Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Vortex Bowl Help

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 21st, 2010, 09:09 PM
xicetraex
Hookah Aficionado

Default Vortex Bowl Help

So, I got my vortex bowl today, and I'm having issues with it. I was smoking Starbuzz Code 69, and it just wasn't burning right. I was using two coconara coals opposite from eachother, and when I deemed that the bowl was done, I checked the shisha, and the stuff at the top was all burnt, but everything below it was still good... I packed the bowl lightly, almost near the top, and I still got problems. Am I doing something wrong?

I just got my first hookah today, by the way.
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:15 PM
forecastle
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Vortex Bowl Help

I always pack mine to be somewhat "fluffy" which is to say that I do not pack it super dense, try using a small fork to fluff up the tobacco and then settle it back down so that it does not touch the foil/screen. You can do it a few times untill you get comfortable with it . It's a very simple process but I will say this, your almost alwasy going to get some amount of what looks like unused tobacco in the bottom of the bowl (I should say that this often happens to me, i'm sure someone will dis-credit) with most blends, but as long as your letting heat permeate through the whole bowl you will get a much more even (and longer) smoking time out of it. Hope this helps
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:23 PM
xicetraex
Hookah Aficionado

Yeah, dude. That does help, but in that case, I'm thinking about getting a Phunnel.
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:36 PM
forecastle
Hookah Pro

I own both these bowls and while I do like my phunnel I LOVE my vortex, it just seems to give an better smoke and to me is easier to set up. Now, the fun part is this is where people will diverge into two schools a thought as many claim the phunnel and the others claim the vortex(I for one think the vortex will last longer through smoking) . In all reality they are very similar and you may like the phunnel more. I fully support your decision to get both, but I defiantly want to say keep your vortex handy and keep trying it out =)
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:01 AM
EssamHelmy
Hookah Nut

The way I pack mine is sprinkle the tobacco in the bowl "al fakher moassel" just a bit above the holes. You might want to try poking very small and even holes throughout the bowl and use a wind cover as heat management. Also don't force the bowl to heat up. Just put the coals on the outside rim of the bowl, move them around the bowl to get even heat and wait a minute before smoking. If you don't get enough smoke add another coal.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:57 AM
hookahwannabpro
Hookah Newbie

try packing your bowl just at the holes and keep them clear of the shisha. starbuzz is great in this bowl just make sure you break apart the clumps of shisha and sprinkle evenly and you should have a great smoke. what kind of hole pattern are you doing?...I finde the 4 or 5 cirlcles of holes with a push pin works great and when its really cold outside i made my own windcover with foil and a bottle of vodka for shape works wonders

Last edited by hookahwannabpro; May 22nd, 2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
xicetraex
Hookah Aficionado

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try it out tonight.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:44 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Fill up up to the rim kinda losely then push it down just a bit below the rim. Id use 3 coconaras if you have a regular vortex. Not too many holes though probably 20 to 30.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook