Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah Stigma

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 1st, 2010, 02:22 AM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Default Hookah Stigma

It seems like everyone I know that knows nothing about hookah, automatically assumes that my pipe is being used for everything but smoking shisha...

My question to you is, Do you normally face this kind of stigma towards your hookah from outsiders, are they generally willing to try it and learn more about it, or do they just assume that they know what they know and not let you clear the air?
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:29 AM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Hookah Stigma

Most people i've encountered know what it is and what its for. However there is always somebody who refers to it as a "water pipe" then i educate them about how its used and why its enjoyable.

Last edited by KoRnKitten; May 1st, 2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:33 AM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

I think as I've upgraded mine people take it more seriously. But getting past the illegal stigma, people come at me with the 'its worse than cigarettes' banter. They will smoke cigs but not hookah -__-
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:25 AM
ViPa
Hookah Newbie

all of my friends love hookah..dont have to explain anything to anyone
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:41 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

The 'illegal' stigma you can than 1960's hippie culture. The 'worse than cigarettes' bit comes from the nanny-state crowd who've taken a page from Vladimir Lenin: "A lie told often enough becomes the truth".
These are people who claim they only want to 'help you' when in fact all they want is control.

Old May 1st, 2010, 03:57 AM
smokey void
Hookah Pro

yeah some of my friends that are "uneducated" to put it nicely, frequently ask me why i dont use my hookahs illegally, then i have to slap the stupid off of them and try to explain to them like a lil kid how much of an idiot they are for even thinking about asking my something like that, but my intelligent friends take quite a likeing to hookah, in fact i've gotten a number of them hooked and trying to get them on the forums here, my friend matchbox is one such friend
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:17 AM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

Yeah, up here where I live anytime I mention my hookah I have to do the obligatory explanations. But, after that I usually just get a condescending smile and shake of the head. Not to worry, though. That whole "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink," thing applies here. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:36 AM
tmv8888
Hookah Pro

My dad and girlfriend are both the "i know more about hookah than you do even though I've never done a single ounce of research" type people... Its really immature honestly.
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM
forecastle
Hookah Pro

It seems to be part of our uneducated present that anything out of the ordinary mist be used for something illegal. I run into this every once in awhile, and if it happens I explain with a curtious attitude. People will always believe what they want unfortunatly, but most walk away with an education
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:13 AM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

right after i first started smoking, something like 6 years ago i guess, i brought my hookah with me on a visit to my parent's house. i didn't think my mom would care for it, but i've seen my dad smoke a cigar on a few occasions, so i thought he might be interested. my dad just asked if it was all legal and then laughed at the idea. my mom broke down in tears and went on for close to an hour about how i was going to die instantly from smoking, never letting me explain how different it is from cigs. we've never spoken about it again, my brother and i go to a lounge or smoke at his place when i visit the area, and i put the hookah and all my coals and tobacco in a box in the closet if they come to visit me. i don't really care when strangers have unreasonable conjectures about me, but when you're unable to educate a close family member (even just enough that you don't have to hide one of your favorite hobbies completely), it sux.
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:58 AM
Devsterman
Hookah Nut

When I first got my hookah, my mom was quite upset. She thought that it was equivalent to cigarettes. Even to this day, she still calls it a waterpipe (I don't know if the other term can be used on the forums, but thats what she calls it), and my dad asked me if it was anything I could get caught with (my cousin was caught with paraphenilia). Soon, my mom told my grandma *facepalm*, and I had to explain it to her. It is tough.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:09 AM
ryon
Hookah Nut

My dad luckily understands and my mom laughs at it bc she thinks it's silly, but as long as she doesn't think it's illegal Im bueno
The stigma comes from the idiots that do use it for illegal activites and the other name "water pipe" isn't too welcoming as well
It sucks having to explain to people about it, but most of my friends loge the idea of it and sit down for sessions with me all the time
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:25 AM
manjaco
Hookah Aficionado

Funny enough everyone at college knows what it is except for the adults. I haven't met a student yet that didn't know what it was. Even our security knows what it's for but random other adults either stare like we have three heads or come up and start asking questions. It gets rather annoying.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:43 AM
nerfherder
Hookah Newbie

This happens to me all the time. When I tell them I smoke a hookah the first thing they ask is what do I smoke in it? It is very frustrating and I have to explain about what shisha is and what its all about. Its the only thing I hate about smoking my Hookah.
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:48 PM
invayn3
Hookah Nut

My uninitiated friends/family seemed cool with the idea until I used the word "shisha." They seemed to be confusing it with a different word that means something very different Thankfully a quick visit to wikipedia clears it up pretty quick. I tend to use "flavored tobacco" nowadays to avoid a re-occurrence. On the rare occasion someone gives me a horrified look at the sight of the hookah I'll generally just say: "like the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland." Tends to draw laughs and rosier attitudes...then they'll ask if I can make smoke letters. Hah, I can't even get "O" right
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM
trptguy007
Hookah Nut

yea, when i brought mine home for a session, my mom told me she saw "something like that in college". I didn't want to ask, but she smoked with me and enjoyed it. i think she's looking to take my small one off my hands now....
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
trptguy007
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRpunx14 View Post
right after i first started smoking, something.... in the closet if they come to visit me. i don't really care when strangers have unreasonable conjectures about me, but when you're unable to educate a close family member (even just enough that you don't have to hide one of your favorite hobbies completely), it sux.
come out of the hookah closet! be proud!
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:15 PM
zlj1989
Hookah Nut

It's hit and miss for me. My parents were concerned at first but when I explained it to them that I only smoke tobacco out of it they were ok with it. They still don't like me having it because I spend quite a bit of money on it and they don't smoke at all.

*edited by KK*

No illegal substances will EVER touch my hookahs because it would totally ruin them in my opinion lol.

Last edited by KoRnKitten; May 2nd, 2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: We dont' hint or reference!
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Luckily for me my father was in the Navy so when he was touring The middle east, he got to be around it and understand the culture. So when I brought one around he was pretty surprised to see one again. My mom was skeptical too, she made me smoke outside for the longest time, till she tried it, she was hooked, and when she realized it doesn't have sticky smoke and doesn't smell the place up, she let me inside. Now you can see them both in my videos from time to time. Aswell as Anthony, Who is in almost everyone of my reviews, he absolutely hated the idea, and when i got him to take one hit he was hooked.

But like most of you, my extended family has a hard time seeing the light...
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:40 PM
theGuy
Hookah Nut

Happens to me all the time. Hookah is a relatively "new" way to smoke in my area, so a lot of people assume that it's used to smoke anything but tobacco.
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM
SaraAE01
Hookah Newbie

I have a similar argument going on with my roommate. He says in our lease it states "no Smoking" but I assume they are relating to cigarettes. My roommate says theres no difference between the two.Hookah smoke does not "stink" like cigarettes by far......its simply ignorance
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:18 PM
deadhead12
Hookah Newbie

Yeah, hookah does have a stigma for a lot of people, but its nothing like I used to get back when I rolled my own cigs.
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:28 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraAE01 View Post
I have a similar argument going on with my roommate. He says in our lease it states "no Smoking" but I assume they are relating to cigarettes.
I'm sure your landlord will tell you it includes any smoking. That would include hookahs.

Old May 1st, 2010, 06:52 PM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

BZ's trp! Nice positive story. Smoke happy.

dus'

Quote:
Originally Posted by trptguy007 View Post
yea, when i brought mine home for a session, my mom told me she saw "something like that in college". I didn't want to ask, but she smoked with me and enjoyed it. i think she's looking to take my small one off my hands now....
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:59 AM
A_Teator1
Hookah Pro

Yeah i get the occasional "waterpipe" and "worse than cigs" people too but i just try to explain. oh well theyre loss lol
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook