Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Struggling with coconara's

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 30th, 2010, 05:04 PM
sid23456
Hookah Newbie

Default Struggling with coconara's

Hey guys,

I'm in the UK and just started getting into shisha. Recently bought a KM 28" Cafe hookah and picked up some coconara's from here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I'm using a large shallow egytian bowl, 3 cocos and Al Fakher tobaccos but I'm getting very weak smoke and not much flavour.

I have to use a gas stove to light the coconaras, which get fully ashed/red in about 10-15mins.

After about 5 minutes I have to turn the coals over as they go black (the side touching the foil).

Do I need to just be keeping the coals heated for longer or is there something else wrong? I have used swift lite quick lights which gives nice clouds but taste rank!

Thanks
Old April 30th, 2010, 05:17 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Default Re: Struggling with coconara's

First, make sure the coals are the problem. Make sure all your seals are tight and that your purge valve is not stuck.
Cocos have to be rotated periodically. I'd also suggest a windcover to keep the heat in.

Old April 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Not to overstep what Biker said. But I've never had a problem lighting 3 coco naras in less than 5 minutes on a conventional stove top. But as far as I know, They can be used half way, thrown in a bucket of water, dried and used again. So I would hesitate to say its the coals... I don't know, that seems really odd. Best of luck!
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

As biker said, coco's do need to be rotated (turned) fairly often. I usually turn mine every 4 or 5 minutes, though I may overdo it. It works for me. Just from sitting against the cooler foil or screen they will darken on the bottom as heat is leached from them, so rotating them sets one of the hotter sides against the foil and allows them to burn more evenly as well as keeping the heat up. I like to use my windscreen initially to get the bowl warmed up but once that is accomplished I take it off and really haven't had any problems with them loosing heat. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:30 PM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

4-5 minutes! i rotate maybe every 15 minutes and flip them
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:50 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

I've never experienced coconaras "dying out" from not being turned, in fact I can probably go a full (hour +) session without turning or rotating them once, though I usually rotate and ash them at least once.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:01 PM
jvminner
Hookah Nut

I can go for a whole bowl without touching the coals. I use 2 cocos and a wind cover. You just have to play with how you set up and heat the coals. I've left a hookah for about 45 minutes before, took a hit afterwards and was still getting smoke.

My main advice is to make sure the entire coal is red before putting it on the bowl
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:16 PM
RuFFandWanduh
Hookah Nut

Like biker said make sure you dont have any leaks around the hose connections, base grommet, or bowl grommet, if you are using a regular bowl then I would lightly sprinkle in your tobbaco all the way to the top maybe 1 or 2 mm under the rim make holes kinda like a shower head and place you coals on the edge it does take coco's a while the light fully but never any longer then 10-15, after they are red on the corners all the way up top i flip them and in about 5 mins of them lighting i take them off and let them sit on the edge for 3 mins or so to start baking the shisha, if it taste harsh or burns your throat then either take one off and rotate the others, i think you might be packing your bowl to densely.

hope this helps!
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:23 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

The more you play with coco's the worse off you are...A whole session you should touch your coals maybee 3 times
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
sid23456
Hookah Newbie

I'll have another smoke tommorow. Haven't checked for leaks yet, but quicklites seemed to be working fine.

I've been sprinkling in the tobacco, just below the rim, which has worked for me so far. Oh well, I'll see how it goes tommorow.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:29 PM
dynamicteg
Hookah Newbie

i had a heating problem yesterday, 2 coconaras on my vortex and it wasn't producing anything, first time by the way using both vortex and coco's, slapped 3 of those bad boys on today and it smoked like a dream! i never flipped them only moved them back to the rim as they slid every now and then and it lasted bout 1.5hr indoors and everything got baked nothing burned, it was awesome oh yeah also changed my gromment on the bowl had a way tighter fit. so yeah, check for leeks and watch your hole punching too, those coco's pack some heat! good luck!
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:36 PM
anis14
Hookah Guru

Definitely check the rest of your setup to confirm that it is the coals causing the problem. Coco's sometimes turn black but not to the point that they go out, at least thats my experience with them. Try rotating and flipping the coals more and use a windcover to increase the heat.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGram View Post
I've never experienced coconaras "dying out" from not being turned, in fact I can probably go a full (hour +) session without turning or rotating them once, though I usually rotate and ash them at least once.
Same for me, I Rarely touch my cocos.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Francine
Hookah Nut

I never have to mess with my coco's. Do you have enough holes in the foil? If you don't have enought air flow, that could be the casue of them dying out.
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:03 PM
A_Teator1
Hookah Pro

I had trouble with this too. Sambooka suggested I use my windcover while lighting the coals and that did the trick. I just put my windcover right on the burner (its a crappy windcover haha) and the coals stay lit much longer. If you suspect theyre going out you can always blow on them without even moving them to keep them red hot. i also suspect you can make your own "windcover" with some foil to put over your burner. Just make sure to leave a hole at the top to let gas escape
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:13 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Once again physics is our friend.
Of course they go black on the side facing down.
This is because the side facing down is recieving less oxygen.
If you flip it, it will turn red again.
If you rotate your coals properly they will not turn black.

I know I light my coconaras properly, and if I leave them in one spot for too long the side facing down will turn black, as soon as i turn it though, it lights right back up
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:29 PM
britjh22
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid23456 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm in the UK and just started getting into shisha. Recently bought a KM 28" Cafe hookah and picked up some coconara's from here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I'm using a large shallow egytian bowl, 3 cocos and Al Fakher tobaccos but I'm getting very weak smoke and not much flavour.

I have to use a gas stove to light the coconaras, which get fully ashed/red in about 10-15mins.

After about 5 minutes I have to turn the coals over as they go black (the side touching the foil).

Do I need to just be keeping the coals heated for longer or is there something else wrong? I have used swift lite quick lights which gives nice clouds but taste rank!

As far as moving them, I usually move them once or twice throughout a smoke session.

Thanks
Never lit cocos on a gas stove, I would look into getting a single coil electric burner. In the states they are fairly easy to get, not sure about the UK.

Last edited by britjh22; April 30th, 2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:33 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by britjh22 View Post
Never lit cocos on a gas stove, I would look into getting a single coil electric burner. In the states they are fairly easy to get, not sure about the UK.
Why? That's all I use.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:34 AM
Francine
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by britjh22 View Post
I used a gas stove in Japan, I had no problems with the coals going out.
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:23 PM
ream
Hookah Nut

i light mine on a gas stove aswell, and im from the uk too. I would advise using cocobrincos though. They are very cheap here, and last near enough 2 hours without a wind cover! Those or some ch coals. But i have never had a problem wth my cocnaras that i have lit with a stove. Id say sample the other 2 and see which out of the 3 you prefer
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

Guess I'm ADD and OCD. LOL Yep, 4-5 minutes on average. Just my style. LOL Smoke happy.

dus'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpam View Post
4-5 minutes! i rotate maybe every 15 minutes and flip them
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:38 PM
sid23456
Hookah Newbie

tried again today and it seemed better. Used 4 coals and a wind cover, got quite thick smoke but not much quantity. Seemed to be better using my cheap hose rather than the KM hose I got with the hookah, so probably not sealing properly there
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:23 PM
div007
Hookah Nut

i got the 108 box from them and its fine.

i did have a issue with their older batch though which had the same problem of dying out.

the new batch cocs are great. their the cube shaped ones.
the old ones are more rectangular
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
-jordan-

I've gotten bad batches before that don't stay lit. They'd just suffocate themselves, with or without a windcover. Just keep troubleshooting them.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook