Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

UTAH tax on Tobbaco

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 26th, 2010, 10:23 AM
sin2001
Hookah Nut

Default UTAH tax on Tobbaco

Ok so the other day I was buying my supply when the Guy said I should consider stocking up. I guess anything Tobbaco here in utah is going to be having an added $1.70 tax hike. Thank god for online. Is this effecting anyone else? Ours starts July 1st
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Kurdles
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: UTAH tax on Tobbaco

"The highest combined state-local tax rate is $4.25 in New York City, with Chicago, IL second at $3.66 per pack".

The link below shows what your State is doing with the tax hike

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/resea...s/pdf/0097.pdf
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Lonelyboy
Hookah Nut

hmm...in sweden the tax for a 250g pack is about 33 $ hmm..so dont be sad over there...:P
sadly this kind of high tax just make the black market full of half decent shisha...and no top of the line shisha sadly..or actually no legal sisha at all..:O
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Kurdles
Hookah Newbie

Unhappy Re: UTAH tax on Tobbaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyboy View Post
hmm...in sweden the tax for a 250g pack is about 33 $ hmm..so dont be sad over there...:P
sadly this kind of high tax just make the black market full of half decent shisha...and no top of the line shisha sadly..or actually no legal sisha at all..:O

$33.00 Holy Crap. I think I would just quit!
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Chas
Hookah Nut

Ontario gets hit with a new harmonized federal and provincial tax on July 1st. Another
useless tax on tax scheme.
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM
sin2001
Hookah Nut

sweet it says its a Cig tax looks like I will quit that and just do the hookah.
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Crown Hookahs
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to Crown Hookahs

Actually, it's pipe tobacco and cigars as well. I also manage a hookah shop here in Salt Lake, UT. currently our OTP tax is 35% (basically, the retailer has to pay an additional 35% of our wholesale cost to the State of Utah.) July 1st, it's going to 86%. Remember everyone complaining about the tobacco prices in Texas? That'll be Utah as well before long.

Also, not long ago Utah passed a law that prohibits the commercial sale of tobacco via state lines, joining the ranks of Montana and Washington.

As a consumer, and as a retailer, this pisses me off. We are closing our cigar humidor because of this. We have one of the most beautiful humidors in Utah, and all that work down the drain. It would actually cost us money just to keep the humidor going. Are you familiar with Jeanies? It's a really top end cigar store, that is closing at the end of June because of the tax. Either that, or have to pay a retroactive floor tax of about $125,000.00 upfront, no payment plans available. All the tobacco on our floor we have to pay the difference between 35% to 86% immediately.
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:47 AM
sin2001
Hookah Nut

no kidding thats BS. Why not focus this tax somewhere else. How about a bigger fast food tax. Now that would make a world of differance.
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Crown Hookahs
Vendor

What's terrible is when Governer Herbert was elected he said there would be NO new taxes at all. Well I guess he kept his promise, when the bill went to his desk he didn't sign it - he just let it default into law. Ie if he doesn't sign it, it's automatically defaulted into law July 1st. So without signing his name, he managed to put several stores out of business. Even though internet sales are prohibited in Utah, people are still going to do it - so all it's essentially doing is harming our local economy here. Instead of pay $22 for a 250g of AF, people will just give the money to other states.
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Crown Hookahs
Vendor

Actually I just did the math - it'll be $28 for a 250g of AF.
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:31 PM
sin2001
Hookah Nut

I agree its the downward spiral for Utah. Like I say instead of Tobacco taxes they should do a Fast food tax. So that people start eating healthy. Leave US ALONE
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:53 PM
faeriekitsune
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to faeriekitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin2001 View Post
I agree its the downward spiral for Utah. Like I say instead of Tobacco taxes they should do a Fast food tax. So that people start eating healthy. Leave US ALONE
Or instead of tobacco taxes, a higher alcohol tax. Or a tax on SUVs and Hummer's. Or a tax on... Oh... wait... They'll never do that. Because big business and politicians love driving their Escalades, eating Mickey D's and going home to a nice big glass of brandy. Damn.
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Mike5Smith
Hookah Newbie

Phoenix, AZ- haven't heard anything
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

I remember reading in history about this group of people who grew so tired of over and unfair taxation (among other politically and politico/religious discriminations) that they up and left the country where they lived and founded a new one where a document, I believe it was called a constitution, was drawn up to protect against just such atrocities against the people by the government. Can't remember exactly where it all took place but it was a pretty big hullaballoo at the time. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Deathtongue
Hookah Nut

I LOVE VIRGINIA!!! I will live here 4ever!!
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:35 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

I swear, the government needs to keep their noses out of my damn business. I don't need the government to "protect" me from tobacco. I'm a big girl. I can make my own choices, thank you very much!

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Porcupinez
Hookah Newbie

Guess people will start looking to the black market in the near future.
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Lonelyboy
Hookah Nut

hmm...hopefully not..in time the black market is full of bad shisha...or old sisha..and fake sisha...as it is in sweden...:S hmm..as it is now i am willing to pay to get the real thing..even with the shipping cost that isnt to cheap...but the weird thing is that even with shipping is cheaper for me to buy from the us then to buy from the blackmarket over here...so my word to all americans...dont be to sad...you at least have the option of buying legal shisha still..
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:39 AM
iMaD
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Hookahs View Post
Actually, it's pipe tobacco and cigars as well. I also manage a hookah shop here in Salt Lake, UT. currently our OTP tax is 35% (basically, the retailer has to pay an additional 35% of our wholesale cost to the State of Utah.) July 1st, it's going to 86%. Remember everyone complaining about the tobacco prices in Texas? That'll be Utah as well before long.

Also, not long ago Utah passed a law that prohibits the commercial sale of tobacco via state lines, joining the ranks of Montana and Washington.

As a consumer, and as a retailer, this pisses me off. We are closing our cigar humidor because of this. We have one of the most beautiful humidors in Utah, and all that work down the drain. It would actually cost us money just to keep the humidor going. Are you familiar with Jeanies? It's a really top end cigar store, that is closing at the end of June because of the tax. Either that, or have to pay a retroactive floor tax of about $125,000.00 upfront, no payment plans available. All the tobacco on our floor we have to pay the difference between 35% to 86% immediately.
This tax thing is catching on and looks like other states and perhaps the federal government are going that way soon. Here in Illinois they call "SinTax". Easy to raise taxes on tobacco, alcohol, gambling....since it will not be opposed by many people. The thing is it alwyas almost hit the lower in people who can afford it the leasr. Every state is running a huge defecit becuase they have costs that are spiraling out of control mainly due to public sector entitlements (i.e healthcare, pensions....) which they refuse to cut so huge tax increases are in our future. In the mean time, states like Illinois and recently Michigan passed laws that prohibit smoking and cigs and hookah in estabishments that also serve food and liquor, this includes bars and night clubs, which caused many places to shut down and go out of business at a time when the state is desperate for tax collection.
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:42 AM
iMaD
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty62 View Post
I remember reading in history about this group of people who grew so tired of over and unfair taxation (among other politically and politico/religious discriminations) that they up and left the country where they lived and founded a new one where a document, I believe it was called a constitution, was drawn up to protect against just such atrocities against the people by the government. Can't remember exactly where it all took place but it was a pretty big hullaballoo at the time. Smoke happy.

dus'
Welcome to the USSA. The American people deserve it. They voted for these crooks and they have to live with it.
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Shirtless7
Hookah Nut

Here in AZ we had a school system that was failing because of a budget crisis, and our Police force that would have to lay off multiple officers for budget reasons as well. I was sure they would start taxing tobacco, but instead they had us vote on Prop 100, which was a 1 cent increase on sales tax for about 3 years.

Of course it passed and our schools didn't have to lay off multiple teachers. The point is there is a better way to raise funds than to push small business owners out of the market just becasuse they sell tobacco.
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

dear utah government,
please consider taxing multiple marriages instead of tobacco
thank you,
-Ariberns
Share with your friends on facebook