Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Stupid coal problems, Al Fakher Lemonwood

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 10th, 2010, 03:17 AM
colby
Hookah Nut

Default Stupid coal problems, Al Fakher Lemonwood

Okay so I want to stop using quick lights cause I have discovered they make me really sick. I have acide reflux so I always thought I got sick from smoking hookah cause of all the smoke but after using natural coals I feel fine. The problem is natural coals are really hard to come by here in Seattle, which is strange. I have only found non-quicklight coals in one shop and so my option is pretty much either Al Fakher Lemonwood or Japanese Easy Lights. I bought the AF lemonewood and they make really nice smoke. However they are almost impossible to light and heat management is a problem with them too.

I don't have a coil burner but I tourched them with a propane/butane mix burner for quite some time. The propane/butane mix is quite volatile and made a huge and extremely hot tourch. Even with that they took about 20 min to really get going. AF lemonwood coals are all different sizes and shapes some so big you have to smash them with a rock. The weird shapes make heat up a pain. I know coil burners a recomende but I don't see how that would work any better when direct heat with a tourch/stove didn't even work.

And then managing the heat is really hard due to the weird shapes. When heres not a lot of surface area touching the bowl the shisha is too cold but when theres a lot its too hot. Basically the varying shapes and sizes produce inconsistent smoking sessions.

And then they don't last long either by the time they are lit all the way through they have already dissolved into very small pieces and don't last long. Even when going out they still have black on them. They seem to be no different than natural BBQ charcoal. Its a shame cause they would be awesome if they weren't so hard to get set up right and were more consistent.

So I'm thinking about getting the Japanese Easy Lights. I think they are the chinese knock offs though. They are about the same price and seem like they would be better cause they are all perfect sized cubes. Heating would go easier again cause they have nice big flat surfaces. And it would make figuring out how many to put on the hookah much easier.

I'm just concerned they may produce a bad taste due to the silve on them. The lemonwood really does make the shisha taste amazing. A lot of people have said they would rather go with the lemonwood and that the easy lights don't last long. But then all the reviews said they actually last a long time. So it would be very helpful if I could get some advice. I'm pissed cause I also bought the electronic coal thing that doesn't work too well so that makes to things I've bougth from this shop that don't seem to be very good. Thanks an advanced for any input, and sorry for the book. =)
Colby
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: Stupid coal problems, Al Fakher Lemonwood

Coco-nara.us
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:32 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Coco-nara.us
dont forget to use "hookahpro.com" buy 3 get 1 free
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:00 PM
colby
Hookah Nut

Well I can't really order online. I'm in college and I'm staying at my grandparents house near the UW cause they live in their other house in florida for most of the time sschool is going. So no mail gets delivered here so I would have to have the coals shipped to my parents house.
Old May 10th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Shirtless7
Hookah Nut

Dude, you're in college, I'm sure you have a friend with a permanent address you could use. Coconara's are one of the best natural coals on the market. Just buy a portable coil hotplate and you are in business.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:15 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

you can always rent a mailbox at a UPS store or Mailboxes etc. Its pretty easy and they sign for your deliveries if necessary.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Exoticas and a $10 coil burner from Walgreens and your set.
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:09 PM
colby
Hookah Nut

Update got a coil burner whooo! Its weird I couldn't find one anywhere walgreens was a no go. Found one for $2 at the value village. I took it apart and bent the heating coils around so they heat the coals on all sides and its amazing. Lights the coals much better. Couldn't get them lit with a direct flame they just disintegrated while still black. I couldn't tell the differnce between the lemon wood and the japanese. I like the consitent shape with the japanese though. Perfect I'm never using quick lights again.
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:25 PM
jbrown23
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Coco-nara.us

yes coco-nara.us is the best place and its cheap
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook