Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Forum > Hookah Stuff > Homemade Hookah Stuff

Homemade Hookah Stuff Share your homemade hookahs, hoses, ideas, or any other tricks / techniques that you use to enhances your hookah smoking experience ...

The "ring" or "pocket" foil method

Homemade Hookah Stuff

Reply Share

Old May 30th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Interpol
Hookah Newbie

Default The "ring" or "pocket" foil method

I'm fairly new to hookah and was having problems with burning my shisha. I tried packing less shisha, so it woulden't touch the foil, using fewer coals, and the double foil method. I just kept burning it no matter what I did. I was thinking about it on the way back from the beach house and came to the conclusion of having some sort gap between the coals and the shisha so it would not burn. I came up with using a foil ring between the two sheets of foil.

First, pack your hookah with shisha like you would normally. Cover with a layer of foil shiny side down and poke a large number of holes, leaving a small gap around the edge of the bowl for the ring. Make the ring using a rectangle of foil, about 3 inches by 6 inches, and fold/roll it half in inch at a time. Fold it once more in half along the length. You should end up with a quarter inch by six inch strip. Bend it into a circle, a smidge bigger than your area of the holes you poked and slip one end into the other. Place on the bottom foil and wrap with the top foil. Poke a normal amount of holes on the top foil. Light your coals and place in the center.
Attached Thumbnails
Hookah 001.jpg   Hookah 002.jpg   Hookah 003.jpg   Hookah 004.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Hookah 001.jpg_thumb (26.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb Hookah 002.jpg_thumb (26.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb Hookah 003.jpg_thumb (30.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb Hookah 004.jpg_thumb (23.5 KB, 70 views)
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Interpol
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: The "ring" or "pocket" foil method

The rest of the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Hookah 005.jpg   Hookah 006.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Hookah 005.jpg_thumb (25.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb Hookah 006.jpg_thumb (24.6 KB, 41 views)
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

That is a great idea! There is a vid of some guys doing this technique in this thread ... I am gonna try this!

This thread has the vid ... http://www.hookahpro.com/forums/index.php?topic=168.0

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:59 PM
freepain
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to freepain

Good stuff i am let to try this tho

might have to experiment this weekend
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Interpol
Hookah Newbie

The gap makes a pocket of hot air right above the shisha and makes it nice for smoking by yourself. The hot air keeps the shisha going without getting too cold and the gap keeps it from burning while you're resting between drags. The gap also acts as an ash trap

It also lets you be a little lazy by not having to move the coals around and all the shisha gets lets heat each pull but all of get the heat. Great for at parties when you're not always watching over the hookah or preoccupied with a computer or something.
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:33 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

i tried this method 3 times now and each time it seems to fail for me - not enough heat to keep the shisha going. How tall is the ring your making?
Old May 31st, 2007, 07:14 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

yeah, give us some detail, cuz I want to perfect this method to utilize every now and then...

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old May 31st, 2007, 09:16 PM
Interpol
Hookah Newbie

Sorry about not giving as much detail. I'll draw up some diagrams later tonight.

The height of the ring needs to be about 1/4 of an inch tall. The ring should be about an 1/4 of an inch inside the edge of the bowl.

Also, I'm not too sure about how it will act with a phunnel bowl.
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:56 AM
Interpol
Hookah Newbie

Alrighty, here's a diagram to show you whats going on. The inner ring on the top view is 1/4 of an inch inside the edge of the bowl. The rectangle on top in the side view is the ring, 1/4 inch tall. Just wrap another layer of foil over top and add some holes and you'll be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
untitled.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb untitled.JPG_thumb (9.1 KB, 44 views)
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:35 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

wow! nice diagram! that's crazy!!!!! but anyways, i must tried this 10 times the other day, first off my bowl looks ugly and wrinkly, (i hate that lol i'm ocd...lol) and then my coals wouldn't keep the shisha warm enough to smoke. It was almost like there was too much space and i had it exactly 1/4. '

i dunno/ i'll keep trying... you bowl looks 1000x better than mine.... mine looked like it had a seizure.....

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I tried this last night with some El Basha Grape, and Mmmm it was tasty the whole way through! I think this method would work well on easy to burn shisha ... I even used a make shift windscreen to concentrate heat and was getting some pretty billowy clouds. I recommend trying this method...

Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Hum, maybe it's just good for "burnable" shisha, I tried it AGAIN last night with the AF Cappicino and couldn't even get enough smoke to see I was even heating the shisha - or taste. Removed the ring and ta-da! Instant smoke/taste. Hum.... what the heck am I doing wrong?
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

You could try a windcover, that helps to conduct the heat on top...?

Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
Interpol
Hookah Newbie

I guess it depends on which coals and shisha are being used. I usually use 1 Japanese silver with some Starbuzz in my standard Mya bowl. If its kinda windy a coal and a half works really well. I am also using heavy duty aluminum foil instead those thin hookah foils.

Sammniamii and KoRnKitten, you're basically trying to draw the same amount of air through twice the resistance of a normal screen,to remedy this you'll need more holes in both screen. I'll see how many I use next time I smoke and maybe take better pictures.

And thanks for the comment on my diagram. Stuff like that is easy to do when you have $15,000 worth of drafting software.

Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

ohh I had a great session last night, plenty of airflow ... was very enjoyable!

Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
angemonkwj
Hookah Pro

i may give this a shot tomorrow. i have some havana samples i wanna try out.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

It is really nice, like I said, I had the best session ever with my El Basha Grape!

Old June 5th, 2007, 02:21 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol
I guess it depends on which coals and shisha are being used. I usually use 1 Japanese silver with some Starbuzz in my standard Mya bowl. If its kinda windy a coal and a half works really well. I am also using heavy duty aluminum foil instead those thin hookah foils.

Sammniamii and KoRnKitten, you're basically trying to draw the same amount of air through twice the resistance of a normal screen,to remedy this you'll need more holes in both screen. I'll see how many I use next time I smoke and maybe take better pictures.

And thanks for the comment on my diagram. Stuff like that is easy to do when you have $15,000 worth of drafting software.

I put lots o'holes.... hum, maybe i just made the ring too tall or not wide enough. I also use the windcover becasue with this set-up, the coal bounces around a bit and I'm terrified it's gonna bounce right off onto the carpet!

Interpool: Drafter software? Autocad? Which version?
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Interpol
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammniamii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol
I guess it depends on which coals and shisa are being used. I usually use 1 Japanese silver with some Starbuzz in my standard Mya bowl. If its kinda windy a coal and a half works really well. I am also using heavy duty aluminum foil instead those thin hookah foils.

I put lots o'holes.... hum, maybe i just made the ring too tall or not wide enough. I also use the windcover becasue with this set-up, the coal bounces around a bit and I'm terrified it's gonna bounce right off onto the carpet!

Interpool: Drafter software? Autocad? Which version?
Just do a little experimenting with the ring. It should be quite wide and you might need to make yours not quite as tall.

BTW, I used AutoCAD 2007 student version. I also have Autodesk Inventor Professional 11 student version.
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:00 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Sweet! I have a full version '05 at home, but I'm using '08 at work! Nice to meet other people who use the same stuff, ya know?

I guess I'll try again - got some non-smoker friends coming over. They get to be test subjects! *evil snicker*
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:00 AM
Louis
Hookah Newbie

if this is because your having too much heat and getting your shisha burned easily just use 2 layers of foil on your bowl instead of 1 works just as well and doesnt take as much effort and foil.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
ToshJoy
Hookah Newbie

Looks like a great idea. I may just have to try it out. Usually I just try to keep the coals as close to the edge as possible, mostly sitting on the edges of the bowl, just barely touching the shisha.
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM
BoSoxFanatic21
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to BoSoxFanatic21

Ive been experiencing the same problem. Certainly a method I will be trying soon!
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

SO anybody try this technique out? I like using this technique for smoking something dry like Nakhla ...

Old September 27th, 2007, 12:23 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I'm gonna "modifing" this tech for use w/ my shallow clay bowl. Instead of two layers of foil, I'm just gonna put the foil ring directly into the shisha, w/ a space and foil above it. See if it helps prevent burning in that shallow bowl.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook