Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Phunnel bowl jumps off the top of KM

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 10th, 2010, 05:14 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

Angry Phunnel bowl jumps off the top of KM

TWICE!

so, about a week ago, i got my new KM carnival, and i love it, but for the fact that the male adapter for the bowl is so tall and just overall huge. the bowl gasket that came with the hookah not only did not fit the egyptian bowl, but absolutely would not work with the phunnel. w/e... this seems to be a common trend. so, i went through all the other gaskets in the house, and found one old gasket, so old that where it used to be translucent and flexible, it is now completely brown and almost rigid. cleaned it up a little, put it on, pushed the bowl on as hard as i felt like i could without the threat of damaging anything, and everything seemed to be OK... until about 20 minutes into the third session (over the course of 3 days, we had two awesome and completely problem free sessions, then this one), we noticed the comically tall bowl had started to lean just a little. straightened it out, and everything was fine for about 5 minutes. i guess once the gasket got good and warm, it became not-so-rigid, and couldn't hold up the bowl any more. no idea why this took 2.5 sessions to present itself, but so be it. so now, i'm repositioning the bowl every 5 minutes for the rest of the session. until i got distracted and forgot one time. boom, crash, sizzle -- the bowl has ejected itself from the hookah and now 3 hot coals are eating their way through the carpet. yay!

so, that was now my good gasket, it worked for my other bowls (maybe just because they aren't so tall and top heavy. used it with a small egyptian bowl, 1 coco, and a windcover. melted the fuckin gasket... completely. took me almost 5 minutes to seperate the bowl from the hookah. did not see that one coming.

so, two days later, feeling (idiotically) brave, i tried out the phunnel again, with a different gasket that i thought would hold it just fine. when it was cold, the hold was so solid that i picked the hookah up (only about .5") off the floor by holding only the bowl. good to go, right? nope. this time, same results, but the windcover was on, so there was way more noise, but no carpet burns.

i've got hole pattern and heat management down... apparently my next challenge is keeping the bowl on top of the hookah... something so seemingly simple it had never occurred to me that there was a potential problem there.

next, with an empty bowl, i tried to concoct my own gasket. wetted paper towel was no match for wobbly bowl. couple of strips of aluminum foil wrapped around the stem, pushed the bowl on, another tight wrap seemed to seal it decently, but not really to my liking, and i wasn't really confident in its structural integrity... gave up for the night.

went by my local tobacconist today, looking for a good grommet. i think i found one. i didn't have any cash on me, and he doesn't run cards for purchases under $10, so he gave it to me and i owe him a buck next time i come in. gotta love good local vendors. just finished a full session with no repositioning, and no accidents. But... it was just me smoking, so no passing the hose around and no other people thumping around the room.

i think the next step is a diffuser to quiet the bubbles a little. less vibrations should help, i think. if that fails, i'm givin up on the gasket and goin for PTFE tape.
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:23 PM
tomknotts
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Phunnel bowl jumps off the top of KM

I have a carnival and have never had a problem like that... but i do smoke outside on a concrette patio... i also have a diffuser... Ill try it out with out the diffuser and let you know...

I hope the new gasket will fix the problem completly
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM
dest2ko
Hookah Nut

I'm assuming your male adapter at the top of the stem is too large for the bowls? Are these standard clay Egyptian bowls? Clay phunnels? Even the inside? That's odd.. Almost sounds like the core of the bowls are made of KY Jelly :P I've never seen one do this before. I'll take a look at the stems on those models. With tons of heat, a rubbery or the like material should expand into its environment and thereby secure the air seal even more, no? At least when you're not moving it, that is... Hrm.. The male side must be really really big to straight up reject it like that

Last edited by dest2ko; June 10th, 2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:02 PM
chewymatingcall
Hookah Pro

Actually if its leaning it is probably too small. Double (triple) up grommets and see what happens
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:28 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

get a mod bowl grommet
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:55 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
get a mod bowl grommet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymatingcall View Post
Actually if its leaning it is probably too small. Double (triple) up grommets and see what happens
good thoughts, but i need something in the opposite direction, more like an ultra-thin grommet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest2ko View Post
I'm assuming your male adapter at the top of the stem is too large for the bowls? Are these standard clay Egyptian bowls? Clay phunnels? Even the inside? That's odd.. Almost sounds like the core of the bowls are made of KY Jelly :P I've never seen one do this before. I'll take a look at the stems on those models. With tons of heat, a rubbery or the like material should expand into its environment and thereby secure the air seal even more, no? At least when you're not moving it, that is... Hrm.. The male side must be really really big to straight up reject it like that
the adapter fits into the bowls with no grommet, but the bowl wobbles a little and doesn't seal enough for my liking. i have 4 different bowls: 2 standard eqyptians, one small egyptian, and a phunnel (medium? it's about 5" tall i guess, maybe 2.5-3" across the top). all are glazed clay i think the problem was that the gasket was too thick, so i couldn't get the gasket and bowl all the way down, just to a "wedging" point. [my mya grommet was actually so thick and squishy that when you pushed the bowl down, it'd actually spring back into your hands.] once it got good and hot, the portion above the tip of the stem sagged downward and inward a little (that'd be how i melted a gasket using my tiny eqyptian bowl) and allowed the bowl to move. the hookah's not moving except for the vibration made from bubbling.

so far, so good with the new egyptian gasket. i think i'm going to buy several of them so i have them handy and maybe i'll try sanding/shaving one down a couple mil and see if i can't get a better fit.
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:52 AM
hubertee2004
Banned

Egyptian Head grommet works the best from what I've seen, also the old arabic way that I will not share ;-) works very well!
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:22 AM
rideordie81
Hookah Master

id try the mya bowl grommet. it always works for me
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:52 AM
dest2ko
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymatingcall View Post
Yeah that's what I was thinking at first, too. Just didnt understand the bowl launching. lol
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

I've had the exact same effect using mod grommets (white thick ones), I'm using the thin silicone grommets on mine, like this (the egyptian one):

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-6287-...-grommets.html

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old June 11th, 2010, 12:40 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGram View Post
I've had the exact same effect using mod grommets (white thick ones), I'm using the thin silicone grommets on mine, like this (the egyptian one):
that's what i got now... and it seems to be doing just fine. i think my old one was just too old.
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM
sharpy_77
Hookah Nut

If the grommet thing doesnt work out for you.. try a layer of electrical tape.. it grips well and its thin.. you can add as many layers of electrical tape as needed..

hope that helps.

sm0ke Ez.
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:54 AM
SmokeyTheBaer
Hookah Nut

electrical tape seems like a good plan
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook