Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Desi Murli HELP

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM
lizzyrdd
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to lizzyrdd Send a message via Skype™ to lizzyrdd
Default Desi Murli HELP

I've heard Desi Murli is a bit different to get going than other tobaccos. I don't have a lot of it, but I don't want to ruin/waste what I do have by not knowing how to smoke it right. Any suggestions for a Murli virgin?
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: Desi Murli HELP

It's really easy you see. First you have to bake it at 328 degrees, with you coil burner upside down above a bowl covered in wax paper with holes in the shape of a pentagram.

Just kidding, just pack it a little tighter. Use a phunnel or a (scoffs) vortex. Just light up four cocos or four CH, put a windcover on for about 5-10 minutes. Let it bake a bit. Then start pulling. No foil touching (as usually I hope!) and if it's too hot, take off a coal, if it's good keep truckin, if it's no giving anything, windcover on and contemplate another coal or something is wrong LOL.

Really need to let it bake, and needs a little more heat.
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarcity View Post
It's really easy you see. First you have to bake it at 328 degrees, with you coil burner upside down above a bowl covered in wax paper with holes in the shape of a pentagram.

Just kidding, just pack it a little tighter. Use a phunnel or a (scoffs) vortex. Just light up four cocos or four CH, put a windcover on for about 5-10 minutes. Let it bake a bit. Then start pulling. No foil touching (as usually I hope!) and if it's too hot, take off a coal, if it's good keep truckin, if it's no giving anything, windcover on and contemplate another coal or something is wrong LOL.

Really need to let it bake, and needs a little more heat.
I use a small mod bowl, and burn it with 3 coals then reducing to 2 :/
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Use a vortex if you've got one.

Never got it to smoke right out of a funnel.

If you don't have a vortex, don't sweat it, a regular Egyptian works great.

Light up three coconaras or similar natural coals. Put the windcover on for five minutes and let it sit. Then take the cover off and start smoking.

You'll need to be able to predict when it's gonna get too hot, it'll burn fast if you're not careful. As a rule of thumb, I knock off one coal once the flavor is coming through strong, then replace it when the flavor goes dull. It takes a bit more attention than you're probably used to, but the reward is worthwhile.

Actually, Instead of coconaras, I've been having very good luck using nour finger style charcoal with this particular tobacco.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

I've found that using an egyptian or mod bowl works best for me. When I tried using my funnel it didn't work so well with DM as DM isn't a very wet tobacco, usually. Overpack and pack it tightly. If you haven't watched twoapplesplease's video on overpacking, now would be a good time to do that. I modified what he does by packing just a bit less than he does in the video. Then, with a single layer of heavy duty foil, poke holes all the way through the holes in the bottom of the bowl. This is an important step because it allows you to get adequate airflow. Then poke holes around the perimeter of the bowl that go to the bottom of the bowl, again, to allow for airflow all the way through the tobacco. I use two coconara's for a small mod bowl. Three for a larger mod/egyptian. Let the coals sear the top layer of tobacco for about 5 to 7 minutes, all the while moving them around every 30 seconds or so to get a good, even sear all the way around the bowl. After about 5 to 7 minutes, begin smoking. I've not ever had this method fail me with either DM or Nakhla. You will still want to move the coals more often than other tobaccos because of the penchant for burning. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old June 19th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Gift3d
Hookah Nut

I always mix a bit of honey with my DM. Just a little, so the flavor of the honey doesn't come through when you smoke but makes the tobacco more moist. With tobacco like AF and such where i'll usually use two layers of foil, with DM i find it smokes better using only one layer. For me it took a few tries before i got it to smoke well, so don't get discouraged if your first bowl doesn't come out the way you want it to. Also DM is a lot more prone to molding over, happened with my first batch of Khus sadly, so be careful while storing it and make sure it's in a completely air tight container. That's all i got.
Old June 19th, 2010, 08:25 PM
lizzyrdd
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to lizzyrdd Send a message via Skype™ to lizzyrdd

Wonderful!! Thank you all so much!!
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:29 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

My set up:
small phunnel, I pack a bit over the rim loosely, I then tap it down until it's under the rim
3 coco-naras evenly spread out and a windcover for 10-15 minutes. Durring this time I leave the room as not to be tempted to smoke it. Also when I return the fragrance is an amazing thing to return to.
I then remove my windcover and take off a coal, rotate the other two and slowly take that first ultimately satisfying pull of perfectly heated smoke
Old June 20th, 2010, 12:25 AM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
My set up:
small phunnel, I pack a bit over the rim loosely, I then tap it down until it's under the rim
3 coco-naras evenly spread out and a windcover for 10-15 minutes. Durring this time I leave the room as not to be tempted to smoke it. Also when I return the fragrance is an amazing thing to return to.
I then remove my windcover and take off a coal, rotate the other two and slowly take that first ultimately satisfying pull of perfectly heated smoke
haha beautiful ritual
Old June 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

I use a phunnel as per recommendation of Hajo. And I take the fourth coal off at around 5 minutes. I put it one when the get small, and then put on the windcover after that. I delays relighting of coals.

Phunnel gives better heat management due to surface area imo.
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:19 PM
SoWz
Hookah Pro

Thanks for the great advice guys. I think I will also be trying some of this shisha in the near future. I'm assuming it gives a solid buzz? If so, definitely going to try it.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but also curious what are some good flavors (more into fruity rather than coffee / nutty).
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:56 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Double Apple, Spicy apple, strawberry ones, heard a recommendation for watermelon as well.
Can't think of anymore atm, I'll let you know though.
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:17 PM
trptguy007
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWz View Post
Thanks for the great advice guys. I think I will also be trying some of this shisha in the near future. I'm assuming it gives a solid buzz? If so, definitely going to try it.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but also curious what are some good flavors (more into fruity rather than coffee / nutty).
I got that free sample of Fusion from discounthookahstore and it's actually pretty good. I feel like i got duped by telling you this because I thought I came out ahead by getting free shisha, and now they are getting free advertising. But then again, that's the point. Anyways, I got Mango Raspberry and it's pretty tasty. I am much much more into the fruit flavors. I have had HH root beer, chai, cola, and a few others and I much prefer the fruit. Try starbuzz blue mist, nakhla double apple, and most of the al fakher fruits are good, notably the sweet melon, imo.
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:17 PM
Coyotero
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWz View Post

Even with fruity flavors like apple or raspberry, don't expect a sweet, candylike flavor. DM raspberry is the most realistic raspberry tobacco I've ever had. That being said, like a raspberry it's not very sweet at all, it's got a tartness. All of the flavors are going to have a strong tobacco and spice background.

My favorites are:
Pan Rasna (A minty spice and fruit blend)
Rooh Afza (A floral, spice, and fruit blend)
Kewra (Spicy, aromatic)
Khus (Spicy, aromatic, quite similar to kewra but perhaps more atringent?)
Raspberry (Strong spiced tobacco flavor with a wonderfully realistic raspberry note taking a back seat)

Spicy apple was okay, but didn't have enough tobacco flavor for me.

Darth Coyote, Executor of EGOB and the Black Leaf Brotherhood.
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:36 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post
Even with fruity flavors like apple or raspberry, don't expect a sweet, candylike flavor. DM raspberry is the most realistic raspberry tobacco I've ever had. That being said, like a raspberry it's not very sweet at all, it's got a tartness. All of the flavors are going to have a strong tobacco and spice background.

My favorites are:
Kewra (Spicy, aromatic)
Raspberry (Strong spiced tobacco flavor with a wonderfully realistic raspberry note taking a back seat)

Really? Mine was like just a backnote of apple pie filling almost (as you've described raspberry) with a large majority being tobacco and DM spices.
My DA is like that though, it is a crazy delicious DA flavor (heavier on the apples than anise) with just undertones of tobacco.

Kamaaaalll.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:17 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotero View Post

My favorites are:
Kewra (Spicy, aromatic)

Hahaha! Our tastes get along very well!

I like to use my Egyptian for everything so I probably shouldn't give advice anymore haha.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
phoenixautumn
Hookah Pro

I've been wanting to try this, so thanks for the tips!
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:13 PM
Thecheezanator
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Thecheezanator Send a message via MSN to Thecheezanator Send a message via Yahoo to Thecheezanator

I tried it for the first time today and my setup worked perfectly.

Packed it fairly tight in a vortex and put one layer of foil with a good amount of holes. Then I put three Cocos and a windcover on it for fifteen mins. First pull was heaven in a bowl. Lol. After another fifteen mins I had to take the windcover off then put it back on as the coals died down.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook