Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

My newest project...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 15th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Default My newest project...

For me one of the biggest problems I face with hookah cleanliness is my base. My base often smells horrible, and being oddly shaped its very hard to clean, and its clear... So it looks nasty. So after some research I came up with an idea, and after some extensive testing, I believe that it is safe and helpful, so its time to let the cat out of the bag.

I added about 2 tablespoons give or take, of baking soda to my base water, and mixed it till it dissolved. This helps absorb most of the bad smells that tend to sit and brew in the base water, keeping it fresh, even after sitting for a few days. Also the bubbling from smoking the hookah gives a nice cleaning action to the side walls.

My first hurdle was making sure it was safe, and since it is edible and used in quite a few dishes, and used for cleaning, it is safe to consume. And since it is dissolved and in the base water you literally wont intake much of it if any. Once I decided it was safe, I had to make sure it wouldn't affect the flavor of the hookah. And after several blind tests with Anthony, my mom, and my dad, I came to the conclusion that it in fact does not affect the flavor at all.

So give it a shot, and let me know what you think. A video will be up tonight!
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:18 PM
soulassassin318
Hookah Nut

Default Re: My newest project...

Interesting...I would think that using the restaurant technique to clean coffee pots might work as well (ice, soda water, lemon juice - swirl it around until clean and no longer brown and nasty) - Side note, just an idea, never tried it, bcs I'm waiting for my order of my first hookah to come tomorrow. But, if you have no residual flavor or smell from the baking soda, that's awesome! I'll keep it in mind to keep mine sparkling clean. Thanks!
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Yeah I use a method similar to that when cleaning, but i devised this idea as preventative maintenance.
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:48 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

awesome idea. seems safe enough to me, and if you get no flavor change, i'm game to try it.

i've used baking soda for cleaning all sorts of things from the tub to the kitchen sink to my hair (i put my mohawk up with wood glue, take it out with baking soda. works great for that ) and teeth (makes great toothpaste).
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

I let mine sit overnight filled with Vinegar every few days. Keeps the stink out.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

I left my friend in charge of base cleaning awhile back.. especially after the paint chipped off leaving us with a clear base. What he does is sometime mix a solution of baking soda, lemon juice and/or vinegar.. and then scrapes it with a bent out metal hanger... gets all the "gunk" out.
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Auddzy
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Auddzy

for me back here... i've kept a toothbrush dedicated for cleanin my hooka base... first i squeeze half a lemon and sprinkle some salt..the brush!! the brush head is sorta flexible, which helps in cleanin .. then after i'm thru, one drop of eucalyptus oil and a thorough rinse for the base... then stash it aside for two hours or so...
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Ble3dth3freak
Hookah Pro

Good idea Nick. Gives me one of those why the hell didn't I think of that moments. Haven't really had an issue with and bases being overly stinky but I'll def keep this in mind.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

The other day fir sh*ts and giggles i used one if those as seen on tv power washer hose attachments on my hookah and base. It was sparkling in seconds, I was soaking wet but it only took me about a minute to clean it
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:44 PM
soulassassin318
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
The other day fir sh*ts and giggles i used one if those as seen on tv power washer hose attachments on my hookah and base. It was sparkling in seconds, I was soaking wet but it only took me about a minute to clean it
You need a vid of that. Not only to see the cleanliness of the base, but let's be honest - it's hilarious watching someone get soaked by surprise.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:46 PM
muck4doo
Hookah Nut

Baking soda is great. So are lemon and vinegar. However, I would think mixing baking soda with lemon or vinegar would neutralize your cleaning solution.
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Blaat
Hookah Pro

This method makes me base smell like brand new!
Hot water + much baking soda (like 2-3 full teaspoons) and some lemon juice. Let is it for a night and your base should smell brand new!
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

It seems most of you don't get the idea that im not cleaning my base. This is occurring while i smoke to prevent it from getting nasty in the first place.
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:15 AM
muck4doo
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
This method makes me base smell like brand new!
Hot water + much baking soda (like 2-3 full teaspoons) and some lemon juice. Let is it for a night and your base should smell brand new!
Have you tried any of those just on their own with the hot water?
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Blaat
Hookah Pro

Mix it together. Hot water + soda + jemon juice, and let it sit in there for a night.
Old June 16th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Robbo873
Hookah Nut

i just cleaned my vase this morning. a little dawn and a nylon brush, all is gone, no ghost flavors.clean as a whistle.
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM
DrPepper
Hookah Newbie

Yeah i use the same method nick. In fact to make the soda more aggressive without affecting the taste i add lemon extract. It bubbles up and the acid cleans even better. the chemical reaction doesnt give anything harmful and the taste is not affected at all!

drpepper
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Jessica
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to Jessica Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica Send a message via Skype™ to Jessica

Genius Nick... as usual! :-D

All hail the mighty FSM!!!!
I am who I am without regret or apology.
Your judgement and criticism will be ignored
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:37 PM
AralVorkosigan
Hookah Nut

sounds like a good way to help keep up on your pipe. Although, I am lazy and I really dont like the idea of adding another step to my hookah smoking process. just me though, and only cause i am lazy.
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:04 PM
alanpeterson68
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo873 View Post
i just cleaned my vase this morning. a little dawn and a nylon brush, all is gone, no ghost flavors.clean as a whistle.

I did this exact same method for a while but now I can't do it because I must have not washed it enough and everything tasted like soap for a while and it just killed it for me.
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPepper View Post
Yeah i use the same method nick. In fact to make the soda more aggressive without affecting the taste i add lemon extract. It bubbles up and the acid cleans even better. the chemical reaction doesnt give anything harmful and the taste is not affected at all!

drpepper
Im Glad someone knows what im talking about lol.
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:41 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It seems most of you don't get the idea that im not cleaning my base. This is occurring while i smoke to prevent it from getting nasty in the first place.
not to derail this thread any further, but has anyone else noticed this happening in almost every single thread recently... it's like people read the title and post the first garbage that pops into their heads whether or not it actually has anything to do with the true gist of the thread. its almost impossible to have an intelligent discourse when only 1-2 out of every 10 posts is actually on topic.

anyway, back on topic, i can't for the life of me find my baking soda, so i'll have to wait until friday when i get paid. this weekend i'll try it out and let you know what i think.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook