Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Be careful with new coconaras....

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 13th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Default Be careful with new coconaras....

Since they are made a little differently now and arent fat like they used to be, they tend to be, in my experience, very wobbly, ive had them fall off of my bowl countless times. So if you don't have a windscreen, now Might be a good time to get one
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:01 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Default Re: Be careful with new coconaras....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Since they are made a little differently now and arent fat like they used to be, they tend to be, in my experience, very wobbly, ive had them fall off of my bowl countless times. So if you don't have a windscreen, now Might be a good time to get one
It's always a good time to have a wind cover. My sessions would not be half as good without a wind cover. As far as i am concerned it's a necessary item.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:02 PM
HSK Locals
Hookah Pro

In my opinion, it is on of the worst things when the coals move while your smoking, i dont like windscreens though, i find they make weaker smoke, ill just use a different natural coal
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:06 PM
HSK Locals
Hookah Pro

sorry not windscreens, metal bowl covers is what i was talking about. my bad im playing COD and doing this at the same time. i use a custom wind cover with my KM because all others dont fit, so there is still room for the coals to fall. i have a metal bowl cover and it has a lip on it. this would work as well, you will just be giving up smoke.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Cadrian
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Cadrian

I just started so I don't know what the original Cocnaras are.... but I do have the Cube ones now.

They do tend to wobble but I dot see how they would fall off. Only problem I have is picking them up with my tongs because some of them are shaped Funny, but once they are on my bowl... they go no where.

is your setup on a hill or something? because thinking about it I think could put a ball bearing on top of my bowl and it not fall off, considering my setup is level and stable.

I just got windcover yesterday and it does make my carpet feel safer.
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

i havent head any issue with the new coco's
i like them better
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

I really like the small coco's. I place them in from the edge of the bowl just a bit and haven't had any problems with them falling off of the bowl, even when the darned dog bumps the hookah. LOL Placing them in a bit hasn't negatively affected the moassel cook, either. It works for me, might or might not work for you. But I can certainly see how they could have a tendancy to roll off the edge if you place them near the edge of the bowl, especially when they've burned down a bit and the edges have rounded somewhat. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Devil_Ducky
Hookah Newbie

I've never experienced the old coco nara's, i've used quick lights up until recently and love the coco's. I definitely would agree wind protectors are a must for a great smoke session and heat management.

Even indoors i keep the cover handy. when the coals start to cool you can pop a wind protector over the bowl and get the clouds back up.

Last edited by Devil_Ducky; May 13th, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:32 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

with the new coco's I like to make a very short (1/4 inch ) foil crown...Mostly its purpose is a coal bumper in case those suckers trys to roll on me
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:11 PM
theGuy
Hookah Nut

Thanks for the heads up ^^
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Twoapples im trying to figure out how to craft something like that... Ive burnt the carpet a few times now with these things XD

Thats not to say these are bad coals.. Still 10 out of 10 even if my house burns down lol.
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
are you standing them on their sides that they are wobbly? Im not understanding how they are moving that much.

When I start a bowl with new coals i will stand them on their side and use a windcover till the bowl is nice and heated and then remove the windcover. once the coals begin to shrink down i lay them flat and move them to the edge of the bowl to manage the heat.
How are you placing them on your bowl?
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:39 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

BP he's talking bout the new coco's, cubed ones.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:44 PM
pampinboy0815
Hookah Newbie

last time i used coconaras i got terrible smoke maybe i got a bad batch but they were fully lit because they were red hot all around and they didnt last long either. ANY COMMENTS
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Maxwell314
Hookah Newbie

I used the old cocos and the new ones. I really have no issues with the new ones, although they are bigger they seem to last just as long. I havent had any issues with them rolling over (when I rotate my coals I always pick a flat side that is hot). As for harshness no issues, if you really have too much heat you can always take a hammer and screwdriver to them. I just like them that much more than lemon wood coals because they last that much longer, and you dont have to fiddle as much. imho, the new cocos are packaged much better than the old ones.

The main advantages that keep me using coconut coals over lemon or orange wood coals is that coconut coals tend to last longer, ash less, consistent size, and your hands dont get as dirty when breaking down the large pieces or just handling them (you dont even have to break em down in most instances.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:08 PM
eradikater
Hookah Nut

i love coco coals, the square shape helps them stay in place
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Mike5Smith
Hookah Newbie

i like coconara coals cuz of their square structure. provide it to be easier to place and be still
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:36 AM
xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx Send a message via MSN to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx Send a message via Skype™ to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx

Quote:
I fell ya bud. +1,
Countless carpet burns, lol.

KM 34" Single Pear | KM 32" Halzone | KM 30" Carnaval
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Special K
Hookah Nut

Tried the new coco shape last night at a friend's place.

They're interesting. I prefer the old shape. The problem we had with them is not the rolling, though they did roll a little when someone took a big draw, but that the ones we used kind of turned into a ball (contributing to the roll). Cause of that, they didn't provide as much heat on the bowl cause the surface area was smaller.

Cause of all that, we had to light up more coals a little more often.

All in all, still a good coal, but I prefer the old shape. More surface area, more heat to the bowl.
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Exactly Special K Thats another thing I Noticed last night. The surface area of the coal actually touching the bowl was like 1 square 1/4 of an inch or less.

But as far as the coals wobbling. Like since they arent the long shape they were, were the sat down better, they tend to be top heavy, and just oblong so they never really sit right. Ill make a video tonight.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook