Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu
   

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Nak OP problem

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Nick
Status: Offline
Deleted Per User Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 904, Florida
Posts: 1,851
Default Nak OP problem

I went to a friends house today to smoke the rest of my Nak Earl Grey that was sent to me by Dj Mike. I smoked a bowl of it earlier this week, kind of a normal pack in a small Mod Bowl. I threw 3 cocos on it, for about 4 minutes, then took one off and let it ride, it was harsh for a few minutes, then it smoked like a dream.

Today, I had about 40G left, packed my small mod bowl, Did the table press method, and it ended up flush with the bowl. I pushed holes through the bottom like you normally would with the over pack method, and poked a few smaller holes in the top and began. I threw 3 cocos on, let em sit for 30 seconds, rotated, and let them sit for a while longer. It was realllllllllly harsh from the flavor not the burn, so i took one coal off and let it sit for a bit, and then it began burning, I don't understand why It burned and it continued to be burnt and tast bad for the remainder of the session, taking hits every so often to check for harshness, but to no avail.

My question is whats wrong? Im assuming that it may be the bowl. Maybe the small mod bowl cant handle the heat I put on it? I never had a problem overpacking before, and this was super dense so I figured this would work even more than it ever has before. Any ideas?

Attached is an image, but I know it doesn't show much.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0380.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:55 PM
ariberns's Avatar
ariberns
Status: Offline
Hookah Master

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: nyc
Posts: 5,971
Default Re: Nak OP problem

Is there a chance that rather than slow cooking the tobacco under the burnt layer, you were heating it to fast? Smoking prior to heating the tobacco could change the temp to rapidly rather than a nice slow cook
__________________
Hookah Pro Legitimate hookah without the bias.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 20th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Nick
Status: Offline
Deleted Per User Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 904, Florida
Posts: 1,851
Default Re: Nak OP problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
Is there a chance that rather than slow cooking the tobacco under the burnt layer, you were heating it to fast? Smoking prior to heating the tobacco could change the temp to rapidly rather than a nice slow cook
Thats a good possibility, I got anxious and smoked too soon. I need to refine my technique.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 20th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Scarcity's Avatar
Scarcity
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,568
Default Re: Nak OP problem

Might want to drop a coal off there. Seems like too much heat to me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Mike's Avatar
Mike
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Key Largo, Florida Keys
Posts: 1,067
Default Re: Nak OP problem

That sux! Smokes great for me, but I always use a vortex with it. The flavor is pretty strong to me anyway so no need to overpack, imo. I'm guessing maybe the small mod bowl got too hot while you had 3 coals on. Mightv'e killed it...
__________________

Smoke On!!!


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:06 AM
KillerB's Avatar
KillerB
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Albany, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,277
Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB
Default Re: Nak OP problem

you want BIG holes when you overpack. Also, 2 coals seems more reasonable.
__________________
McLovin
My Pipes:
29" KM OG Tri-Metal
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:13 AM
rideordie81's Avatar
rideordie81
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,664
Default Re: Nak OP problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I went to a friends house today to smoke the rest of my Nak Earl Grey that was sent to me by Dj Mike. I smoked a bowl of it earlier this week, kind of a normal pack in a small Mod Bowl. I threw 3 cocos on it, for about 4 minutes, then took one off and let it ride, it was harsh for a few minutes, then it smoked like a dream.

Today, I had about 40G left, packed my small mod bowl, Did the table press method, and it ended up flush with the bowl. I pushed holes through the bottom like you normally would with the over pack method, and poked a few smaller holes in the top and began. I threw 3 cocos on, let em sit for 30 seconds, rotated, and let them sit for a while longer. It was realllllllllly harsh from the flavor not the burn, so i took one coal off and let it sit for a bit, and then it began burning, I don't understand why It burned and it continued to be burnt and tast bad for the remainder of the session, taking hits every so often to check for harshness, but to no avail.

My question is whats wrong? Im assuming that it may be the bowl. Maybe the small mod bowl cant handle the heat I put on it? I never had a problem overpacking before, and this was super dense so I figured this would work even more than it ever has before. Any ideas?

Attached is an image, but I know it doesn't show much.

i find that small mod bowls are way too small. My friend has one on his first hookah and it is constantly harsh so i brought over a mya bowl and there wasnt a harsh moment. i really dont like small mod bowls. i loved my larger one till it got shattered.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:46 AM
uglybiker's Avatar
uglybiker
Status: Offline
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Dread Pyramid of Itzilichlitlichlitzl
Posts: 7,366
Default Re: Nak OP problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
you want BIG holes when you overpack. Also, 2 coals seems more reasonable.
I going to go with this, too. In my experience, Earl Grey has always been a bit touchy on the heat.
__________________
FroYo = Phatt Azzd Kaloudz Yo!

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:29 AM
Dusty62's Avatar
Dusty62
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Escanaba, Michigan
Posts: 1,729
Default Re: Nak OP problem

Yeah, Nick, methinks you may have started smoking it a bit too soon. I like to let it sear for a good 5 to 7 minutes while rotating the coals around frequently to maintain an even sear around the bowl. Then, once that 5 to 7 minutes is up give it a test pull or two to see how it goes. 99% of the time it's right on by then. Hope you get it ironed out. Smoke happy.

dus'
__________________
Al Fakher Large Solid and a bowl of DM . . . life is good!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM
SoWz's Avatar
SoWz
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 827
Default Re: Nak OP problem

Yeah you smoked it too soon. Definitely let it cook for a bit. 3 coals is a bit much for a mod bowl but if it works for you go for it.
__________________
KM Americana w/ Illusion Base 34"
KM Quad Metal 2011 w/ Clear Jumbo (Gold Trim) 32"
KM Kamanja w/ Bohemian Base (Gold Trim) 26"
Reply With Quote
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone ever have this problem? skatefree2k Hookah Discussion 30 April 11th, 2010 11:48 AM
problem Alxlee0002 Hookah Discussion 18 November 16th, 2009 01:15 AM
BIG PROBLEM PLEASE HELP!!! hookahlvr Hookah Discussion 34 April 19th, 2009 06:18 PM
got a little problem SaraaiKar Hookah Discussion 10 November 2nd, 2007 07:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Skin Design By vBSkinworks



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Hookah Pro Inc.