Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah Bar Flavors

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 29th, 2010, 02:10 AM
EvanW
Hookah Nut

Default Hookah Bar Flavors

I just got back from my neighborhood hookah bar with a bunch of friends, and I have the same problem every time I go:

EVERYTHING TASTES THE SAME

Is that a common problem with you guys, or am I just unable to taste anything except for mint

I tried margarita, and instead of tasting good it tasted like a mouthful of nothing, a jumbling of flavors that resembled NO food or drink on Earth.

Are Hookah bars just for fun, and not flavor then? I've been to a few where this is NOT the case, but mostly it seems that flavors blend in their non-washable hoses.
Old May 29th, 2010, 02:13 AM
trptguy007
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Hookah Bar Flavors

the local one near me has seperate hookahs for the different flavors. this helps a ton with the ghosting effect.
Old May 29th, 2010, 02:14 AM
EvanW
Hookah Nut

I know for a fact that the one I smoke at does NOT have separate hookahs. This would be a huge part of the problem I imagine.
Old May 29th, 2010, 02:52 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Yep seperate hookahs, mostly if they are not using washable hoses
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

When I worked at a local lounge here, I introduced the owner and workers to concept of washing the pipes. They were perplexed and amazed.

Think about that next time you want to go to a lounge.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old May 29th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Geolas
Hookah Newbie

There is a lot to factor in. If they use non-washable hoses, are they separating the hoses for each flavor? Brand of the shisha, they usually have different tiers, regular, premium, or specials. Type of tobacco. Most hookahs bars in NYC for "regular" they use al-fahker. And their premium lines would be Starbuzz. But that will change base on how up-scale the place is trying to be. Or it could be the way they are packing the bowl (which leads back to type of brand)?

Whenever i go to a Hookah Bar, i never settle for regular or even just starbuzz. I always go for the fruit bowls. Cause i can never do that at home, and why go out listen to music and smoke when you can do the same at home for a fraction of the cost.

Unless they got the belly dancers going or some live entertainment going on.
Old May 29th, 2010, 04:20 AM
inhalexhale
Hookah Nut

The hookah bar near me likes to mix like 5 flavors in one bowl, its ridiculous (in a bad way)! I dont think the same things going on here, but just saying
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:04 PM
eradikater
Hookah Nut

I can always taste each flavor every time I go, and I know he uses non-washable hoses so I'm not sure whats going on at the hookah lounge you're talking about. I can smoke a bowl of straight mint, and then get a refill with a new flavor and be able taste the new flavor instantly.
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:12 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

refill without changing hookahs? almost all the hookah bars i've been to offer cheaper refills -- of the same flavor -- because they use separate hookahs and hoses for differing flavors. i don't even go from [mint, coconut, earl grey, lemon] at home to a different flavor without washing everything because of the ghosting.
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:12 PM
03rivers
Hookah Nut

I have the same problem at a lounge near me. I believe there are several factors, they use 3 kings coals, egyptian bowls but with some very strange pack that makes it burn oddly, way way too much air, cheap hoses. All these things cause a lack of flavor but the main one for me is too much air I think
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:21 PM
eradikater
Hookah Nut

I don't really want to waste my money on a refill of the same flavor, and like I said, no ghosting, I taste the flavor I get, nothing else.
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:43 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

huh... though i don't frequent hookah bars, i can't see how getting a refill of the same flavor is a waste of money (beyond the fact that going to a hookah bar is a waste of money when you can smoke at home for week for less than you spend on one bowl at a bar). assuming you liked the first bowl, you'll probably enjoy the second one just as much. if i order a beer from the bar, i'll likely get another of the same when i finish the first, i really don't feel the need to try them all
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Nat-Attack03
Hookah Newbie

I can always taste each different flavor, some will always over power others, but I don't seem to have that problem, maybe it's the hookah bar you're going to?
Old May 29th, 2010, 06:07 PM
eradikater
Hookah Nut

Well I do like to try them them all, and since I dont have a lot of shisha, I want to smoke my favorite flavors when I go to the hookah bar so I will never stick to the same flavor twice.
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Chas
Hookah Nut

Local bars offer herbal shisha only due to the smoking laws. I have never liked herbal.
And the food served is not all that great. So I avoid the hookah bars.
Old May 29th, 2010, 10:47 PM
trptguy007
Hookah Nut

i dunno. hookah bars are pretty much past the following of this particular group of people on this site for the most part. i mean, they are fun to go to with friends I guess, but for a quality smoke, i think about everyone here would stay home. its like they say, if you want it done right, do it yourself.
Old May 29th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Jameson
Hookah Newbie

I actually love going to the local hookah bar ive become great friends with the owner and he lets me bring my own hookah in, use my own shisha and coals at no cost, so I rarely smoke out of their hookahs. Although the times that I have I completely know where your coming from, every flavor tastes the same, except for the very strong flavors like mint. They even use nammor hoses! but I always go back into the back where they make everything and I know for a fact that they never clean out their hoses or even blow them out after each use. I think it depends mostly on management, but the ghosting effect will definitely be present in any hookah bar.
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:40 AM
andrew21091
Hookah Newbie

I've never had that problem going to the hookah bar in my city. The shisha they use in their pipes is Starbuzz shisha and they also have their own flavors as well and they all taste like they should. Going to the bar has turned me on to buying some of the flavors that they use (such as blueberry and blue mist which are two of my favorites) since I really enjoyed the flavors of them. The only problem that I have with the local hookah lounge is the music thats played since they have a jukebox so anyone can put on what they want and most of the time it is really annoying music and in my opinion takes away some of the relaxing atmosphere when smoking hookah. The flavors are always good there.
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:36 PM
sin2001
Hookah Nut

I noticed it at one of our local hookah bars I went in and tried it and noticed that the flavor sucked, a jumble of everything, I walked away due to the fact I saw the water in the vase it was nasty. Couldn't relax while thinking of how much herpes were swimming around in the water and hose.
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM
EvanW
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin2001 View Post
I noticed it at one of our local hookah bars I went in and tried it and noticed that the flavor sucked, a jumble of everything, I walked away due to the fact I saw the water in the vase it was nasty. Couldn't relax while thinking of how much herpes were swimming around in the water and hose.
Good to know that I'm not alone in my assumptions about hookah bars.

Thanks guys!
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:08 PM
MGHookah
Hookah Nut

that happens to me all the time, the hookah bar uses the same hoses with the same hookah for all flavors, it tastes the same at the hookah bar but if i do it at home i can get the specific taste, its not you, its just the hookah bar
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook