Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Newbie Doubts

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 29th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Dusky69
Hookah Newbie

Unhappy Newbie Doubts

Hey, ive recently came back from Tunisia, and i've enjoyed the hookahs over there.

well i've already had a hookah at home that was brought back from tunisia has well has a gift, its about medium sized.

Anyway i started reading around trying to get it to work properly, i had to find a bearing for the valve since it was missing and i've ordered a syrian hose for it has well has a coal cover.

i've tried lighting it a couple of times but the results are a bit meh..

this time i tried using Nakhla cherry , i cooled the bowl for a while in the fridge since i didnt have any ice handy and i used a Lyalina Charcoal - Natural Charcoal that i broke off into 3 smaller pieces to place over the cover in a triangular pattern.

i lighted the charcoal on the stove until it was ashed all over.

after checking that everything was ok and well setup i filled the shisha up to the rim of a normal ceramic bowl with the coal cover on it i placed the coals and waited about 2 - 3 minutes before pulling, but i got almost no smoke and it was very harsh.

Regarding the shisa i used, it was bought in tunisia in one of the medinas, the package looks kinda old so i thought maybe the tobacco was the problem since all ive tried smoking so far are naklhas bought in my trip.

the shisha seemed a bit dry and i get the idea from reading around that it should be wetter ? is this my problem, the quality of the shisha im using ?

thank you for your attention and has long has im asking whats everyone's opinion on cover vs foil and phunnel vs traditional bowls ?

also is there any way to guarantee youll get more flavour out of your tobacco ?

i live in portugal and shisha culture is still pretty niched around here so quality stuff is hard to find..

thank you !
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:34 PM
paulbrichter
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Newbie Doubts

Eu sou portugues tamben. Where are you in Portugal? I just planned my trip for this summer too!

As far as your problem goes, your tobacco sounds like the issue- you said the packaging looks old and therefore, the tobacco could be as well. When you say coal cover, do you mean windscreen? I would definitely get some wetter tobacco but im not sure how easy that would be considering youre overseas.
How small of a piece was your charcoal, because they may be too small also.
3 charcoals and a windscreen should be sufficient in getting some good pulls- maybe even too much! Id suggest the larger pieces of charcoal and no windscreen if youre indoors. I dont use the aluminum plate for my charcoal- the norm pretty much is using tin foil also.

Theres a great hookah bar in Aveiro right in the center of the town on the river- if youre close to Aveiro that is.
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:35 PM
paulbrichter
Hookah Newbie

wow i said also alot. boo
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Dusky69
Hookah Newbie

Boas !

Nah , im near Lisbon, so aveiro is a bit off, i actually broke off a piece of coal in 3, so maybe that was one of the mistakes.

has for the coal cover i meant the aluminium plate that goes in place of the foil not the windscreen, since i was indoors i didnt think it would be necessary.

has for buying shisha i do know of a couple of places that sell nakhla the rule in portugal seems to be that hookah stuff and shisha are usually sold in small travelling stands in the malls and mostly ive seen the small pumpkin models but i dont have enough hookah knowledge to attest to quality.

i guess ill keep trying until i get it right
Old April 29th, 2010, 02:00 PM
A_Teator1
Hookah Pro

I wouldn't think that the coal size should matter unless they were really small. I'd have to suggest trying to find an online vendor to get some quality shisha if its hard to find in portugal. Hopefully shipping wont be crazy high
Old April 29th, 2010, 02:20 PM
03rivers
Hookah Nut

Personally I use foil with small holes poked in it. The metal screens usually have holes which are too large and allow ash and sometimes even small pieces of coal into the shisha which burns it possibly causing the harshness
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Assuming the water level is right and you got a ball valve that fits the major issues you are having is most likely related to heat management and set up. I sugest you check out Sambkooka's excellent into vids and get back to us. I also strongly remend that you only use high quality natural coals rather then QLs.

As to the tobacco, well that is complicated in that how wet it's supposed to be is really a matter of what the tobacco is exactly so we need more info. Personally I doubt that the problem is ever with the tobacco for the simple reason that packing a bowl and heat management is something that takes a bit of practice.

Oh, give up on screens! I know that the brass ones that a lot of Arabs/Turks/Iranians like work great for them but i've never gotten the knack of how to use them. I say go with aluminium foil. The patterns very a bit depending on what you smoke but once again check out the inro vids by Samb.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook