Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Forcefield to full power save the floor!

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 18th, 2010, 12:56 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Default Forcefield to full power save the floor!

I have a really cool space that I usually smoke hookah in, its an attic that was turned into a "play room" by the previous owner of the house. Next month I will be remodeling it and making it more of serious play room. Sky-lights, plasma tv hanging from the ceiling, platform bed, new furniture, and im replacing the nasty carpet with a bamboo floor.

Anyway now if i put a burn hole in the carpet, i could careless. However the new room is going to be a big difference. I need a sure fire way to make sure that floor never has an accident.

I figured a simple solution like a towel under the hookah would be fine. Until last night when i dropped a coal and it proceeded to role 4 feet before it came to a stop.

Anyone know a 100% guaranteed solution to save my future floor? (answers like dont smoke in that room are not appreciated)
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Memories
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Forcefield to full power save the floor!

perhaps a cheap floor rug? By the college my friend goes to you can get a 6x9 shag rug for like 60 bucks... that way.. worst if worst comes to worst you at least don't have to replace the floor. Another thing you can do is a hookah table.. but you do loose the aesthetically pleasing part of looking at the base. My friend made one.. basically their is a hole in the table the size of the top of the vase which securely hold the hookah in place, and to take the hookah out, one size of the table folds up. Just 2 little ideas.
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:21 PM
chewymatingcall
Hookah Pro

I agree with memories but if the table gets bumped into hard enough a coal could presumably fly off the bowl if you aren't using a wind cover so I would still use a carpet underneath that. Wind covers are good but I know you know what you are doing so a rug is a good idea
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories View Post
perhaps a cheap floor rug? By the college my friend goes to you can get a 6x9 shag rug for like 60 bucks... that way.. worst if worst comes to worst you at least don't have to replace the floor. Another thing you can do is a hookah table.. but you do loose the aesthetically pleasing part of looking at the base. My friend made one.. basically their is a hole in the table the size of the top of the vase which securely hold the hookah in place, and to take the hookah out, one size of the table folds up. Just 2 little ideas.
2 excellent ideas, but neither will work with the aesthetic of the room. Its going to be very simple and modern looking. So whatever solution I come up with needs to be one I can setup only when I smoke, and then put away when Im done
Unless the hookah table was also a very cool looking piece of furniture.
the cheap carpets flaw is that its a cheap carpet.
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:27 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymatingcall View Post
I agree with memories but if the table gets bumped into hard enough a coal could presumably fly off the bowl if you aren't using a wind cover so I would still use a carpet underneath that. Wind covers are good but I know you know what you are doing so a rug is a good idea
I love using a windcover, however I use my windcover for heat management and not really for carpet protection. Meaning about 50% of the time the windcover is on and of course the other half its not

keep trying guys....i need the ultimate solution to protect my future hookah paradise
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:35 PM
trptguy007
Hookah Nut

although i'm interested to see if anyone comes up with something more novel, I have to say I would just get a small area rug that could be rolled up and stored. doesn't have to be huge. Also, not using round coals would help your potential rolling problem. If you must use quicklights, you can break them in half and then push the pieces back together on the bowl, so if they fell they wouldn't be in a shape that would facilitate rolling.
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:41 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trptguy007 View Post
although i'm interested to see if anyone comes up with something more novel, I have to say I would just get a small area rug that could be rolled up and stored. doesn't have to be huge. Also, not using round coals would help your potential rolling problem. If you must use quicklights, you can break them in half and then push the pieces back together on the bowl, so if they fell they wouldn't be in a shape that would facilitate rolling.
it was a cube of coconara that rolled, i do not use quicklights, it droped from 37" off the floor hit the tray's edge actually bounced off my sandle(i was not burned but had a black dot on my toe that i didnt even know i had until 3 hours later) and then rolled another 4 feet, came to a stop for probably less than a second, cause i was very quick to pick it up with the tongs

i was considering a small area rug, and i think this might wind up being the solution, however this solution involves me not being the least bit lazy as this will be a 3rd floor bedroom and the area rug would be stored in a basement when not in use, thats alot of stairs.

and yes, im looking for something more novel as well.
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:28 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

(1) ashtray the size of a novelty sombrero

(2) topless second "windcover?" basically what i'm thinking of is a metal tube that is slightly smaller diameter than your windcover and tall enough to extend abut 1" above the rim of the bowl. that way, you have vertical protective walls at all times, and you can still add/remove the full windcover for heat management.

(2.5) second mesh "windcover." --this one might actually be a reasonable idea-- get some wire mesh with maybe .25" openings, use your regular windcover as a model and roll the mesh around it to make a fake windcover that retains no heat but keeps coals from escaping. then you just switch them back and forth

(3) get some sort of low/wide fountain with a pedestal at the top. then you put the hookah on the pedestal when you're smoking. if a coal falls off, it's immediately extinguished, and you just have to clean out the fountain's filter. when you're not smoking, you can pretend its relaxing or something.

(4) make your own compressed coals. each coal will have a little loop of wire running through the center. the loop goes to a little hook on your ashtray so that if they do escape, they're caught, as long as the middle hasn't burned down too much...

alright, there's a decent idea, and some brainstorming that though unreasonable sounding, may help you to come up with an actual good idea.
good luck. pics when you get the penthouse suite all tricked out!
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:31 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRpunx14 View Post
(1) ashtray the size of a novelty sombrero

(2) topless second "windcover?" basically what i'm thinking of is a metal tube that is slightly smaller diameter than your windcover and tall enough to extend abut 1" above the rim of the bowl. that way, you have vertical protective walls at all times, and you can still add/remove the full windcover for heat management.

(2.5) second mesh "windcover." --this one might actually be a reasonable idea-- get some wire mesh with maybe .25" openings, use your regular windcover as a model and roll the mesh around it to make a fake windcover that retains no heat but keeps coals from escaping. then you just switch them back and forth

(3) get some sort of low/wide fountain with a pedestal at the top. then you put the hookah on the pedestal when you're smoking. if a coal falls off, it's immediately extinguished, and you just have to clean out the fountain's filter. when you're not smoking, you can pretend its relaxing or something.

(4) make your own compressed coals. each coal will have a little loop of wire running through the center. the loop goes to a little hook on your ashtray so that if they do escape, they're caught, as long as the middle hasn't burned down too much...

alright, there's a decent idea, and some brainstorming that though unreasonable sounding, may help you to come up with an actual good idea.
good luck. pics when you get the penthouse suite all tricked out!
Ideas 2 and 2.5 are pretty good, they would help reduce the chances.....still not 100% though

but i think that might be because nothing is guarenteed
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Cadrian
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Cadrian

A Rug is the best thing.. its what I use. I don't see how easier it can get, I don't understand the room needs to be simple,(Am one of those people if it works then it works I can careless about how it looks) an area rug can look pretty nice if you use it right. Only problem is you don't wanna spend a fortune on a nice rug that you would be willing to get burns on.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe Black Tile or Black Hardwood or something.
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrian View Post
A Rug is the best thing.. its what I use. I don't see how easier it can get, I don't understand the room needs to be simple,(Am one of those people if it works then it works I can careless about how it looks) an area rug can look pretty nice if you use it right. Only problem is you don't wanna spend a fortune on a nice rug that you would be willing to get burns on.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe Black Tile or Black Hardwood or something.
simple and elegant, let me clarify, the room is going to be beautiful so im sacrificing some functionality for it too look great.

yes i would agree that a rug is a great solution, but since it would have to be a cheap rug in order to get burn holes, a cheap rug wont go with the fancy decor, so the rug would have to be rolled up and put away when not in use
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Cadrian
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to Cadrian

NM found my answer *Edit

Last edited by Cadrian; June 18th, 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:27 PM
AralVorkosigan
Hookah Nut

Depending on your hookah, i have seen designs for simple "clamping stands" one can put thier hookah on. basically, if yous hookah has a wider stance it wont tip over. A piece of wood with a way to clamp onto the base of you pipe could give you enough stabillity. A sheet of wood that would be hidden under a couch if thats an option would work. As for people who bump it REALLY hard, assuming that the hookah does not tip over, a rug would probally catch it, seeing as it would just fall. if your really worried about that scenario, someway to extend your tray would catch the coal.

Or you use antigravity, still working out the kinks though.
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Robbo873
Hookah Nut

i hope you find a solution to your coal prob. i've never had a coal spill, just real careful. happy smoking.
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
I have a really cool space that I usually smoke hookah in, its an attic that was turned into a "play room" by the previous owner of the house. Next month I will be remodeling it and making it more of serious play room. Sky-lights, plasma tv hanging from the ceiling, platform bed, new furniture, and im replacing the nasty carpet with a bamboo floor.

Anyway now if i put a burn hole in the carpet, i could careless. However the new room is going to be a big difference. I need a sure fire way to make sure that floor never has an accident.

I figured a simple solution like a towel under the hookah would be fine. Until last night when i dropped a coal and it proceeded to role 4 feet before it came to a stop.

Anyone know a 100% guaranteed solution to save my future floor? (answers like dont smoke in that room are not appreciated)
Quit using those fuck ass square coconaras. And get some of the rectangle ones.
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:41 PM
trptguy007
Hookah Nut

you could get that mod combo bowl. it really limits your options, since you can't change bowls, but the windcover on it clamps down so the coal wouldn't be able to get out.

about as novelty as i can think of.
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:14 PM
AralVorkosigan
Hookah Nut

Hire a small person dressed in traditional middle eastern atire to stand next to your hookah and keep it from tipping.
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:23 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trptguy007 View Post
you could get that mod combo bowl. it really limits your options, since you can't change bowls, but the windcover on it clamps down so the coal wouldn't be able to get out.

[img]

about as novelty as i can think of.

i knew someone was going to suggest this thing... it's almost a good idea, but heat management is impossible, and you need pliers/rags/ovenmitts to get the top off once it gets good and hot.

...but if you could combine that idea with my original idea 2.5 and have a mesh cover for the bowl that easily clipped on and fit underneath your windcover, i think you'd be in business
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:24 PM
z4dave
Hookah Newbie

get a large kiddie pool, paint it, and place your hookah in the middle
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:28 PM
AralVorkosigan
Hookah Nut

Ya, I thought of that to, but then you could not use your super awesome Vortex, or whatever other bowl you use. heres a thought process....

You have a patio, and you put a fire pit on it. this fire pit is shapped like a drum, the lid comes off but also it has a door on the side. the side are grated so you can see it from all sides.

Lantern. Design a lantern like wind cover, like stated above. all we got here man. best option besides trying to treat the wood on your floor to resist burns. not sure what my coffee table is finished with but it does not seem to burn for the few seconds that a coal lands on it.
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:30 PM
EvanW
Hookah Nut

I don't know what aesthetic you're looking for, but one idea is to have a zen garden in the room with the little rake, and pebbles and the whole thing. Set the hookah in the center on a flat stone, and if the coals roll off they hit the sand, black or white, and it would function similar to a golf bunker.

Just spitballing.
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:34 PM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

you're sacrificing functionality in the room and you pretty much don't want anything to put under the hookah to save your floor. what are you asking exactly?
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:38 PM
AralVorkosigan
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanW View Post
I don't know what aesthetic you're looking for, but one idea is to have a zen garden in the room with the little rake, and pebbles and the whole thing. Set the hookah in the center on a flat stone, and if the coals roll off they hit the sand, black or white, and it would function similar to a golf bunker.

Just spitballing.
+1. This sounds like a bad ass room idea!
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Avii
Hookah Nut

yeah maybe sum kind of coating for the floor? that wont burn or takes longer to burn?
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM
EvanW
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AralVorkosigan View Post
+1. This sounds like a bad ass room idea!
Plus, anyone in the room would never know it was a hookah-station. Nothing says modern like a Zen garden
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook