Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu
   

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Let's talk buzz

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:25 PM
braindouche's Avatar
braindouche
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 45
Default Let's talk buzz

Ok, so, nicotine and I are on really good terms. I'm a pack and a half a day cigarette smoker, sometimes supplemented with cigars or snus, depending on my mood and how much work I need to get done. I'm a rampaging addict.

I'm also a research nerd who spent more than her fair share working as a librarian in a drug-rehab-focussed prison. It was the only prison in the state that didn't house juveniles that was smoke-free, and there were lots of resources sitting around the library that talked about various substances and their effects on the body. So, I spent some time looking up my favorite vice, tobacco, and what it does to you. It's totally enlightening, and I recommend this sort of research to anyone who wants to quit using cigarettes -- you'll get a much better idea of why it's such a hard habit and addiction to break than if you just look at quit-program material or anti-smoking propaganda. I'll be happy to share if you care.

Anyway, I want to talk about hookah buzz, since it seems to be a popular topic. I couldn't find any of this info on this forum, so I thought I'd drop it in for the edification of future generations. If it's there and I'm just an idiot and repeating other people, my sincere apologies.

I've been reading through the forums, and you guys are describing sever different sorts of buzzes, and at least one nasty side-effect, and I think they're all coming from different sources. I think this will give you a better idea of how to diagnose what you're doing wrong. Or right. Depends on your goals, I guess.

This is all based on my own research and experience, so take it as you like.

First off, nicotine is, among other things, a powerful stimulant. If you've taken a dose of nicotine, generally you'll feel energized, happy, and relaxed. You may feel a head buzz, but your whole body, generally, will also feel lighter and ready to move. Nicotine also stimulates virtually every happy chemical receptor in your brain, so your mood will lighten. You may get a little physically disoriented, but the sensation will be more "floaty" than "dizzy".

This is one of the main reasons why nicotine is hard to quit. This is also why smokers in the process of quitting are so freakin' grouchy.

Nicotine is also a powerful appetite suppressant, like most stimulants. (Never try to quit smoking while you're on a diet, you'll probably fail at both.) Too much nicotine, and you'll get nauseous. If your buzz is making you barf, you've probably OD'd. Thankfully, it's a very temporary condition. Most cigarette and cigar smokers experience this when they first start smoking, and they usually forget about it after a little while and a little practice.

If you experience a headache, that's more likely to be carbon monoxide intolerance. Regular smokers build up a tolerance to CO just like they do to nicotine.

Oxygen deprivation is probably the other source of buzz. I think we can all accept that you get light-headed if you're not getting enough oxygen? The sensation is markedly different from one that's nicotine-induced. You'll feel "dizzy", and your body will feel heavy and somewhat unresponsive. I find the sensation to be "sparkley" compared to a nic buzz. This can come from not getting enough fresh air while smoking, or from your lungs not taking in enough O2, either from inflammation due to smoke irritation or simply getting smoke-and-therefore-mucus all over the insides.

Obviously, depending on what you smoke and how much, you could be experiencing any one or a combination of all three. However, if you can distinguish your sensations, you might be able to figure out why it is you feel the way you do.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:31 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Status: Offline
Deleted Per User Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,342
Default Re: Let's talk buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindouche
Ok, so, nicotine and I are on really good terms. I'm a pack and a half a day cigarette smoker, sometimes supplemented with cigars or snus, depending on my mood and how much work I need to get done. I'm a rampaging addict.

I'm also a research nerd who spent more than her fair share working as a librarian in a drug-rehab-focussed prison. It was the only prison in the state that didn't house juveniles that was smoke-free, and there were lots of resources sitting around the library that talked about various substances and their effects on the body. So, I spent some time looking up my favorite vice, tobacco, and what it does to you. It's totally enlightening, and I recommend this sort of research to anyone who wants to quit using cigarettes -- you'll get a much better idea of why it's such a hard habit and addiction to break than if you just look at quit-program material or anti-smoking propaganda. I'll be happy to share if you care.

Anyway, I want to talk about hookah buzz, since it seems to be a popular topic. I couldn't find any of this info on this forum, so I thought I'd drop it in for the edification of future generations. If it's there and I'm just an idiot and repeating other people, my sincere apologies.

I've been reading through the forums, and you guys are describing sever different sorts of buzzes, and at least one nasty side-effect, and I think they're all coming from different sources. I think this will give you a better idea of how to diagnose what you're doing wrong. Or right. Depends on your goals, I guess.

This is all based on my own research and experience, so take it as you like.

First off, nicotine is, among other things, a powerful stimulant. If you've taken a dose of nicotine, generally you'll feel energized, happy, and relaxed. You may feel a head buzz, but your whole body, generally, will also feel lighter and ready to move. Nicotine also stimulates virtually every happy chemical receptor in your brain, so your mood will lighten. You may get a little physically disoriented, but the sensation will be more "floaty" than "dizzy".

This is one of the main reasons why nicotine is hard to quit. This is also why smokers in the process of quitting are so freakin' grouchy.

