Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

using pipe tobacco in a hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:04 PM
AstuteCheese
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to AstuteCheese
Default using pipe tobacco in a hookah

would it be possible to smoke pipe tobacco out of a hookah? im pretty sure that its not as wet as shisha but when shisha dries out you just add a little glycerin to make it come back to life. i also smoke cigars, thats why i posted this thread. and a cigar brand that i like is CAO. they make a pretty good vanilla. and i recently found out that they make vanilla pipe tobacco. anyone have an answer to this?
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:55 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Default Re: using pipe tobacco in a hookah

The answer is no. The way that you pack a western pipe is far different than how you pack a hookah bowl. The tobacco would not smoke properly. Adding glycerin would just ruin the flavor further. Use hookah tobacco in a hookah and pipe tobacco in a western pipe.

Do you smoke actual cigars or just flavored stuff? Bear in mind, I am a fan of flavored cigars once in a while, but vanilla pipe tobacco is very different than both hookah tobacco and any kind of cigars.
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

My friends did this out of my hookah before, do not do it. It ghosts HORRIBLY. I mean days of washing. If you had zag/soft black/khan you could perhaps add a bit of glycerin and add a pinch of the pipe. That might be fun to play around with, but it really something to be light handed with.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:03 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

i've made moassel from black cavendish before, but it's not as easy as just adding glycerin and smoking.

Old May 24th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Sui
Hookah Enthusiast

I smoke plenty of things in my hookahs. Including the occasional pipe tobacco, best way I have found is to use an egyptian bowl...put pipe tobacco in, and hold lighter against it while inhaling through the hose. I will agree that a western pipe is the purpose of most pipe tobacco, but its always fun to try new things!
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:18 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i think some people have figured out recipes based on pipe tobacco but i think they usually rinse it with water a bit along with a lot of other stuff besides just add glycerine

-matt
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Nat-Attack03
Hookah Newbie

Hmm, well my friends and I took our bowl one time and wrapped it in alluminum foil to cover the holes in the bowl and then smoked out of it and it worked pretty good. I would assume that it would work the same with your pipe tobacco, even if it doesn't, it's worth a shot! You'll never know till you try it. Good luck!
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Just get some traditional tobacco if you want that kind of flavor.

Zaghloul, Bata, Super Kass, Salloum plain, or any Desi Murli blend will serve you well.

You also might want to check out Hajo Flettner's thread on making ma'assel. It has a very good recipe that one can work with.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
Just get some traditional tobacco if you want that kind of flavor.

Zaghloul, Bata, Super Kass, Salloum plain, or any Desi Murli blend will serve you well.

You also might want to check out Hajo Flettner's thread on making ma'assel. It has a very good recipe that one can work with.
i believe there are some recipes for making your own shisha tobacco that involve SOME pipe tobacco in the process.. but not a whole lot. If you really want to try some "tobacco" tasting shisha tobacco than Coyotero's suggestions will put you in the right direction.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories View Post
i believe there are some recipes for making your own shisha tobacco that involve SOME pipe tobacco in the process.. but not a whole lot. If you really want to try some "tobacco" tasting shisha tobacco than Coyotero's suggestions will put you in the right direction.
You are correct. Hajo's recipe and several of my own (based on his original posted on this forum, in the homemade section) use several blends of pipe tobacco.

However, the process is quite a bit more complex than than dumping glycerin on it and smoking. It entails adding molasses or honey, mixing, baking, adding more agglutinate, baking, agining, adding more agglutinate and glycerin, baking more, aging more, and then mixing in still more liquid product.

Also, a lot of pipe tobaccos have a corn syrup casing that's best removed before attempting to prepare moassel out of it.

For what it's worth, making your own is a lot of work, but I've found it more rewarding to smoke than 90%+ of tobaccos on the commercial market.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:14 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
You are correct. Hajo's recipe and several of my own (based on his original posted on this forum, in the homemade section) use several blends of pipe tobacco.

However, the process is quite a bit more complex than than dumping glycerin on it and smoking. It entails adding molasses or honey, mixing, baking, adding more agglutinate, baking, agining, adding more agglutinate and glycerin, baking more, aging more, and then mixing in still more liquid product.

Also, a lot of pipe tobaccos have a corn syrup casing that's best removed before attempting to prepare moassel out of it.

For what it's worth, making your own is a lot of work, but I've found it more rewarding to smoke than 90%+ of tobaccos on the commercial market.
Coyo mentioned this post(http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499) there are two methods listed the latter(post 14) is the most recent and has been having the most success. Coyo got it right, there are a lot more steps to making the tobacco rather than just adding glycerin. hope this helps.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I've made a lot of moassel using pipe tobacco and it is indeed a lot of work.The end result is great but it it's like Havana Pipe flavour in that while it's really nice it doesn't taste like Western pipe tobacco. Still, anything that adds real character and complexity to smoke is good. I recall back when I had some working gigs in Iraq I used to hang with some Shabak folks when the opportunity came up and they had a sort of nearly whole leaf that was slightly damp and wrapped into a ball around some very finely cut and moist leaf. They smoked it like tombac and to me it was sort of a mid way point between Western pipe and normal tombac.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook