Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah, uh, Culture by location and coal question!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 9th, 2010, 07:26 AM
colby
Hookah Nut

Default Hookah, uh, Culture by location and coal question!

Hey everyone,
Just thought it would be interesting to hear from people how popular hookah is in their location. As a student at the University of Washington in Seattle it would seem college towns are places to go for hookah stuff. The U-District has 3 hookah bars all within 1 mile of each other and all the smoke shops carry an abundance of shisha and hookah products. However one thing I've noticed is no one carries natural coals its all either dodo or golden freakin quick lights. I finally found a place that carries al fakher lemonwood and japanese easy lights. I bought the lemonwood which I'm kind of regretting. They heat the shisha perfeclty and have no taste watsoever if you can get them lit properly. My stove didn't do the job so I had to try and light them with my tripple emitter tourch lighter. So I guess I need to buy a little single coil burner. I'm thinking of getting the japanese easy lights. Could someone tell me if they produce any taste and how long they last / how much ashing occurs. The lemonwood made the shisha flavor really pop but the weird shapes and sizes make lighting really difficult and standard deviation in burn times is absolutley huge. Sometimes they last for an hour other times 15 min. The japanese ones are nice cause they are consistent but it would be helpful to know how hot they burn and if theres any taste.
Thanks,
Colby
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:41 AM
puneet739
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Hookah, uh, Culture by location and coal question!

m from delhi and hookah is not that popular over here.. u can get plenty of hookah lounge here but veyr limited resources to buy new hookah and hose.. and only alfakher flavor is available at my place...
Old May 9th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Devsterman
Hookah Nut

Fort Collins is home to Colorado State University. It seems like hookah is a popular thing. There are only two hookah bars (that I know of), and they are literally across the alley from eachother. It isn't even a street. An alley. Loveland is really close to FoCo, and it seems that hookah is also quite popular there too. There just aren't any hookah shops. Its always interesting to me to hear about different people that are into hookah, that I never thought would.
Old May 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Caninus69
Hookah Newbie

There are no hookah bars around the USC area where I stay at, but they do have a tobacco shop where i buy my Fusion and coals. Sadly that's all he carries :[
Old May 9th, 2010, 01:07 PM
hubertee2004
Banned

San Francisco. Hookah is quite popular here and getting more and more popular. There are quite a bit of hookah bars in SF but they are all pretty close to each other. Also, we have a store here in SF dedicated to strictly hookah. The Lemonwood coals just need 15minutes to light on a coil burner. If they are too big, jsut let them light and then you can break them after they are fully lit. Easy-Lite are very fast to light even with a stove but as usual, coil burner is ALWAYS recoomended. The Easy-Lite, they burn almost as hot as natural coals. Usually, if u get the Genuine Easy-Lite, theres no taste or smell. When lighting easy-lite, theres SOMETIMES a slight charcoal smell but its VERYYY small.
Old May 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

If I had to choose between natural lump lemon wood coals and japanese easy lites I would go for the lemon wood
Old May 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoapplesplease View Post
If I had to choose between natural lump lemon wood coals and japanese easy lites I would go for the lemon wood
Me too. Lots of ash though.

Hookah isn't so popular except with the youth here. I'll probably make some Starbuzz youngins' smoke something that will make them sick one day.
Old May 9th, 2010, 04:44 PM
jvminner
Hookah Nut

The jap coals are alright but don't last nearly that long. It's kind of like, would you rather have consistant short sessions or sort through to find larger bits for longer sessions.
Old May 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM
xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx Send a message via MSN to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx Send a message via Skype™ to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx

I live in Saint Cloud, MN the home of SCSU. Hookah is slightly popular with the college kids, and the only lounge that was in town closed a few months back. Now the closest one is an hour to an hour and a half away in the Twin Cities area, where there are actually 5 pretty close to one another. The shops here in St Cloud are good though, they carry a lot of AF, Nak, SB, Pharoahs, and JM's. As well as hookahs, charcoals, and all the other goodies.

As far as Lemonwood or Japanese coals, I wouldn't use either. If I had to, I'd go with the lemon wood.

KM 34" Single Pear | KM 32" Halzone | KM 30" Carnaval
Old May 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

In NY you pretty much can't avoid but run into hookah, whether knowing someone who smokes, shopping at the store that sells hookah or being in the vicinity of only god knows how many hookah lounges spread across the tri-state. You have blocks of hookah goods and lounges from astoria, queens down to hookah paradise in jersey. And the competitive pricing between them all is only an icing on the cake.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:22 PM
SOLEJDM
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to SOLEJDM

hookah is the thing to do for high schoolers/college students who can't legally drink or don't have a lot of cash. there's dozens of lounges near my college and they're all basically the same thing. i've been to two out of the ten that use natural lights, but in recent months, i've stopped "lounging" and been just smoking at a friend's house. most of the lounges have some sort of drama associated with it.
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:47 AM
trptguy007
Hookah Nut

Warrnsburg, MO at the University of Central Missouri has one, which is pretty good for a tiny conservative farm/college town. actually, the Lebanese owner recently sold it to a couple guys. I'm pretty pissed about it because a) they don't really know what they are doing or even really care apparently, and b) they are turning it into their frat's place which is pretty gay. I mean, what respectable hookah lounge mixes quicklights and nats? and i asked what brand of shisha they used (although i already knew) and when the dude came back from checking because he didn't know offhand, he says to me "umm...al...fucker? al ....fecker..something...?". still think they should have left the business to the middle easterner.....
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:48 AM
trptguy007
Hookah Nut

and go with coconaras and a coil heater. or a benzo torch.
Old May 10th, 2010, 03:12 AM
puneet739
Hookah Nut

coconara is the best, and use quick lites too
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM
killak3v
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGram View Post
In NY you pretty much can't avoid but run into hookah, whether knowing someone who smokes, shopping at the store that sells hookah or being in the vicinity of only god knows how many hookah lounges spread across the tri-state. You have blocks of hookah goods and lounges from astoria, queens down to hookah paradise in jersey. And the competitive pricing between them all is only an icing on the cake.

this is a very true state NY is packed with hookah lounges
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:27 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGram View Post
yeah it seems like compared to the rest of the country the tristate is hookah paradise
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Ahildebrand13
Hookah Nut

There's one Hookah bar out here that is walking distance from my school and a few people have them in their houses, but the culture doesn't isn't too big at least among the college kids. The hookah bar has a lot of persian patrons that are there every day
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook