Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Do you think your addicted?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
SaraAE01
Hookah Newbie

Question Do you think your addicted?

I know most would say hookahs not addicting. Personally, I love it, but always have that worry that I might be addicted...anyone with me? thoughts?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
trptguy007
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Do you think your addicted?

it has the potential to be addicting, obviously with the nicotine. Less that cigarettes because I believe shisha has a lower nic content than cigs, but as far as addicting goes, yea hookah has the potential to be addicting. It doesn't help that hookah is extremely enjoyable, so even if you are not addicted, you are probably going to smoke quite a bit.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Mind over matter, I don't think the nicotine content is high enough with out combustion to be physically addicting.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
mobster100
Hookah Newbie

I get no flavour from it so i can't enjoy it.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
SaraAE01
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
it has the potential to be addicting, obviously with the nicotine. Less that cigarettes because I believe shisha has a lower nic content than cigs, but as far as addicting goes, yea hookah has the potential to be addicting. It doesn't help that hookah is extremely enjoyable, so even if you are not addicted, you are probably going to smoke quite a bit.
I couldn't agree more. Nicotine or not, after a long day.....hookah is sooo realaxing and enjoyable
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

i think you can get addicted, especially the people on here that smoke 8 bowls a day. i'm wondering if these people even have a job or something they could be doing rather then smoking hookah for 10-16 hours a day.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
theGuy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarcity View Post
Mind over matter, I don't think the nicotine content is high enough with out combustion to be physically addicting.
I agree with this. I only smoke twice a week, and in the moments that I do "crave" I find thats it's just because I want to practice my tricks and learn to set up a perfect session.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
Avii
Hookah Nut

Same as theGuy its not so much that i have a physical need for it such as is the case of addiction but i get the urge just to get a better hang of setup && to play with the smoke
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

I know im not addicted. I smoke because I want to, not because I need to. Theres no need for me to stop because I enjoy it.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:18 PM
wildmancherry1
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to wildmancherry1

Im not addicted.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:19 PM
theGuy
Hookah Nut

On another note, I can't stop doing it because I know that it's not bad for my health, especially since I only do it once or twice a week. Plus I keep up my exercise :P
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:32 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGuy View Post
On another note, I can't stop doing it because I know that it's not bad for my health,
how do you know that it's not bad for your health? do you have any sources or anything?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
theGuy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
how do you know that it's not bad for your health? do you have any sources or anything?
I've read the entirety of the report on Hookah Smoking and ETS by Dr. Kamal Chaouachi. Seems pretty damn convincing to me =/

Though, anything that we put in our lungs is bad. I guess what I mean is that it's not as bad as what anti-tobacco people think or say. Most people associate tobacco with cigarettes. Correct me if I'm wrong x]
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
Rudie Cant Fail
Hookah Pro

I think I might be ^_^.
But, happily addicted.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Pixelz
Hookah Pro

Addiction is not being able to control your urges and it feels like it's something you have to do to survive, Unlike Cigarette smokers who get jittery and foul tempered when they haven't had their cigarette.
Hookah smokers get excited to smoke, usually because their excited to try a new flavor or a new hose or bowl.

Hookah smokers aren't annoying with their habit like Cigarette smokers are.

We're quiet, relaxed and content, not like cigarette smokers who suck down ever precious smoke molecule because they "have to have it"

I'm sure it can be addicting. But more over, I think we're addicted to the beauty of our hookahs, and what we can do with them more than nicotine.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
theGuy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelz View Post
Addiction is not being able to control your urges and it feels like it's something you have to do to survive, Unlike Cigarette smokers who get jittery and foul tempered when they haven't had their cigarette.
Hookah smokers get excited to smoke, usually because their excited to try a new flavor or a new hose or bowl.

Hookah smokers aren't annoying with their habit like Cigarette smokers are.

We're quiet, relaxed and content, not like cigarette smokers who suck down ever precious smoke molecule because they "have to have it"

I'm sure it can be addicting. But more over, I think we're addicted to the beauty of our hookahs, and what we can do with them more than nicotine.

What a wonderful way to put it ^^
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

yep to nicotine...but I strted out on ciggs years ago...havent smoked a cigg in many years though just hookah and some chewing tobacco maybee some cigars and a corn cobb occasionally...I just refuse to touch a cigg anymore but I do get nicotine withdrawls if I go a whole day or 2 with out my nicotine.....I can safly say I'm more addicted to coffee...Ohh god If I dont get my morning coffee you better watch out
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

No.

Then again that is coming from a guy that just spent the weekend at cigarfest 2010.

I have full control over the hobby and go long periods with no nicotine intake. No withdrawal or cravings.

Any type of smoking is bad for you. There is not a question about that. It's just a matter of degree. Hookah is very low on the damage scale. Nicotine is destructive to the cardiovascular system on it's own so any activity that involves it will be bad for you.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

nah,
if im busy i dont miss it one bit
as soon as i get bored, then i want to hookah, but i go days without needing it
i think need is addiction, want is not
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx Send a message via MSN to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx Send a message via Skype™ to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post
i think you can get addicted, especially the people on here that smoke 8 bowls a day. i'm wondering if these people even have a job or something they could be doing rather then smoking hookah for 10-16 hours a day.
I myself smoke between 6 and 8 bowls a day and do in fact, have a job. I just got back from Iraq in Jan. and was discharged with an honorary a week later. I am now working as a video game tester for a branch of Bethesda from home. Yeah it's not the "best" job out there, but it's still enjoyable and I am looking into finishing up my graphic arts degree soon too.

As far as being "addicted"" though, I can honestly say I'm not. While yes, I'll sit here and smoke bowl after bowl while I'm working and then smoke a couple bowls with my wife when she gets home. I smoke because it relaxes me and allows me to enjoy the "little things" in life that most people overlook because they go by so fast. I place a new stash order every month of so and when we run out, I don't get upset like I use to do when I ran out of Skoal, I just live life like everyone else and wait until my next order comes in. There's not feining involved or anything like that.

But, then again, this is just mean and obviously not everyone is the same. Thanks for taking the time to read all this guys!!
----Happy smoking!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:27 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

I think it's more mentally addictive/habit forming than anything.

I spend a lot of time in front of my computer writing (working on a novel). And if I'm sitting there without my hookah for too long it feels a little odd. Like it should be there, and I should be enjoying the contemplative nature of the smoke.

However, at the same time, I never get the jitters, headaches, or other withdrawal type symptoms if I go a day or two without smoking. There's the slight weirdness of my routine being off, but no physical need to indulge.

And this is coming from a guy who smokes unwashed black moassel at least twice a day. If anyone would have a nicotine addiction from hookah, it'd probably be me.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:16 AM
Henrik202
Hookah Newbie

well it's a good thing to do, and i do smoke 2-3 times a week for about 3 years so far, but i would not say im addicted. i could simply resist not to smoke for 1-2 months.
However it has become a habit, which i'd miss.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook