trouble, but then the Tangiers fanboys'll get their panties in a bunch.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:02 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell314 View Post
So this is my 2nd time trying tangiers (non light) as I speak.. the first time was incredibly harsh, but this time I am cutting back heat. I got it to where it is bearable but the exhale is still almost painful. I am using coconara (half pieces) MYA mini acrylic (the base of my KM 32" broke this weekend), tangiers phunnel bowl, nammor hose, hebadiffuser, and plenty of ice. Any tips or am I just that much of a lightweight? I don't get to smoke too often because mechanical engineering classes take all my time.

I would have searched,but doing so on my Droid would be a bit of a PITA.. Thanks
So i can assume you are smoking the Noir line of tangiers and not lucid, that makes a difference. Also we need to know what size phunnel bowl and how many pieces (or half pieces) of coconaras your using. Also what does your hole pattern look like. How is it painful exhaling, is there a tickle in your throat or is the smoke harsh.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:03 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
Here we go again.

I would tell you not to bother, Tangiers is a pain in the ass and not worth the trouble, but then the Tangiers fanboys'll get their panties in a bunch.
Hell yeah we do Coyotero, lol. Are you filling in for CaptHowdy cause he is on vacation, lol.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Maxwell314
Hookah Newbie

Ha. Well I'm getting tired of starbuzz's lack of buzz. Trying some new brands. It definitely messes you up well. I wouldn't put it out for friends though.. I've developed a technique to make it not so bad. I would call it hard not harsh right now.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:09 PM
Maxwell314
Hookah Newbie

Using 2 dwindled half cocanara pieces for a large phunnel bowl. Hole pattern is radial leaving the center hole covered. There is no tickle on inhale. Its not like other brands when it has too much heat I can tell you that.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:11 PM
Maxwell314
Hookah Newbie

I guess what I mean is it is producing amazing smoke. Just can't exhale it quickly without it feeling weird in the back of my throat. I can pull as hard as I want.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Quote:
I guess what I mean is it is producing amazing smoke. Just can't exhale it quickly without it feeling weird in the back of my throat. I can pull as hard as I want.
That sounds pretty normal for tangiers. Does the smoke have flavor or just large clouds.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Have you recently been sick or anything? I know that when I'm sick, or my throat is all slimy or something it feels weird to exhale sometimes.

I haven't tried Tangiers yet, but the only thing I could possibly think of is that either the flavor is too strong and it bothers your throat (I've had that happen before) or that it's going up your nose and everything which is probably quite uncomfortable with a high nicotine tobacco. Are you closing the back of your throat, the part that leads up to your nose, when exhaling?
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
Maxwell314
Hookah Newbie

Had pneumonia in December but other than that, no

There is tons of flavor and thick smoke.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Had pneumonia in December but other than that, no

There is tons of flavor and thick smoke.
Then you are smoking tangiers correctly. I don't want to seem like a dick but if you are used to smoking SB SS HH or other light tobacco you might not be ready for tangiers. Maybe that is why its messing with you.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
Maxwell314
Hookah Newbie

Figured that by now. I've gotten used to it by now. Never smoked cigarettes or so that likely also makes me a light smoker. I can enjoy it but I just can't do FU clouds like other brands. Fusion does great smoke and buzz for me but flavors are usually lacking. Guess I'll keep looking lol

Last edited by KoRnKitten; April 22nd, 2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Maxwell314
Hookah Newbie

Its at least much better than last time. Last time did 2full coals and a wind cover.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
jvminner
Hookah Nut

I have about 200gr of Lucid Horchata I wont smoke for that reason. Smoked it out of egyptian, funnel, and vortex and it just screams suck. Love the flavour and clouds but hate the wierd feeling in the back of my throat.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:59 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

I'd assume if you are getting good flavor that you did acclimate it. Noir is really a serious tobacco.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:16 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

I won't say it's unheard of but I can say that the throat tickle should not be present. There are some flavors that it's sadly almost always there. Maraschino cherry is usually on the harsh side for about 10 minutes. I smoke Tangiers quite a bit and as long as it's acclimated properly (a pain to do in my state) and I pack it properly it smokes beautifully for me. If you think it may help out check out my video to show how I pack tangiers. I took influence from western pipe smoking and it worked out beautifully for me. It's an odd tobacco to say the least.

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/video...s&videoid=1924

Last edited by kalutika; April 22nd, 2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:26 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Oh ya. Bear in mind that I use heavy duty foil now. It produces about the same results.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:32 PM
poyoloco
Hookah Newbie

Tangiers for me tends to be harsh for the first 10mins. Throat tickle and what not. So I usually just let it heat up for 10mins while moving the coals every 5. Then I purge it and its good to go. This was done with orange soda though, not sure about the other flavors.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:39 PM
Special K
Hookah Nut

Tangiers is also low heat tobacco. You don't need 3 coals. Coco Naras normally give too much heat IMO, though I've been told the new cubes are better for tangiers.

2 cocos is more than enough for a small bowl. windcover is straight overkill. I'd attribute the throat tickle to too much heat.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:49 PM
RaceMyGhost
Hookah Pro

Eric (creator of tangiers) recommends no ice in the vase... just saying.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Maxwell314
Hookah Newbie

I live in orange county so acclimating shouldn't be an issue since I am assuming that tangiers is produced in SD. I have some nice lemon coals sitting around that I can use. I will so try not putting ice in the bowl next time as well. The flavor is Watermelon just in case anyone has experience with it. I use freezer bags in tins. Is that enough for storing it?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook