Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Copper or aluminium hookah ?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM
wesche
Hookah Newbie

Default Copper or aluminium hookah ?

What would be better and why ?
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:36 AM
oSPANNERo
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Copper or aluminium hookah ?

Wait... wha? So are you looking to build one all DIY or are you looking at specific models? I don't think I have seen very many copper ones out there. They tend to be brass and/or stainless. As for aluminum... they tend to be a bit more "Modern" than what is favored here and are generally made in china with not the most TLC.

But this is IMHO... YMMV
36" Solid Al Fakher, Blue Razan
29" KM Trimetal, KM "Red Lion" Gilded Base, Crown Jewel Bowl, Red v3 Narbish, CH "Solar Flare" Tip
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:44 AM
wesche
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oSPANNERo View Post
Wait... wha? So are you looking to build one all DIY or are you looking at specific models? I don't think I have seen very many copper ones out there. They tend to be brass and/or stainless. As for aluminum... they tend to be a bit more "Modern" than what is favored here and are generally made in china with not the most TLC.

But this is IMHO... YMMV
I do belive its copper, it might be brass, the thing is i had an aluminium one but the glass broke, so i bought a new hookah, and its so diferent, just asking what would be better
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:50 AM
dreadscought
Hookah Nut

Most hookahs are stainless steel or brass.
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM
cdplayersony
Hookah Nut

Location: Evanston, IL during the school year. Pullman, WA during not during the school year.

copper bowls are the shiiiit. make my flavor super intense and supppper chilllled out.
Old April 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Copper makes a fantastic stem. It diffuses heat very well which helps cool the smoke.

Copper bowl sounds like a stupid idea. Copper can become toxic if it gets too hot.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:07 PM
cdplayersony
Hookah Nut

Location: Evanston, IL during the school year. Pullman, WA during not during the school year.

yeah I was just kidding.... if you smoke copper rust its poisonous and can fuckkkk you uppp
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:46 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
Copper makes a fantastic stem. It diffuses heat very well which helps cool the smoke.

Copper bowl sounds like a stupid idea. Copper can become toxic if it gets too hot.
copper is poisonous if its too hot? this is news to me and ive been working with copper for a solid 2 years in school and worked with it before school and never gotten one warning about over heating copper, now zinc and lead ya but i dont see how copper could be bad unless you get it to boil off which is very very hot.

as to copper vs AL. copper patinas over time and is naturally anti bacterial AL gains a layer of al oxide and stops corroding pretty fast but the layer comes off very easily usually (at least on some of the simple alloys) if the al is anodized then it is sealed and is much more durable... however heating AL can really mess with the temper

realistically, there probably is very little difference in functionality for a hookah, the AL's temper is more temperamental (no pun intended) but the copper might be softer, for hookah use its not really an issue

-matt
Old April 25th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
copper is poisonous if its too hot? this is news to me and ive been working with copper for a solid 2 years in school and worked with it before school and never gotten one warning about over heating copper, now zinc and lead ya but i dont see how copper could be bad unless you get it to boil off which is very very hot.

as to copper vs AL. copper patinas over time and is naturally anti bacterial AL gains a layer of al oxide and stops corroding pretty fast but the layer comes off very easily usually (at least on some of the simple alloys) if the al is anodized then it is sealed and is much more durable... however heating AL can really mess with the temper

realistically, there probably is very little difference in functionality for a hookah, the AL's temper is more temperamental (no pun intended) but the copper might be softer, for hookah use its not really an issue

-matt
Matt,

I've not worked personally with copper to any extent, but I've been led to understand that at high temperatures (Really higher than the hookah should get) toxins (Zinc maybe?) can be released in gaseous form.

However, I am no expert in the matter.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:21 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

I've heard the copper thing as well, but honestly, don't you have at least one copper water pipe in your house? (not for smoking, i mean plumbing here)

As for the heat, i doubt anyone would use it as a bowl, so I wouldn't worry.

And, brass looks sexier, so I'll vote for that.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:21 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

I've heard the copper thing as well, but honestly, don't you have at least one copper water pipe in your house? (not for smoking, i mean plumbing here)

As for the heat, i doubt anyone would use it as a bowl, so I wouldn't worry.

And, brass looks sexier, so I'll vote for that.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:49 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
Matt,

I've not worked personally with copper to any extent, but I've been led to understand that at high temperatures (Really higher than the hookah should get) toxins (Zinc maybe?) can be released in gaseous form.

However, I am no expert in the matter.
if the copper was an alloy and not pure copper then that would be possible but AFAIK only special industrial applications use alloys of copper that do not fall into brass or bronze. the zinc in brass can fume off (and when you silver solder/braze it you get copper "plating" which is more so the zinc vaporizing off leaving the copper on the surface). for the most part though to the best of my knowledge in industry "copper" is pretty much always 99.9% pure

-matt
Old April 26th, 2010, 09:16 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

The one company I do IT support for does wire drawing with copper rods to make copper Cables in the drawing process copper dust is released this is toxic if inhaled in large quantities signs of copper poisoning is your hair and nails turn green and normaly they prescribe milk to help leech the toxin from your system. Copper has been used in Cooking for ages and no human has contracted copper poisoning from using copper pots and pans (heat is more intense that in a Hookah bowl)
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:21 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by glostersa View Post
The one company I do IT support for does wire drawing with copper rods to make copper Cables in the drawing process copper dust is released this is toxic if inhaled in large quantities signs of copper poisoning is your hair and nails turn green and normaly they prescribe milk to help leech the toxin from your system. Copper has been used in Cooking for ages and no human has contracted copper poisoning from using copper pots and pans (heat is more intense that in a Hookah bowl)
heating copper to the temps that would be in a hookah bowl dont break it down though like running it through drawing dies, the process of drawing down the copper abrades it and caused the dust. pretty much anything is bad if you consume to much of it but a lot of metals are needed to function (iirc the average adult male has enough iron in their body to make a nail).

unless the bowl or hookah starts getting large amounts of the metal disappearing you probably will not have an isse
-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook