Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

hookah better than cigarettes?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 31st, 2010, 08:40 PM
tmv8888
Hookah Pro

Default Re: hookah better than cigarettes?

i believe that if you drank a sugary soda every single day, you'd die faster than if you smoked one bowl of shisha a day. just throwing that out there. Things some of us may do on a daily basis, such as drink soda or eat things that are bad for us, are just as harmful, if not more harmeful, than hookah. We all have a million habits, some of them bad. But for some reason society is geared towards a biased view of hookah smoking due to the GP's opinion of smoking (which btw is based on cigs). People are stubborn and ignorant, and once someone hears something in the media, they believe it instantly. Hookah has a bad rep because of this when in reality a can of soda is just as bad, if not worse...
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:25 PM
MGHookah
Hookah Nut

Ive noticed my friends who have been smoking cigarettes the same amouint of time as ive been smoking hookah have had a very very very noticeable loss in stamina, me personally i feel the same, i feel unaffected and of course shisha has very little nicotine and no tar, but i wouldnt say its that much healthier, smoking is smoking, its not healthy for you, people are going to tell you shit about it and tell you its bad, but it is what it is, its what you want to do, if you enjoy smoking, then keep on smoking, i do hahaa
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:55 PM
Crossfire82
Hookah Nut

Hookah is always better than cigs FTW
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:57 PM
Elco
Hookah Nut

Smoking is bad for you. Whether it is hookah or sigarettes, cigars or pipe....
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Jaustin
Hookah Newbie

Well, thanks for everyones input. I'm still just as confused as I was when I asked the question in the first place. hahah. But I got more of an understanding of it now. My conclusion is "hookah > cigarettes". Thanks everyone.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:18 PM
tapatio10floz
Hookah Nut

of course it's better... it's better in every way it taste good makes bigger clouds and better for your health
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
lizzyrdd
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to lizzyrdd Send a message via Skype™ to lizzyrdd

Lung cancer and population comparisons between USA and Iran and Saudi Arabia (since hookah started in the Middle East and those are the two biggest middle-eastern countries and since Hookah is a big part of their culture)

USA in 2006: 170,000 new cases
Population: 300,000,000
http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/lung/statistics/
http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...ulation+of+USA

Iran in 1995: 13,150,000 confirmed cases
Population: 59,000,000
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2689160/ and
http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...lation+of+Iran

Saudi Arabia: 1,200,000 new cases annually
Population: 24,000,000 (in 2006)
http://www.thoracicmedicine.org/arti...=Alamoudi#ref3
http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...f+saudi+arabia

Rate of Smokers: http://www.kidon.com/smoke/percentages.htm
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:40 PM
joser81
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ble3dth3freak View Post
IMHO hookah is waaay less harmful to your body than ciggs. Hookah also made me completely forget about ciggs almost overnight and I've been hooked on em for 6 years.
Maybe you forgot about cigs because you are smoking enough hookah to get your fix of tobacco or nicotine.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
dest2ko
Hookah Nut

Yahoo recently headlined a study carried out by the Mayo Clinic (pretty damn reputable, I'd say) so I just thought I'd paste it here.

Question

Hookah smoking: Is it safer than cigarettes?

Is hookah smoking safer than smoking cigarettes? I've been told that the water used in the hookah makes the tobacco less toxic.

Answer

from Richard D. Hurt, M.D.

Hookah smoking is not safer than cigarette smoking. Also known as narghile, shisha and goza, a hookah is a water pipe with a smoke chamber, a bowl, a pipe and a hose. Specially made tobacco is heated, and the smoke passes through water and is then drawn through a rubber hose to a mouthpiece. The tobacco is no less toxic in a hookah pipe, and the water in the hookah does not filter out the toxic ingredients in the tobacco smoke. Hookah smokers may actually inhale more tobacco smoke than cigarette smokers do because of the large volume of smoke they inhale in one smoking session, which can last as long as 60 minutes.
While research about hookah smoking is still emerging, evidence shows that it poses many dangers:
[LIST][*]Hookah smoke contains high levels of toxic compounds, including tar, carbon monoxide, heavy metals and cancer-causing chemicals (carcinogens). In fact, hookah smokers are exposed to more carbon monoxide and smoke than are cigarette smokers.[*]As with cigarette smoking, hookah smoking is linked to lung and oral cancers, heart disease and other serious illnesses.[*]Hookah smoking delivers about the same amount of nicotine as cigarette smoking does, possibly leading to tobacco dependence.[*]Hookah smoke poses dangers associated with secondhand smoke.[*]Hookah smoking by pregnant women can result in low birth weight babies.[*]Hookah pipes used in hookah bars and cafes may not be cleaned properly, risking the spread of infectious diseases.[/LIST]
Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/an01265

For what it's worth -- and I smoke both -- my initial instinct is to say cigs are worse, but when you think about how much you're smoking because it's so damn good.... doesn't seem too reassuring.

To each their own!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:12 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest2ko View Post
Yahoo recently headlined a study carried out by the Mayo Clinic (pretty damn reputable, I'd say) so I just thought I'd paste it here.

!

LMAO thanks man i needed this to laugh at!!!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM
dest2ko
Hookah Nut

LOL!
ROFL!

Doctors. What a feeble profession.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest2ko View Post

Doctors. What a feeble profession.
Feeble profession indeed when their findings are skewed to portray tobacco in an evil light.
You need to read a bit more about hookah smoking before you start believing what these "experts" are telling you.

check out this link http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18237
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Absolem
Hookah Nut

Ciggs: don't actually have much tobacco in them, it burns which produces a TON of tar, mainly made of carcenogens that are by and large unhealthy for you to begin with.

Shisha: mostly made of tobacco, cooked instead of burned which results in far less tar, mollasses (honey, whatever it is) is actually boiling producing steam and vapor; not smoke. Don't confuse that as "hookah is just a lot of water vapor".
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
hookahwannabpro
Hookah Newbie

ok lets get things straight....
Hookah is not safer then cigs.
they are both not good for your health but here are some facts
most shisha contains around 0.05 nicotin cigs have anywhere from 2.0 to 7.5 of nicotin they also contain tar shisha does not depending on the type of coals you use like quick lites are very unhealthy from all the chemicals to make it light.
also smoking from a hookah you take in alot of carbon monixcide because of the easy draw also your inhaling metal as the hookah is used and washed the metal starts to break off and you inhale it.

so in reality they are both bad for you.

For me i found that smoking hookah doesnt effect me at the gym as much as smoking cigs
i quit smoking cigs after smoking for 2 years now i only smoke hookah sometimes as often as 3 times a day with a small bowl of 7gs to 15gs

also cigs burn at anywhere from 650 750 degrees F
shisha is around 330 degrees F
so shisha doesnt put out as many chemicals

smoke happy
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:37 PM
dest2ko
Hookah Nut

I've read the article.

Like one user comments, "..and while it does enlighten and inform us of the way he has been silenced by the likes of Globalink and varying publications, he doesn't provide many facts about hookah smoking and how his findings differ from those of the WHO. It seems to be more about how he has been silenced by these people rather than disproving their research with his own."

I actually approve of the article for the most part. I would have much rather had been posted some passages from hard evidence in the included sources rather than a long, NWO'esque feel of the read. Some of the references have some really good data, but I couldn't find 100% of it. In any case, I think *how* you smoke hookah is a lot more relevant than the practice itself. How much, how heavily you burn, how much proper caution you take in cleanliness, etc. are other factors that weren't heavily addressed.

Again I smoke both, so whatever I find more dangerous, well... heh.

For what it's worth, none of the 27 institutes and offices that the NIH (primary Mayo tobacco research benefactor) is comprised of seemed to be condemned by Chaouachi, and the source of that Mayo article researches under huge acknowledgment to the Minnesota tobacco trials.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook