Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Recent Purchases

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 25th, 2010, 06:31 PM
brybry642
Hookah Nut

Default Recent Purchases

Hey guys,

Brand new member here. So I just bought a relatively cheap 18" hookah on Ebay ($30), just to get the hobby started. After reading through reviews and watching some of SamB's youtube videos I've bought some AF and Starbuzz flavors to try (SB Blue Mist, AF caffe lattes, grape w/ mint, pineapple).

I started with 3Kings coals, but I couldn't help but get that chemical/charcoal taste from them. So, after reading your reviews about CH and Coconara coals, I decided to buy a 1 KG CH box and am awaiting their arrival in the mail along with my new Nammor hose.

My next upgrade I think will be a bowl (phunnel or vortex)? How important is a new bowl for my setup?...I feel like I'm off to a decent start, let me know what you guys think!!

Thanks and glad to be aboard.

P.S. Should the Nammor hose fit ok with my hookah? Anything to be concerned about?
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:39 PM
brybry642
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Recent Purchases

Anything?
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Welcome to Hookah Pro! Your nammor should fit fine in your hookah. A vortex or funnel bowl are a great addition to your hookah. Many people will tell you vortex over funnel or vice versa. Both are excellent bowls and I recommend them to you. Egyptian bowls are a standard bowl with most hookahs and are great also. Wetter tobaccos work best with the vortex or funnel that way the juice doesnt go down your stem.
You may be getting a chemical/coal taste from your coals because they might not be fully ashed over before you place them on your bowl. Be sure that they are completely white with NO black to them at all before using them. See if that makes a difference till your new coals arrive. Same tip will apply to your new coals to btw.
Hope you enjoy your stay here and be sure to read our rules.
cheers!
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Boggler0
Hookah Newbie

Seems like you took startup a step further than I.
Starbuzz is super popular, great clouds, great flavors.
3K is my coal of choice, but you have to wait until it's fully lit until you start using it. I wont even let it touch my foil unless it's done sparking.

And a new bowl is a good step to take. Im guessing you got a standard egyptian bowl of sorts when you got your hookah. It is fine for general use, but I'd recommend getting a vortex. Funnel bowls are good, but from what i've read/experienced, vortex bowls are slightly better because you really need a lot of tobacco to have a funnel work as well as it should. Also, issues with the foil pulling down into the center hole are nonexistent with vortex.

My vortex bowl made my sessions much MUCH better. Habits i picked up within the past few months are using two coals at one time, opposite sides of the bowl, and doubling my foil. Seems to burn the tobacco MUCH smoother.
These bowls are meant for wetter tobaccos such as the starbuzz, to keep the wetness from entering the stem itself. Gross.

also, remember to clean the hell out of that guy! i've noticed that smaller hookahs pick up a bit more buildup than bigger ones.
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:26 PM
brybry642
Hookah Nut

Ya, I think I'm gonna go with the Vortex. I've read nothing but good reviews about it. What is the advantage of 3K coals as compared to organic coconut coals (besides them being quick lights)?
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:29 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brybry642 View Post
Ya, I think I'm gonna go with the Vortex. I've read nothing but good reviews about it. What is the advantage of 3K coals as compared to organic coconut coals (besides them being quick lights)?
The convenience of being quicklights is about the only thing. Nothing compares to Natural coals like Coconara or Exoticas though.
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:35 PM
andrewnnix
Hookah Pro

i think the quick light advantage is simply that. it lights quick. i dont like them at all. if i dont have to use them i dont. you can buy a good torch lighter that is intended for cigars that works wonders on nat coals. nat coals dont really take that much longer to light if you use the stove. just put the coals on before you pack and set up your bowl and they should be ready when your done packing your bowl. as far as the funnel bowl goes if you get a small tangiers funnel you dont need much more that a standard bowl to get it going. you do have to find a way to modify so the foil does not plug you hole though. i love my funnel bowl. just find what works for you. good luck.
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

Welcome brybry. Hope you enjoy it here. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Francine
Hookah Nut

Welcome to Hookah Pro. Either bowl is a good choice. If you do go with a Phunnel, use heavy duty foil and make sure to pull it tight. I have had no problems with the foil sucking down since I switched from regular foil. I am also a big fan of Coco Nara coals, though CH are pretty good too. I wouldn't mess around with a torch lighter. Stove is so much easier. Make sure to flip them and, as said above, don't use any coals until they are completely ashed over. Be sure to check out the review section, you will find virtually everything you need to know about anything Hookah. (Damn, did i just plagiarize Sambooka?) Welcome and Cheers! (Damn, did it again...)
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:47 PM
nick3o4
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to nick3o4 Send a message via Skype™ to nick3o4

Careful on the AF Grape+Mint. Had a bowl of that and only 1 of the 10 people I was smoking with liked it. Yuk yuk yuk.
Old April 26th, 2010, 02:30 PM
texashookah91
Hookah Nut

alien phunnel bowl ftw
Old April 26th, 2010, 02:34 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

My favorite ad ons:
coco-nara coals
nammor hose (washable and durable)
a variety of sized phunnel bowls, mini, small and medium(medium lasts more hours than i can keep track of, this is a "party" bowl)
and an egyptian mod bowl (when not using wet tobacco, i prefer this bowl)
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:23 PM
brybry642
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3o4 View Post
Careful on the AF Grape+Mint. Had a bowl of that and only 1 of the 10 people I was smoking with liked it. Yuk yuk yuk.

Ya, this flavor is disgusting. I got it as a vendor mistake, wanted normal grape, got it with mint instead. For anyone looking for AF shisha flavors, this is a no-no.
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:30 PM
kevz
Banned

Get yourself a vortex bowl off eBay and some juicy flavour al fakher or starbuzz then enjoy I also brought a phunnel bowl which was large it takes too much flavour but you can read up on what bowl suits you
Old April 29th, 2010, 02:04 PM
A_Teator1
Hookah Pro

IMO nats are the way to go. I have used exoticas for a while but just bought an 84pc box of cocs from a local shop and once i took some hp advice on lighting them I am very impressed. Either way nats last wayyy longer than QLs. Also, my vortex bowl is my go to bowl. The juices dont go down the stem which means my diffuser wont get stained or ghosted too much. Happy smoking!
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...vortex+phunnel Here is all of the information you will need on either the vortex or phunnel. Don't bother trying to figure out which one is the superior bowl because they both have their own individual benefits and shortcomings. You will have to read what we have said and decide which one is right for you based on what your smoking, who you smoke with (if anybody) and how long you like your sessions to be.
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:58 PM
thomas_j_smith
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to thomas_j_smith Send a message via Yahoo to thomas_j_smith

Take your time and review all the how to videos on HP. They are a tremendous help. As far as bowls go, do the same. In time, try them all and see what works best for you, along with the how to videos on where to put coals and holes in the HD foil. In time, along with the great info on HP, you will learn to enjoy the hookah. Welcome, and good luck!
Old April 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
brybry642
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_j_smith View Post
Take your time and review all the how to videos on HP. They are a tremendous help. As far as bowls go, do the same. In time, try them all and see what works best for you, along with the how to videos on where to put coals and holes in the HD foil. In time, along with the great info on HP, you will learn to enjoy the hookah. Welcome, and good luck!

Where can I find all of the "how to..." videos?
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook