Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

hookah better than cigarettes?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Jaustin
Hookah Newbie

Default hookah better than cigarettes?

I've been told many many different things about the health facts between shisha tobacco and cigarettes. I can't find solid answer anywhere. Is smoking shisha better than smoking cigarettes when it comes to health issues? Thanks for taking the time to respond
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:19 PM
MGHookah
Hookah Nut

Default Re: hookah better than cigarettes?

Shisha is 90284092184019280 times better than cigarettes, theres no tar going into your lungs, not nearly as many cancer causing materials if any in shisha as there are with cigarettes.

Last edited by BIGPOPPA; May 17th, 2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: banned member and link to other forum on channel
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:28 PM
tomknotts
Hookah Pro

this is a huge debate in the hookah circle... The honest answer is no one knows. For the main reason no one has done proper testing on hookah tobaco... the few facts we know is there seems to be alot less tar in hookah smoke(cant say if there is none), as well you dont have all the additive chemicals that is added to cigerette tabaco..but at the same time you get alot more co in hookah smoke...
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:04 PM
mikemindt3492
Hookah Newbie

with moassel you arn't actually burning anything thus producing either little or zero tar as opposed to say a ciggarette which BURNS and is at a much higher temperature.
just take into account someone who has never smoked anything before. they can take a large pull off of a hookah and be fine (except for an unwashed tobacco!).
try that with a cigarette!
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:18 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Cigarettes are better for you, here's why, a single cigarette does not contain 15-20 grams of tobacco smoked in a hookah, you don't smoke a cigarette for more than 10 mins, it does not produce copious amounts of smoke a hookah tobacco does, etc..

In Dusty's words "smoke happy", whatever it is.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:24 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemindt3492 View Post
just take into account someone who has never smoked anything before. they can take a large pull off of a hookah and be fine (except for an unwashed tobacco!).
try that with a cigarette!
Weird comparison no? Unless there are cigarettes that use washed tobacco.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:05 PM
sebal
Hookah Nut

but if you think about it shisha doesn't have any tar but cigarettes do. this is due for the burning of it and shisha is cooked. so it's kinda healthier but not by a lot.
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:09 PM
eradikater
Hookah Nut

shisha does not have any tar and very very little nicotine
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Ahildebrand13
Hookah Nut

As in all things nothing hurts too bad with moderation.
Shisha has less chemicals, but smoke is smoke in your lungs regardless. Im not sure about the tar though
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:52 PM
AbusiveNapkin
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to AbusiveNapkin

Here is a list of things that can be found in cigarettes: (599 of them)
http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nico...ngredients.htm

And in comparison, shisha generally has:
Tobacco, Molasses and flavoring.
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:13 AM
inhalexhale
Hookah Nut

From experience, cigs are worse. They mess up your lungs, you can definitely tell when you smoke them the effect they have on your body. They mess up your breathing capacity, they make you sick and kill your immune system. They make you depressed, give you headaches and are highly addictive both psychologically and physically.
Stay away from them at all costs.
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Maylene
Hookah Nut

Honestly, I can't give you a completely straight answer. There has been little to no controlled tests/experiments on the effects hookah smoking.

Compared to cigarettes, You get a ton of smoke in your lungs and a lot of co2, there's no denying these facts.

As for chemicals and such, There's not a lot of additives and chemicals in shisha.

Essentially, comparing hookah to cig's is like comparing apples to oranges. One is burned and inhaled, the other is baked.

We know, that burning tobacco causes tar, so I guess we have reason to believe that there is none to little in hookah smoking.

Like Ahildebrand13 said, "As in all things nothing hurts too bad with moderation"

I think of smoking hookah in this aspect: A few drinks of alcohol (or a few bowls of shisha) is fine you body can process it, when you go out every single night get wasted, prepare for alcohol poisoning or better yet kidney failure (or Lung cancer).

Hope that clears stuff up a bit.

Old May 18th, 2010, 02:24 AM
ttdr
Hookah Nut

I assume all of you smoke hookah. ( i'm new so i dont smoke shisha YET )

Do you notice anything like condition going down. or are you more often sick.
Bad breath ? are you addicted to the hookah or can you stop for like a month without side effects ? And what about the herbs there is no tabaco in it or are there also some weird chemicals that cause some health issues ?

Probably some question where some of you go " duhh rookie "
anyway thanks ! : )
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Maylene
Hookah Nut

Depends on a lot of different factors

If your a heavy smoker your bound to have health problems. Its a fact. Smoking is not good for your health.

As for breath, It usually smells like what you've been smoking.

It's possible to become addicted to anything really, again depending on different factors. Personally I can go a few weeks without smoking before I get a craving . If you call that addiction then so be it.

The herbal tobacco is made of tea leafs or sugar cane, I'm not entirely sure about the chemicals and additives, but its just as bad or worse than tobacco.

All in all, if you're going to smoke just stick to the tobacco and be responsible. Like I said above, pretty much anything in Moderation should have very little negative effects.

Last edited by Maylene; May 18th, 2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:43 AM
ttdr
Hookah Nut

Ah so its just like drinking 1 time per week is reasonble for the body...
I've never smoked anything before. exept for shisha tobacco

i see allot of things on the internet about 1 hookah session is 200 cigarett's. thats what the " scientist's " say.
I think thats just to scare/warn people

just my 0,02

Last edited by ttdr; May 21st, 2010 at 03:58 AM.
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Maylene
Hookah Nut

The 200 cigarette thing this is twisted. I believe yes, the amount of SMOKE in one hookah session is equivalent to 200 cigg's. They tend to distort the facts (if you could call them that) and say one hookah session is equivalent to smoking 200 cigg's.

Big difference. You smoke 200 cigg's in 1 hour. Let me know if you're still alive and kickin!

Old May 18th, 2010, 04:17 AM
ttdr
Hookah Nut

haha no thanks i'v never smoked a cig before " yea 1 cig to know what the hype was all about " so you'l get me killed with that ammount !

Those news articles are crazy with facts and nummbers...

Last edited by ttdr; May 18th, 2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old May 31st, 2010, 03:37 PM
xyzpdqboy
Hookah Nut

I think it's completely ridiculous that no REAL testing has been done as to the exact effects of hookah vs cigarettes. I know that many people are curious, and many scientists would like to put this to bed. So why don't they? All the research I pull up on the web are from "studies" that are about 4-5 years old, and not a single one of them seems to present solid facts. Everything is a generality, and guesswork done by scientists who only want to get the message across that "smoke = bad for you"

Sure, that may be true, but I'd like some solid numbers to look at. They all say that hookah smoke has tar like cigarettes, but doesn't most shisha have 0% tar now? and what exactly is the nicotine level in a standard cigarette? is .5% a lot lower/higher, comparatively?

I'd really also like to see a breakdown of the chemicals present in the inhaled/exhaled smoke, because if the primary health concerns are the tar level and nicotine levels, then wouldn't the new Evolution Tea Shisha be extremely less harmful? Or are there other chemicals at play? Doesn't seem to me like there would be, what with Shisha having only 3-4 ingredients at most, compared to 500 in cigs.
Seems to me the only issue with the Tea Shisha would be the fact that, yes, you still are inhaling smoke, which isn't exactly as clean as regular air, no matter how you try to filter it (and no, water can't filter much out, especially since the smoke is only in it for less than a second. That's pretty obvious to me haha)

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but don't you all find it retarded that no one is taking an in-depth look at all this?? Who do we have to write a letter to?

...and if anyone thinks that maybe the reason no one has thoroughly researched it is because a lack of funds/time, then may I point out that scientists spent years researching how to create seedless watermelons, because spitting seeds out is a hassle... so I bet a matter of life and death by smoke inhalation shouldn't be too difficult to justify some time to look into.
Old May 31st, 2010, 03:50 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

I really wish that someone would do some substantial research, even at a junior/community college, so that we could really answer that question. The important thing is, as long as you use moderation, you should be fine. Should. Risks come with anything fun. Hookah might give you lung cancer. Your parachute might not open when you sky dive. There might be a vice cop at strip club to ruin your fun.
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:15 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

http://publicationslist.org/kamal.chaouachi
Substantial testing on modern hookah smoking by an educated individual.
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:22 PM
sin2001
Hookah Nut

better than cigs hummm, not sure, Cigs burn the tobacco making it warm causing tar, with hookah your cooking it not burning it, Yes with hookah you get loads more smoke but little to no tar not sure. But in general the harm comes from smoking, Lungs are made for air not smoke, granted our air now days suck so Who knows the answer, why not get one of those fake lung things and do a Cig and then on a different one do a Hookah and see which is worste off.
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:02 PM
AralVorkosigan
Hookah Nut

We can never assume that shisha has no additives. Tabacco companies are not required to place ingredients in their peoduct for now. all we can assume for now is that smoking anything will cause health problems, but to hell with the side effects it tastes and feels to good to want to put down my hose.
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:08 PM
HSK Locals
Hookah Pro

Funny Fact - on average Chinese food has more chemicals in it than hookah
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:46 PM
zlj1989
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylene View Post
Honestly, I can't give you a completely straight answer. There has been little to no controlled tests/experiments on the effects hookah smoking.

Compared to cigarettes, You get a ton of smoke in your lungs and a lot of co2, there's no denying these facts.

As for chemicals and such, There's not a lot of additives and chemicals in shisha.

Essentially, comparing hookah to cig's is like comparing apples to oranges. One is burned and inhaled, the other is baked.

We know, that burning tobacco causes tar, so I guess we have reason to believe that there is none to little in hookah smoking.
I agree. Smoking hookah and smoking cigs are two totally different things and it would be really hard to compare. Personally, I don't ever think there will be an answer to this age old question. I realize there is still a risk for numerous diseases when I smoke hookah and I take that risk. I just prefer hookah to cigs because of the smell and obviously there are literally unlimited flavors to shisha tobacco.

Old May 31st, 2010, 07:50 PM
Ble3dth3freak
Hookah Pro

IMHO hookah is waaay less harmful to your body than ciggs. Hookah also made me completely forget about ciggs almost overnight and I've been hooked on em for 6 years.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook