Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Need help with Hookah!!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 8th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Viero
Hookah Newbie

Default Need help with Hookah!!

Hey everybody,
I'm new here and I need some help. My old roommate moved out a while back and left me with his 27" 4 hose hookah. I've only used it once but my interest has sparked up once again for it. It's been sitting there for a while and I've been wanting to clean it, but I'm not quite sure how to take it apart and I don't know how to put it back together once I'm done cleaning. I also don't want to damage it or anything. Is there a proper way to clean it? Also, how much would a hookah such as mine run for? There is a hookah lounge in town that is interested in buying from me and I would like to sell it for a reasonable amount.
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM
hdwindex
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Need help with Hookah!!

a picture would help, but makes sure the hose is washabel if not then dont wash the hose. but if i had to geuss can range from 120 to 170 matter if its an egyptian ,mya or some generic chinese rig
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Party_Clown
Hookah Nut

Yeah a pic of it would help us do both in appraising it and telling you the best way to clean it.
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:48 PM
starbuzzin33
Hookah Newbie

Also if I were you I would go ahead and sell it to the hookah bar....unless you plan to smoke with a bunch of people all the time a 4 hose hookah is not very practical when smoking by yourself...
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM
rideordie81
Hookah Master

i agree, a picture would be nice. id say a price range from 80-200 depending if its like a km or something similar or some Chinese plastic piece of crap.
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Viero
Hookah Newbie

Ok I posted up some pictures on my profile. My old roommate is in the Air Force and he told me that he had gotten it from the middle east, I don't know if that would add any value to it.
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:08 PM
TampaJason913
Hookah Nut

i believe thats a mya. definitely worth a good amount of money. lucky s.o.b.
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:09 PM
End3r
Hookah Nut

Stem looks like a Mya Gyro: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-1744-...se-hookah.html
Base looks like a Mya Colossus: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-1736-...se-hookah.html

Although it could just be a Colossus with some stem segments removed.

Either way, a very nice setup indeed!

Last edited by End3r; June 8th, 2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Cadrian
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Cadrian

Heres a pic from the Profile....
It doesnt look Middle Eastern at all, it looks like its got the Modern type hose adapters. Someone with more knowledge will probably chime in on what brand it could be. Am not expert but it looks mya.

Defiantly could get some good smoke out of it just from looking at it.

Heres an Old How To..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_BCJ1xOQTE
Heres a How to clean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvqnpUcEJ-8
Part II on how to clean.... http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=VRJp0DUUY&feature=channel
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Viero
Hookah Newbie

Thanks everybody for the help. The site End3r posted of the Mya says it's worth $209.95, should I sell it at $200? It's been used so I'm not sure.
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Looks like a Mya style Chinese hookah. Easy to clean as all the parts unscrew from each other. The top unscrews from the stem ( the decorative parts on the outside come off, I'm sure), the stem from the heat (where the hoses go) and the downstem (goes into the base). You'll need a small bottleor tube brush to clean the insides of the stem. Cleaning brushes are available at any of the vendors listed here on HP.

The hoses look to be Mitsuba brand which are unwashable. If they're old, it'd best to just toss 'em. Brands like Nammor and Razan are washable and have a good reputation.
As for value, couldn't say. Used Chinese hookahs normally don't carry much of a premium. But it looks nice and probably smokes good, so I'd say keep it.

Old June 8th, 2010, 06:36 PM
TampaJason913
Hookah Nut

keep it man... you got treasure when most wouldve gotten trash from an old roommate
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM
fatdom22
Hookah Nut

nice roommate!
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:10 AM
mvillan1
Hookah Nut

if you dont want it i will take it haha
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:34 AM
trptguy007
Hookah Nut

keep it, unless the hookah bar offers you like 200 for it or something crazy. as for the multiple hoses, pick up some plugs for when you use it by yourself. you might as well get some when you get a new hose for yourself. Good roommate though, mine just left me a big pile of clothes he didn't want and an empty box of condoms....asshole.
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Ahildebrand13
Hookah Nut

Thats a really sweet looking rig I would definitely keep it. If you want a more convenient hookah pick up a mini MYA or something, use that for parties
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Maxwell314
Hookah Newbie

At first glance I would definitely be convinced that it was a MYA, but then again I've seen some similar hookahs in the hookah shop the differences being that they weren't of as high of a polish, and generally not as highly finished. But I've only seen that type of ornate covering on a MYA. Look for some MYA stampings because they use specific grommet sizing/design I believe.

Call and thank your old roommate it looks like a nice rig.

But as far as what to do.. I would first get all new hoses. Those synthetic leather hoses have metal winding on the inside to keep shape which also rusts very easily and might pull through with the smoke. The tips are chromed and the metal can start flaking from the inside (so even if you don't see it flaking). I would order new ones online to avoid cheap Chinese parts from a hookah shop, and getting reamed in the mean time. The Nammor would be a great choice, but lotsa $$, so shop for it, or just come back to us with how much you want to spend i guess.
Second I would replace all of the grommets depending on how long it's been. If it's been a year you might be fine but more like 2-3 years replace them all. Base, bowl, and hose grommets.
Check the inside of the hose adapters (all 4) for rusted ball bearings. If they are pull them out, get some new ones (not from a hookah vendor, for the same price you can buy 100s of the best suited stainless steel, check amazon).
Clean everything pretty thoroughly, the residue left over from the shisha probably attracted a good amount of shit from the air. There are guides to making a pipe cleaner out of a scrubbing pad (Scotch makes some) and a hanger. As far as the base I've found that you can even just stick a paper towel or two in there with soapy water and give it a vigorous swish (dont let it slip though) and the paper towel comes out fairly easy. It should be pretty easy to tear down to clean as well..
Obviously get some new shisha, the old stuff is probably pretty gross.
Lastly, moisture in the air can get to coal so you might want some new stuff. I think people have guides on how to cook the moisture out of coals like Coconara, but starting new might just be easier.

The guides might have some better advice, but I guess these might just be some easy bullet points. Everything leads me to believe it is a MYA because of the color coordination, hose choice, style of the stem, and even the base.
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:45 PM
ObsoleteE
Hookah Nut

Ive got that same base, its def mya.
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:49 PM
ACFS
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post

its a Mya Econogon Base. Danny and I decided to order one and vase is just like that in the picture, only in blue
Old June 10th, 2010, 02:56 AM
SmokeyTheBaer
Hookah Nut

dont sell it smoke out of it!!
Old June 10th, 2010, 02:58 AM
muck4doo
Hookah Nut

Looks like a Mya Gyro to me.
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:43 AM
sharpy_77
Hookah Nut

looks pretty sweet.. id say keep it as well.. also the new hoses idea is good.. you dont want rust chip flying into your mouth when you smoke..

if you can get 200 id sell, if not.. just keep the thing.. looks cool as decoration if your not going to smoke from it.

sm0ke Ez
Old June 10th, 2010, 09:36 AM
AralVorkosigan
Hookah Nut

Shit man, i would keep that beautifull pipe. if you can sell it for 200, why not invest a little more into it, say like 50 buck for new parts and a hose or two, and just enjoy a top notch hookah. save yourself 200 bucks in the future.
Share with your friends on facebook