Nicotine is also a powerful appetite suppressant, like most stimulants. (Never try to quit smoking while you're on a diet, you'll probably fail at both.) Too much nicotine, and you'll get nauseous. If your buzz is making you barf, you've probably OD'd. Thankfully, it's a very temporary condition. Most cigarette and cigar smokers experience this when they first start smoking, and they usually forget about it after a little while and a little practice.

If you experience a headache, that's more likely to be carbon monoxide intolerance. Regular smokers build up a tolerance to CO just like they do to nicotine.

Oxygen deprivation is probably the other source of buzz. I think we can all accept that you get light-headed if you're not getting enough oxygen? The sensation is markedly different from one that's nicotine-induced. You'll feel "dizzy", and your body will feel heavy and somewhat unresponsive. I find the sensation to be "sparkley" compared to a nic buzz. This can come from not getting enough fresh air while smoking, or from your lungs not taking in enough O2, either from inflammation due to smoke irritation or simply getting smoke-and-therefore-mucus all over the insides.

Obviously, depending on what you smoke and how much, you could be experiencing any one or a combination of all three. However, if you can distinguish your sensations, you might be able to figure out why it is you feel the way you do.
Thanks for the info

I remember when I first started smoking (it was AF Grape) I felt like I was drunk lol. I also felt sick and nauseous cuz I wasn't used to all the nicotine. Sigh, maybe I should stop smoing for like a week so all the nic will get out of my body. That way, I can feel buzzes again cuz I haven't felt any in a very long time

That's one of the reason I love hookah...It was cuz of the buzz. Now I dont feel it anymore and it kinda sucks lol
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM
braindouche's Avatar
braindouche
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 45
Default Re: Let's talk buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyIsJustKidding

Thanks for the info

I remember when I first started smoking (it was AF Grape) I felt like I was drunk lol. I also felt sick and nauseous cuz I wasn't used to all the nicotine. Sigh, maybe I should stop smoing for like a week so all the nic will get out of my body. That way, I can feel buzzes again cuz I haven't felt any in months
It only takes about 3 days for nicotine to completely leave your body. Buzzseek twice in a week!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:03 PM
dakingkevin23's Avatar
dakingkevin23
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,362
Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23
Default Re: Let's talk buzz

That's some nice info. Thanks for all of it. You've enlightened me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Raid3n's Avatar
Raid3n
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alamosa, CO
Posts: 1,196
Send a message via MSN to Raid3n
Default Re: Let's talk buzz

that is some good information there thanks, its nice to know the different buzzes and what its caused by. i know ive experienced all of them in a day before.

i should quit smoking everything (cigs and hookah) for a bit and just recuperate, more than 3 days. i get the buzz still even at about a quarter of a pack to a pack in a day or todays case 4 bowls of some starbuzz. clear my body.

i like the research you put in thanks
__________________
My Pipes: 32" KM Mash'al, 14" Mya QT, 18" Mini Mya
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:21 AM
austinthecity's Avatar
austinthecity
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 529
Default Re: Let's talk buzz

Waiting 3 days to get the nicotine out of your system doesn't have any effect on your tolerance level though, does it?

I couldn't see how it would
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Raid3n's Avatar
Raid3n
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alamosa, CO
Posts: 1,196
Send a message via MSN to Raid3n
Default Re: Let's talk buzz

no it doesnt affect your tolerance, since your clearing your body of it, when you smoke it your fresh to it again and sometimes (for me at least) that gives me back the ability to get the buzz. only way your ever gonna lower your tolerance to nicotine is youve gotta stay off it for awhile. couple weeks at least. if not longer
__________________
My Pipes: 32" KM Mash'al, 14" Mya QT, 18" Mini Mya
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:23 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Status: Offline
Deleted Per User Request
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,342
Default Re: Let's talk buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n
no it doesnt affect your tolerance, since your clearing your body of it, when you smoke it your fresh to it again and sometimes (for me at least) that gives me back the ability to get the buzz.   only way your ever gonna lower your tolerance to nicotine is youve gotta stay off it for awhile. couple weeks at least. if not longer
I'm gonna lay off until thursday. That's when my friends and I are gonna smoke in the lunch area at school :P

Wow I think this amount of time is the most I've gone without hookah. I think the most was 2-3 days. Haha I'm an absolute hookaholic 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Raid3n's Avatar
Raid3n
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alamosa, CO
Posts: 1,196
Send a message via MSN to Raid3n
Default Re: Let's talk buzz

nowadays for me its not just hookah its smoke, and the best ive done is a week, week and a half. I always buy packs of cigarettes and when im at school i puff puff away lol. especially after weights lol damn im still not used to it
__________________
My Pipes: 32" KM Mash'al, 14" Mya QT, 18" Mini Mya
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM
braindouche's Avatar
braindouche
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 45
Default Re: Let's talk buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinthecity
Waiting 3 days to get the nicotine out of your system doesn't have any effect on your tolerance level though, does it?

I couldn't see how it would
Not really. That first day you might need to pay some attention to your consumption because you are out of balance, but if you go right back to regular consumption, you'll be back pretty much where you were.

Now, if you only smoke once every three days and keep that up for a couple of months, that's something entirely different.
Reply With Quote
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.

Skin Design By vBSkinworks



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Hookah Pro Inc.