Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Layering and Mixing Shisha Flavors

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 16th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Cadrian
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Cadrian
Default Layering and Mixing Shisha Flavors

I have ruined 2 bowls with Nakla Mizo Mint so far....

I bought the mint for the menthol sensation... and so far it overpowers everything else in the bowl.

First time I mixed 50/50 with Nakla Mizo Mint and Nakla Orange... BIG mistake my cusion wont even try the hookah anymore because he said the taste was so bad. ( I just mixed them all together on tin foil before I put in the bowl)

Last Night I put Fumari Fruit Punch and Mizo Mint together... Again looking for the menthol Sensation.... I used a piece of Mizo Mint I swear the size of my Pink Nail and mixed it with Fumari on tin foil... I tasted only mint.... I wasted a whole bowl of Fumari, it tasted only like mint nothing else. which is crazy considering the small percentage of Mint Shisha I used.

Now comes the question after watching countless youtube videos... I see people layering in their bowls the flavor.

How layering effect the taste? What flavor do you put on the bottom and why? What goes on Top and why? Does the type of Bowl your using effect the layering and mixing effect? Is this the best method to mix flavors?

Do people every mix the flavors straight up before putting in the bowl like I have been doing? I seen someone do it somewhere, so I know someone does. And what would be a good reason to mix this way?
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:22 AM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Layering and Mixing Shisha Flavors

I mix that way.......Mizo mint is ridonkulously too strong...switch to nakhla classic mint and you should have less problems with it ghosting so hard...Nakhla classic mint is much more natural tasting and will still give you that "cooling" sensation ,maybee not as much as the mizo but after a few bowls of the classic mint you'll be glad you made the switch...
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:37 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Sometimes when I'm lazy I layer it, and if I do just 2 layers it goes through 2 different flavors, first the mix, and then as the top layer is burned off, the single bottom flavor (for example, lemon on the bottom mint on top, first you get the minty lemon, then just the lemon). You can also either sandwich it (dominant layer on the bottom, predominant in the middle and then another dominant on top of that), or do 4 layers in the same manner. Other times I mix it fully, to get a consistent flavor throughout the session.

BTW whenever I use mizo mint in a mix, I never use more than 3-5g of it and it's plenty.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:46 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Mizo Mint is extremely strong yet quite nice to smoke on its own like the Nakhla Cinnamon it also is just pure flavor.

The only time I do layering is when I smoke leftovers( not enough to fill a bowl on its own) eg have 3 different types of peach flavor left over (Nakhla Al Waha and El Sham) I would then layer them from the strongest to the weakest at the bottom and in order of heat resilience makes for a good smoke with slight change in flavor and helps utilize the coal fully as the coal burns down the the more heat sensitive tobacco responds and produces flavor. Thus giving a nice smoke without harshness.
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

try putting a few pieces of mizo mint on the bottom of the bowl.

Also I'm pretty sure your hose is ghosted HORRIBLY.
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

I generally blend the two moassels together when I mix. I haven't had any bad experiences from doing it that way yet. But, I've never tried that particular mint, either. From the comments I've read just in this thread I'd lean toward not mixing it with anything as it sounds like it definately dominates the flavor arena. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM
imbordagin
Hookah Newbie

if you have juicy tobacco, like al fakher, putting it on the top will help prevent burning because the water in the juices insulate the rest of the head. If you have old/dry tobacco this can save it from burning and gives better smoke. Alternatively, you can mix any flavor with honey (not flavor, the food) and it will moisten it up.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:01 PM
corey150
Hookah Nut

yeh dude...your hose is toast lol hope its washable if so use vingar and baking soda or lime juice and baking soda that should get rid of that ghost lol
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:13 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

The hose is fine, I smoke most of the sheh. line with my km leather hose, lately I've been mixing a 50/50 of cinnamon and mizo mint (2 of the worst ghosters) and yes the hose is ghosted, but about 5 mins into another flavor and it's pretty much gone. If it's washable, wash it, if not, don't worry about it.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Absolem
Hookah Nut

The lounge in my town mixes that way. Because I have to be able to put up and tear down my hookah with relative speed, I prefer to just fill half the bowl with one flavour, then fill the rest with another.

When at the lounge, I notice that the flavours come at you at the same time, but when I "split the bowl" or layer, they come in waves.

When my friends and I layer, we use a mod (Egyptian, mya) bowl with the weaker flavour on the bottom. I think the logic is so that the stronger flavour will blend in to the weaker and the weaker doesn't cook as quickly.

It's really just a matter of preference.
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Cadrian
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Cadrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGram View Post

BTW whenever I use mizo mint in a mix, I never use more than 3-5g of it and it's plenty.
I used what had to be like half a gram and it took over the entire bowl..... Mizo Mint aint no joke. I think ill try your layering method in one of my next sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGram View Post
The hose is fine, I smoke most of the sheh. line with my km leather hose, lately I've been mixing a 50/50 of cinnamon and mizo mint (2 of the worst ghosters) and yes the hose is ghosted, but about 5 mins into another flavor and it's pretty much gone. If it's washable, wash it, if not, don't worry about it.
Ya my hose is ghosted but its a Nammor... I was pulling air through it last night bored... and I have smoked like 3 or 4 bowls after Mizo and still only taste mizo in it. But like you where saying once I get another bowl smoking I don't taste it. Ill probably go to today and get some lemon Juice anyway, been meaning to.
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

Be sure to let the hose dry thoroughly before using it again. Moisture in the hose could cause residues from the smoke to stick and gum up a bit and also, rinse it really well after using the lemon juice. The juice works wonderfully at cutting the ghosting of the hose but, and this is just my personal experience, when I did that and rinsed it well but didn't let it dry thoroughly the following smoke tasted horrible. I rinsed it again and let it dry overnight this time (used a different hose to smoke out of) there was no problem at all. Again, just my experience. You might find different results. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:58 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Stronger flavors on the bottom so that the flavors change as the bowl gets smoked and heats up more and more. Also the stronger flavor on the bottom means that you are guaranteed to taste both so long as the balance is correct.
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM
matt_attack757
Hookah Nut

try the nakhla mint the mizo line mint is so strong
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook