Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

vortex bowl users....

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 5th, 2010, 11:28 AM
lastinterface
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to lastinterface
Default vortex bowl users....

How do you like your Vortex bowl? I've only smoked mine once, just bought it yesterday, and it was an interesting event.

Started out with packing it lightly, with the shisha just above the holes, and just below the top of the spire. Then I put the foil on, with three circles of holes, the first close to the middle, middle in the...middle, and the last one close to the outer rim. Then i placed two quick light Holland Coals (yeah yeah, i know) and after i thought both we're lit, i put my wind-guard on it, and pretty soon the smoke started coming thick and flavorful. pretty good clouds, and it felt like i was biting into a York Peppermint Patty, fucking delicious. About an hour later, the flavor was still strong, but the smoke was pretty much gone, so i figured it was done. Picked up the wind-guard...and one of the coals hadn't even been going, i held a lighter to it for about a minute and it wouldn't light. lovely, it was a dud, and i ended up wasting 3/4 of the shisha i packed(is it reusable?), i wasted that much, and yet the flavor and smoke were wonderful. any tips on what i'm doing wrong as opposed to the dud coal? i'm definitely going to make sure both are lit and going strong next time.

Thank you in advance, fellow hookah smokers
Old June 5th, 2010, 12:35 PM
dabboy
Hookah Nut

Default Re: vortex bowl users....

It seems you already have head it, but I would switch to natural coals, not just because they go for longer and are all around better, but because the coconarahs I have are a nice size so that I can fit three of them on the vortex, which i think heats all of the shisha more evenly. That might be the problem, unless you got just the top layer of the shisha, in which case you just need to re-coal. When I used quick lights I usually re-coaled at least once during the smoke sesh.

Basically: re-coal and the smoke will come back, quick light's don't last long enough for one coal.
Old June 5th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Yeah you go it. On heavier packs user your tongs to push the tobacco away from the holes a little bit. Clean out the holes every session. Get better coals
Old June 5th, 2010, 12:54 PM
mattxhand
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to mattxhand

Both of you guys stole the words out of my mouth. Pretty much do exactly what they just said and you'll be in business.
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM
lastinterface
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to lastinterface

sounds perty good, once i can, i'ma start using naturals, but for now that isn't really an option
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:21 PM
End3r
Hookah Nut

I've found the difference the vortex makes is more in flavor, rather than thickness of smoke.

As mentioned previously, re-coal/buy some coco naras (yes, they're that good).
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:25 PM
rideordie81
Hookah Master

what they said. cocos are definately the way to go. and it is made quite obvious as they are preached on this site
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Nat-Attack03
Hookah Newbie

I love the one I use
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:45 PM
alanpeterson68
Hookah Aficionado

I like to pack mine a bit tighter than that, but thats just my personal preference. I start out by placing tobacco all around the bowl until I get it up to the holes. Then I use my hand to smush/pack it down rather tight. Then I sprinkle more tobacco up till just below the rim. I pack less around the spire and more around the edge of the bowl. I found that this lets the bowl breath better. This method works really well for tobacco that is more dry like Nak.
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Party_Clown
Hookah Nut

I love my vortex bowl, don't really use anything else. The way I pack mine is just grab some shisha and sprinkle it around the bowl and foil and good to go. Nothing special, but it works for me.
Old June 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM
alanpeterson68
Hookah Aficionado

I love this bowl and it has definitely changed how I smoke. I will always have a vortex bowl in my rotation.
Old June 5th, 2010, 07:19 PM
End3r
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpeterson68 View Post
I like to pack mine a bit tighter than that, but thats just my personal preference. I start out by placing tobacco all around the bowl until I get it up to the holes. Then I use my hand to smush/pack it down rather tight. Then I sprinkle more tobacco up till just below the rim. I pack less around the spire and more around the edge of the bowl. I found that this lets the bowl breath better. This method works really well for tobacco that is more dry like Nak.
I've found that packing down wetter tobacco leaves a lot of unused tobacco at the bottom after I've finished. It all clumps in a glob there if I don't keep it nice and airy. Have yet to try a dry tobacco brand.
Old June 5th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Ble3dth3freak
Hookah Pro

Only purpose my vortex serves is to smoke layalina which is very very wet stuff. Other than that, Nakhla, Al Fakher, Starbuzz will always be nice and comfy in my Egyptian.
Old June 5th, 2010, 09:14 PM
alanpeterson68
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ble3dth3freak View Post
Only purpose my vortex serves is to smoke layalina which is very very wet stuff. Other than that, Nakhla, Al Fakher, Starbuzz will always be nice and comfy in my Egyptian.
are you saying that sb is less wet thatn layalina? Humm wow I'v had both and I always that that sb was more wet that layalina. just an observation
Old June 5th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Ble3dth3freak
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpeterson68 View Post
are you saying that sb is less wet thatn layalina? Humm wow I'v had both and I always that that sb was more wet that layalina. just an observation
I've only ever had 2 250g tubs of SB Blue Mist and yes they were indeed very dry. I thought it strange also seeing as how everyone always says SB is very wet but those two batches just weren't. Still smoked good so I can't say they were bad batches.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook