Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Several KM Questions

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 1st, 2010, 11:46 PM
ripjoestrummer
Hookah Newbie

Unhappy Several KM Questions

I recently bought a KM 22" Heart of Lion- http://www.hookahstore.com/hookahs-k...kah-p-315.html
and I've had some odd problems with it. The stem of the hookah doesn't really sit nicely, the grommet makes a good seal, but the metal part of the hookah moves around really easily when we pass the hose around. It moves so much I can't actually use the hose that came with it, because the large wooden piece that hooks up to the stem makes it bend too far. I usually run water of the grommet because I heard that makes a better seal, but I've done it with and without water and had the same problem. My only thought is that I could pull the grommet up a little further in hopes of...something else happening.
Secondly, the smoke really isn't very...cool. I fill the base with as much ice as possible, but the smoke is not nearly as cold as we can get in the free mya hookah that comes with 100 dollar orders from hookah-shisha that my friend has. Why is this? If it makes any difference, I'm using a nammor hose.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:21 AM
jvminner
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Several KM Questions

I would suggest some silicon grommets. Buy a few and just layer them until you get a good seal. The stem should then sit flush with the base hopefully eliminating the wobble.
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-6295-...e-Grommet.html
Those are the grommets I am talking about.

For the "coolness", could be many things, mainly your setup as far as packing and heat management. If this is your first personal rig you'll probably have to experiment with different tobaccos and coals. Every tobacco has it's own characteristics and heat tolerance. It can be frustrating but it's mainly trial and error. You'll find what works for you. I'd look through some of the videos and see if you can find any tips. Just keep with it.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:44 AM
DiS oNe GuY
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DiS oNe GuY

To really cool down my base, I added ice in the base with water and then put the base in a small ice cooler that is filled with ice. But eventually the water in the base started to become into ice ): it was a good experience though, it wasn't a huge difference in "coolness" but it was something. You can try that
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:13 AM
Geolas
Hookah Newbie

KM's are hand made. So every KM needs to be custom fitted a bit. I am sure you can go to a local hardware store and get the right fittings you need. But if you arent you can follow what jvminner suggest.

For cooler smoke? I am not a KM expert, but i would think it would be because the KM has a wider down stem then a MYA. I am going to assume the travel "time" of the smoke is not going to change. So there is more smoke and the time spent in the ice water is not enough time to cool it down.

I suggest get a Diffuser. It breaks the smoke into smaller particles, which will cool faster because there is more surface area.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:57 AM
Jessica
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to Jessica Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica Send a message via Skype™ to Jessica

diffusers make a big difference...i had grommet issues with my KM i ended up having to sand it down... I have a trophy ice cup chiller...I use the ice cup... then i add in some ice into the base...and when i know its going to be a long session i have invested in those blue gel packs for the freezer i tie on a few of those around the base to keep it colder longer... good luck!

All hail the mighty FSM!!!!
I am who I am without regret or apology.
Your judgement and criticism will be ignored
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
uk_shisha_king
Hookah Nut

I would say use electrical tape on the grommets, hose, etc, if its loose. Helps alot and the silicon grommets are good
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:10 AM
Party_Clown
Hookah Nut

The way that I fix wobble on my hookahs is that I take the grommets off and then wrap black electrical tape around the place the grommet came off of to add some thickness to it and then put the grommet back on it and if it is wobbling from one area or another you can put more tape on that area.

As for it being hot it most likely has to do just with heat management and the way that you are packing the bowl (though a diffuser does cool things down nicely). My Km is very cool as are the ones my friends own.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party_Clown View Post
The way that I fix wobble on my hookahs is that I take the grommets off and then wrap black electrical tape around the place the grommet came off of to add some thickness to it and then put the grommet back on it and if it is wobbling from one area or another you can put more tape on that area.

As for it being hot it most likely has to do just with heat management and the way that you are packing the bowl (though a diffuser does cool things down nicely). My Km is very cool as are the ones my friends own.
This.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Geolas
Hookah Newbie

I hardly think its a problem in heat management. Heat management is to control the harshness of the smoke. If the bowl is that hot that needs any heat management, then the smoke would be dense and harsh. Which is not the case.

Use the Black Electric tape for a temporary fix. You have a KM. You should fix it the proper way and get a fitted grommet. Also get a diffuser that should help cool the smoked down.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:14 PM
ripjoestrummer
Hookah Newbie

I use a diffuser. I just find it odd that a taller KM with a diffuser produces very significantly warmer smoke than the mya with the same tobacco and no diffuser. I'll try the electrical tape idea though, thanks guys.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:44 PM
Geolas
Hookah Newbie

Well lets fix the wobbly issue first. It might even solve your warmer smoke issue too.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook