Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Bad exoticas

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Default Re: Bad exoticas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dux
I got it from MNH, contacted them and they said they would check their supply in case they have anymore, but they might have no more like I said 1 out of the 4 I received was bad, so it could of been one of the last few around.
That is great news actually! It is good to know that they are taking the initiative to check their current supply. Once it is all resolved, people can go back to enjoying these coals without worry of accidentally receiving a bad coal!

Thanks for the heads up and information Frank Dux

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:05 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

There is always the possibility they could just go bad by absorbing too much moisture, that is what coals do best other than burn.

I got a new box sent to me from Gabe and they are great; smell when lighting and smell/taste when 3/4 burned, but that's been normal for Exoticas in my experience. While they are in their prime burning stage they are perfect.

People will randomly get bad batches of coals, and i do think they should be compensated. Some are visibly bad without burning, some are visibly bad while burning. There will always be that smell when lighting, and maybe only I notice the taste when they are 75% done (or i'm just that lucky).

If you want perfect burning coals (only they smell bad when lighting and give off visible fumes) then get Golden QL or 3K's. Or some Jap coals. Maybe Natural coals aren't for you. I am debating that right now.
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to larrypzlast

Perhaps since FD lives overseas the coals could've picked up some moisture during shipping across the Atlantic? That would certainly catalyze the growth of mildew on those coals. Just a theory. As for the white stuff the bottom of my sticks have a white powder-like subtance that doesn't have a smell (its the binding). I got my exoticas from Mahir and they rock .
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypzlast
Perhaps since FD lives overseas the coals could've picked up some moisture during shipping across the Atlantic? That would certainly catalyze the growth of mildew on those coals. Just a theory. As for the white stuff the bottom of my sticks have a white powder-like subtance that doesn't have a smell (its the binding). I got my exoticas from Mahir and they rock .
my first exoticas i got from mahir also! i used one from the top row and it didnt do too good, cracked like dry mud, broke all over my bowl, etc. i was startled by this so i went to the local store to buy another box and compare them. i used a stick from the top row, they did the same. but every stick underneath works like a charm!
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Frank Dux
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Perhaps since FD lives overseas the coals could've picked up some moisture during shipping across the Atlantic?
That was a first thought, but the other 2 in the shipment were fine, and also it took 3 days and goes by plane so they are kept in an air condition cargo hold on fed ex or an American airlines flight, depending on how the APO mail is sent that day.
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Do you know each boxes date of production by any chance? Lets say you get 1 box which is older than the other ones that would've given it time to pick up more moisture. Think that is possible?
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Frank Dux
Hookah Newbie

I agree, which is why i have stated that bad old boxes could still exists or it could be a new one, as far as i can tell no dates on them, which would be a good idea for gabe to put is maybe have the guys in china put dates and batch numbers??
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

It may not even be a bad batch. If a good batch is exposed to moisture long enough to grow mold; then it turns into a bad batch, but in all reality it was a good batch out of the factory
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Frank Dux
Hookah Newbie

Of course, all my intent is to say that one can still get a bad box, but some say that can never happen anymore. It coudl come from manu to distrib, distrib to vendor, vendor to customer, its one reason I think vendors shoudl check them because this way parts of the cycle can be ruled out
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM
larrypzlast
Hookah Enthusiast

Thats good to read. I will always stand by my favorite coals 8)
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:05 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Just for the record, not twenty minutes ago UPS dropped off my order from H-S. In it were 5 boxes of Exoticas. After reading this thread, I opened each box and examined the contents.
They all look just like every other box of Exoticas I have purchased.

No spots
No mold
No funny smells.

Thanks Gabriel!

Old February 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

I got my first set of Exotica's that cracked when cooked - But not always! Sometimes it would crack, other times it would behave. I found a larger piece wouldn't crack, until it was cooked down to half size. They still worked fine, but I couldn't use all the pieces - it overcooked the tobacco.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook