Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

hookah and money

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 11th, 2010, 03:12 PM
801smokey
Hookah Nut

Default hookah and money

lately I have been taking my hookah to a lot of parties and have started to notice me and my partner in crime, are the only one kicking in for shisha. how do you guys handle paying for it? like do you have people kick in a few bucks or what? any ideas are greatly appreciated becuase we spend about 5 bucks for a 50 gram box and that lasts 1 night maybe 2.

thanks!
Old June 11th, 2010, 03:43 PM
brybry642
Hookah Nut

Default Re: hookah and money

I treat...always. Are your friends not worth $10?
Old June 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

I generally just cover it. maybe a friend and i will go in on something if we have to get something in a particular. Occasionally people offer a few bucks here and there. I do understand you though. Once in a while its fine to treat it, but when it happens regularly and people are always requesting a different flavor it gets a bit overbearing lol. If it gets to be a problem, tell a mini fib(or not :/) and say you have no cash to spare and are out at the moment, so if they want to smoke hookah they gotta buy the shisha/coals. if you can get other people to buy everything one night every 4 or 5 sessions id consider that a win.

best of luck, I know its a happy medium that people get pissy about but its something you gotta address if its bothering you to much, I get in the occasional "Im getting screwed" funk so i hear ya
Old June 11th, 2010, 03:52 PM
801smokey
Hookah Nut

they totally are....its just been ten bucks a day for like three weeks straight. we smoke pretty much daily.
Old June 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Jhawks240
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brybry642 View Post
Not everyone has enough money to treat their friends everytime. I also get stuck with all of the costs, considering I am the only one with a hookah in my group. So I usually buy 600-800 grams every month for my friends and I. But when you rely on other friends to get shisha and coals, they get SHITTY Al Fakher and horrible quick lights.
801smokey
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brybry642 View Post
they totally are but we smoke pretty much every day. so ten bucks a day for like three weeks straight has been a little cost heavy.
Jhawks240
Hookah Nut

Just buy it in bulk online, and then split the cost up between them.
Old June 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM
801smokey
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawks240 View Post
Just buy it in bulk online, and then split the cost up between them.
good idea thanks
Old June 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

If I bring my pipe somewhere, I assume that I'm going to be bankrolling the night's festivities in regards to smoking.

If I do not have enough supplies or enough money to restock, I leave my pipe at home, simple as that.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old June 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

yea thats probably the best way to do it. be like "Im having a bit of trouble covering all the costs, so wanna go in a bunch in bulk and just spilt the costs? itll be cheaper." also, depending how much you spend/how many people are going in on it, heres an idea. if you can rack up 70ish/80ish dollars worth of shisha/coals and whatever, have someone pay an extra 20$(or whatever the difference is, that you need to get to 100) and get the free hookah from hookah-shisha.com its a 40$ value so theyd be getting a deal. That way youd be splitting the cost from then on between at least 1 person.

I know 100$ is a lot but if you get 4 people to chip in thats 20 bucks each plus 20 buck extra for the person who wants the hookah. also, 80 dollars worth of shish will last you at least 6 months by the way your smoking. you'd get about 2kilos depending on the brand.
Old June 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

In regards to Coyotero. Thats generally a safe bet. Although it sounds like in this particular case its not necessarily a "once in a while" thing. It sounds like people expect him to bring and provide a hookah, which crosses that boundary a bit i think. it also sounds like its the same people, so if you buy in bulk, they'd be able to enjoy it in the future rather than just 1 night.

This is a lot of assuming, so please correct me if im wrong. I agree with coyotero though. If you choose to bring your pipe on your own, expect to cover all the costs. It'd be like it go over to a friends and bring a nice bottle of single malt scotch and ask for them to go halfsies :/
Old June 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM
801smokey
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerndunch110 View Post
yea thats probably the best way to do it. be like "Im having a bit of trouble covering all the costs, so wanna go in a bunch in bulk and just spilt the costs? itll be cheaper." also, depending how much you spend/how many people are going in on it, heres an idea. if you can rack up 70ish/80ish dollars worth of shisha/coals and whatever, have someone pay an extra 20$(or whatever the difference is, that you need to get to 100) and get the free hookah from hookah-shisha.com its a 40$ value so theyd be getting a deal. That way youd be splitting the cost from then on between at least 1 person.

I know 100$ is a lot but if you get 4 people to chip in thats 20 bucks each plus 20 buck extra for the person who wants the hookah. also, 80 dollars worth of shish will last you at least 6 months by the way your smoking. you'd get about 2kilos depending on the brand.
do they let you get the free hookah twice? I did that about a week ago but with just a little shisha and various new hookah parts, my nammor hoses are almost here!! but yeah I think ill just try spliting the cost with some of the frequent flyers
Old June 11th, 2010, 04:33 PM
801smokey
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerndunch110 View Post
In regards to Coyotero. Thats generally a safe bet. Although it sounds like in this particular case its not necessarily a "once in a while" thing. It sounds like people expect him to bring and provide a hookah, which crosses that boundary a bit i think. it also sounds like its the same people, so if you buy in bulk, they'd be able to enjoy it in the future rather than just 1 night.

This is a lot of assuming, so please correct me if im wrong. I agree with coyotero though. If you choose to bring your pipe on your own, expect to cover all the costs. It'd be like it go over to a friends and bring a nice bottle of single malt scotch and ask for them to go halfsies :/
I agree with him to if that were my situation, but this is a pretty much nightly event with similar people, and then on weekends a few of the same people do ask me to bring it to their parties
Old June 11th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 801smokey View Post
I agree with him to if that were my situation, but this is a pretty much nightly event with similar people, and then on weekends a few of the same people do ask me to bring it to their parties

So what?

If you don't want to supply them, or are having trouble doing so, tell 'em to buy their own damn pipe.

You shouldn't be required or expected to supply their nargilic enjoyment. If it's something you want to provide, then go for it, but you shouldn't be beholden to bring your pipe with you everywhere.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old June 11th, 2010, 04:54 PM
rideordie81
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
So what?

If you don't want to supply them, or are having trouble doing so, tell 'em to buy their own damn pipe.

You shouldn't be required or expected to supply their nargilic enjoyment. If it's something you want to provide, then go for it, but you shouldn't be beholden to bring your pipe with you everywhere.
man i totally feel you on that. if i show up at a friends party the first thing i hear is "man, wheres the hookah?" half the time i tell them if they want it so bad then go get their own. it just gets extremely annoying.
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:11 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

you've set yourself a bad precedent by always coming through with the hookah. i will ask though, is the generosity reciprocal? if its a party, is there food? is there booze?

i don't think i could smoke $10 worth of hookah a day. figure coals are something like 10-20 cent a piece depending on the brand. tobacco varies, but even if you're paying $20 for a 250g, that's still less than $3 for a 35g bowl. that's 3 large bowls a day, every day... i couldn't do it.
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
801smokey
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRpunx14 View Post
you've set yourself a bad precedent by always coming through with the hookah. i will ask though, is the generosity reciprocal? if its a party, is there food? is there booze?

i don't think i could smoke $10 worth of hookah a day. figure coals are something like 10-20 cent a piece depending on the brand. tobacco varies, but even if you're paying $20 for a 250g, that's still less than $3 for a 35g bowl. that's 3 large bowls a day, every day... i couldn't do it.
we havent been buying in 20 dollar 250 g tins weve been buying just 50 g boxes and around 5 bucks a box. it seemed cheaper at the time. but I think for now on im gonna just orfer online. then I can try other brands thatn fantasia, starbuzz and AF
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM
davidcapico
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 801smokey View Post
lately I have been taking my hookah to a lot of parties and have started to notice me and my partner in crime, are the only one kicking in for shisha. how do you guys handle paying for it? like do you have people kick in a few bucks or what? any ideas are greatly appreciated becuase we spend about 5 bucks for a 50 gram box and that lasts 1 night maybe 2.

thanks!
$5.00 sounds like a lot. You should buy from some of Hookah Pro sponsors
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:22 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

^^^ that sux. 25% higher than my worst case scenario guess...get yourself some naklah! as long as you buy enough, shipping becomes negligible. don't forget our vendor discount codes
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
801smokey
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRpunx14 View Post
^^^ that sux. 25% higher than my worst case scenario guess...get yourself some naklah! as long as you buy enough, shipping becomes negligible. don't forget our vendor discount codes
I went to use the vendor discount code for hookah-shisha.com and it said it doesnt work anymore. is there a new list somewhere? because the one I saw was posted in 2007
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM
MikeMo
Hookah Nut

I have dealt with a similar issue and i ended up just reminding my friends of how much hookah costs over time ( like a month of smoking almost everyday). After that they covered my alcohol expenses at parties so it ended up working out fine. you also could alternate who buys the shisha in a round robin method.
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:34 PM
MikeMo
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideordie81 View Post
man i totally feel you on that. if i show up at a friends party the first thing i hear is "man, wheres the hookah?" half the time i tell them if they want it so bad then go get their own. it just gets extremely annoying.

I have also experienced this quite a lot, at some parties ill walk in and just be referred to as the "hookah guy" and if i dont have it with me, they get all disappointed like bringing the hookah is my duty.
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:38 PM
801smokey
Hookah Nut

yea im the hookah kid. and earlier someone asked me if the costs balanced out about food and alchohal and drinks. I dont drink not old enough :/ but wouldnt anyway my liver isnt the healthiest to start hehe. and food, I dont go to parties to have dinner. maybe a hand full of chips but that hardly compares to the amount of shisha we go through.
Old June 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Marco Poko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
If I bring my pipe somewhere, I assume that I'm going to be bankrolling the night's festivities in regards to smoking.

If I do not have enough supplies or enough money to restock, I leave my pipe at home, simple as that.

Well said, that's the way I roll.
Old June 11th, 2010, 07:10 PM
fatdom22
Hookah Nut

for me hookah is a very social thing being in college and all. id rather share a hookah with my friends than smoke it by myself. i rarely smoke by myself. i have come to accept the fact that i am likely to purchase all the goods, occasionally someone will throw me 20 bucks or something. But its my hobby, not theres and im usually the one who is like lets set up a hookah and chill, id feel like an idiot asking them for money. and whether i smoke it by myself or with a few friends im still using about the same amount of tobacco either way, and i find it more enjoyable to smoke with a few people than by myself.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook