Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Nak OP problem

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Default Nak OP problem

I went to a friends house today to smoke the rest of my Nak Earl Grey that was sent to me by Dj Mike. I smoked a bowl of it earlier this week, kind of a normal pack in a small Mod Bowl. I threw 3 cocos on it, for about 4 minutes, then took one off and let it ride, it was harsh for a few minutes, then it smoked like a dream.

Today, I had about 40G left, packed my small mod bowl, Did the table press method, and it ended up flush with the bowl. I pushed holes through the bottom like you normally would with the over pack method, and poked a few smaller holes in the top and began. I threw 3 cocos on, let em sit for 30 seconds, rotated, and let them sit for a while longer. It was realllllllllly harsh from the flavor not the burn, so i took one coal off and let it sit for a bit, and then it began burning, I don't understand why It burned and it continued to be burnt and tast bad for the remainder of the session, taking hits every so often to check for harshness, but to no avail.

My question is whats wrong? Im assuming that it may be the bowl. Maybe the small mod bowl cant handle the heat I put on it? I never had a problem overpacking before, and this was super dense so I figured this would work even more than it ever has before. Any ideas?

Attached is an image, but I know it doesn't show much.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0380.jpg  
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:55 PM
ariberns
Hookah Master

Default Re: Nak OP problem

Is there a chance that rather than slow cooking the tobacco under the burnt layer, you were heating it to fast? Smoking prior to heating the tobacco could change the temp to rapidly rather than a nice slow cook
Old June 20th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariberns View Post
Is there a chance that rather than slow cooking the tobacco under the burnt layer, you were heating it to fast? Smoking prior to heating the tobacco could change the temp to rapidly rather than a nice slow cook
Thats a good possibility, I got anxious and smoked too soon. I need to refine my technique.
Old June 20th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

Might want to drop a coal off there. Seems like too much heat to me.
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Mike
Hookah Enthusiast

That sux! Smokes great for me, but I always use a vortex with it. The flavor is pretty strong to me anyway so no need to overpack, imo. I'm guessing maybe the small mod bowl got too hot while you had 3 coals on. Mightv'e killed it...

Smoke On!!!

Old June 20th, 2010, 04:06 AM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

you want BIG holes when you overpack. Also, 2 coals seems more reasonable.
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:13 AM
rideordie81
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I went to a friends house today to smoke the rest of my Nak Earl Grey that was sent to me by Dj Mike. I smoked a bowl of it earlier this week, kind of a normal pack in a small Mod Bowl. I threw 3 cocos on it, for about 4 minutes, then took one off and let it ride, it was harsh for a few minutes, then it smoked like a dream.

Today, I had about 40G left, packed my small mod bowl, Did the table press method, and it ended up flush with the bowl. I pushed holes through the bottom like you normally would with the over pack method, and poked a few smaller holes in the top and began. I threw 3 cocos on, let em sit for 30 seconds, rotated, and let them sit for a while longer. It was realllllllllly harsh from the flavor not the burn, so i took one coal off and let it sit for a bit, and then it began burning, I don't understand why It burned and it continued to be burnt and tast bad for the remainder of the session, taking hits every so often to check for harshness, but to no avail.

My question is whats wrong? Im assuming that it may be the bowl. Maybe the small mod bowl cant handle the heat I put on it? I never had a problem overpacking before, and this was super dense so I figured this would work even more than it ever has before. Any ideas?

Attached is an image, but I know it doesn't show much.

i find that small mod bowls are way too small. My friend has one on his first hookah and it is constantly harsh so i brought over a mya bowl and there wasnt a harsh moment. i really dont like small mod bowls. i loved my larger one till it got shattered.
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:46 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
you want BIG holes when you overpack. Also, 2 coals seems more reasonable.
I going to go with this, too. In my experience, Earl Grey has always been a bit touchy on the heat.

Old June 21st, 2010, 07:29 AM
Dusty62
Hookah Aficionado

Yeah, Nick, methinks you may have started smoking it a bit too soon. I like to let it sear for a good 5 to 7 minutes while rotating the coals around frequently to maintain an even sear around the bowl. Then, once that 5 to 7 minutes is up give it a test pull or two to see how it goes. 99% of the time it's right on by then. Hope you get it ironed out. Smoke happy.

dus'
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM
SoWz
Hookah Pro

Yeah you smoked it too soon. Definitely let it cook for a bit. 3 coals is a bit much for a mod bowl but if it works for you go for it.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook