Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Myth or fact about rinsing shisha before smoking it

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 24th, 2010, 08:49 PM
chopsuix
Hookah Nut

Default Myth or fact about rinsing shisha before smoking it

So I went to a house party once and heard there was going to be a hookah. Just in case I brought about 25g of AF lemon mint because in my area of Hookah smokers they only smoke Nakhla double apple. The host starts to set up the hookah; keeps the old stale water in their from god knows how many sessions. And begins to prep the bowl. She takes a small amount of shisha in the palm of her hand and wets the opposite hands. She then transfers the shisha into the newly wet hand and squeezes her hand until molasses comes out and rinses her free hand. She does this transfer about 5 times and then easily sprinkles it into her bowl. I asked her about it and she said the indian guy at the hookah store told her to pack it that way to reduce headaches. Headaches were caused by the molasses.

What do you people think? Is this true? Do some people rinse the shisha before using it?
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:56 PM
rideordie81
Hookah Master

Default Re: Myth or fact about rinsing shisha before smoking it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsuix View Post
So I went to a house party once and heard there was going to be a hookah. Just in case I brought about 25g of AF lemon mint because in my area of Hookah smokers they only smoke Nakhla double apple. The host starts to set up the hookah; keeps the old stale water in their from god knows how many sessions. And begins to prep the bowl. She takes a small amount of shisha in the palm of her hand and wets the opposite hands. She then transfers the shisha into the newly wet hand and squeezes her hand until molasses comes out and rinses her free hand. She does this transfer about 5 times and then easily sprinkles it into her bowl. I asked her about it and she said the indian guy at the hookah store told her to pack it that way to reduce headaches. Headaches were caused by the molasses.

What do you people think? Is this true? Do some people rinse the shisha before using it?

no the indian guy was full of it. the tobacco is washed, or not, before it is made into shisha but once its made all thats gonna do is wash out the flavor. the girl with the hookah was prob some *edited* seeing as she kept the dirty old water. i woulda stayed the hell away from that hookah.

Last edited by KoRnKitten; June 25th, 2010 at 04:16 AM. Reason: nht reference
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:02 PM
muck4doo
Hookah Nut

Sounds like you need new smoking friends.
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:03 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

umm... NEVER heard of this before... ever. adding honey, yes. adding glycerin, yes. adding light molasses, yes. washed tobacco, yes i've heard of that: modern shisha tobaccos are already washed, before the addition of flavors and glucose-based binders. the washing process removes most of the nicotine and a lot of the natural tobacco flavor so that the inserted flavor comes through strongest.

this process seems ass-backward to me. i think you'd just end up burning the shit out of whatever tobacco you're re-washing (basically just removing the molasses/glycerin from. not to mention, Nak DA is already pretty dry...

did you actually smoke this thing? wtf did it taste like? my guess is just burnt nothing. there's little/no tobacco flavor left, she's washed most of the added flavor away, along with the stuff that keeps it from just straight burning...
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:08 PM
PBRpunx14
Hookah Pro

if they ONLY smoke Nak DA, there's no need to change the water every time. if we smoke a couple bowls in the same day, we only change the water if the new flavor will be overpowered by the old flavor. she probably is a new smoker and doesn't know what she's doing and is relying on the advice on someone who seemed knowledgeable to her.

disagree with staying away from her/her-hookah this is an obvious teaching opportunity.

Last edited by KoRnKitten; June 25th, 2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:10 PM
rideordie81
Hookah Master

agreed, id leave that part right then and there. lemmie guess, she used the solid metal bowl screen and put one ql dead center on the bowl and sat it up there while it was still sparking. am i right?

Last edited by KoRnKitten; June 25th, 2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Nick
Deleted Per User Request

Turning nak into hydro, awesome.
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:20 PM
chopsuix
Hookah Nut

HAHA 5 replies in like 5 minutes thats awesome. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my hookah. I change the water every time, keep it clean etc. This party was a wreck. There were about two hookahs there. One had been over filled and so like 5 people were slurping away at water clogged hosess (WE all know the dredded noise) but the girl who did the "washing" had a pretty nice hookah. Large, looked clean, nice hose, water level just right. She said that when she washed the shisha it was easier to fluff which mean easier to allow air flow to get through it etc. (so she wasn't retarded but still a newb) It tasted like Nak Da but was much easier to get started. When i say rinsed i don't mean like washing it under the sink for a few miinutes. More just squeezing out the juices a couple times with wet hands. Give it a try if you got a flavor ur trying to get rid of and let me know how it is. I've tried it with Nak mint and not half bad. But it is in no way part of my regular set up. Just one of those experimental type things.
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:25 PM
chopsuix
Hookah Nut

Just remembered that that wasn't the only time i'd heard it either. Another aquaintance of mine said that they had some middle eastern friends who also told them to squeeze out the shisha before using. hmm Maybe its a canadian thing ahah
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Madman039
Hookah Newbie

ya, i have no idea why anyone would think that the molases would cause a headache. Thats the whole reason your smoking hookah right, for the flavor, which is in the molases. If i were you i wouldnt ever do what she did unless you want a terrible smoke
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:43 PM
SoWz
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck4doo View Post
Sounds like you need new smoking friends.
+1.
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Thunderwolf1019
Hookah Guru

It makes no sense well at least to me it doesn't.
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Scarcity
Hookah Aficionado

It got started faster most likely due to the fact that there was less moisture to warm. I have heard of people drying it out a bit on paper towel. I see no reason why this would decrease headaches. Those are usually from CO poisoning or nicotine overload (both from hoovering the hoses).
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Sounds like a job for the Busters.

Old June 25th, 2010, 12:00 AM
HellSpawn
Hookah Master

A little after my best friend bought his first hookah about 2 years ago, he said someone told him to squeeze the shisha as dry as possible in a paper towel because the tobacco has already absorbed enough flavor and blah blah blah. Of course, earlier this year when I bought my own hookah and was really dedicated to setting it up perfect, I found out that was total crap and it tastes much better if left alone. I wonder if legit hookah smokers do this (highly doubt it) or if it's just something that people tell hookah newbs to be ass holes.
Old June 25th, 2010, 12:28 AM
ariberns
Hookah Master

questions:
If the molasses causes headaches why would they add it in the first place?
Why in the over 3 years of newb threads on this forum, has no one told the person to do this as part of setting up?
In the hundread threads about headaches why has this never been the cause or a solution?
Why? Why? Why?
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:40 AM
VShadowHeart
Hookah Nut

There are probably an insane varied number of ways to smoke hookah, its been around soo long the variations have to be insane, I have seen people smoke out of apples and peaches and whatnot lol.

I hate that everyone gets in the habit of thinking there is only one way to do something. Other ways may not work as good, or may not be traditional, but EVERYTHING was invented by someone. When some tard invents some stupid hookah thing and we all make fun of him, he may be the guy who invents the next cool thing, don't forget that.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook