Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Why to NOT buy a Chinese Knockoff Hookah.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: Why to NOT buy a Chinese Knockoff Hookah.

#'s 1 and 2 apply to MYA as well.

Dont understand why Mya gets a pass just because not all of it is made in China..... the parts that matter are...

Mine has an aluminum core stem that is deteriorating. The heart is common and is made of chrome plated brass parts.
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:55 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I've always had great experiences with Myas, never a problem. My Mya gets abused like a trailer trash wife and it holds up somehow... the stem i gotta say is made like a fucking tank. It sits in it's own filthy water for up to 2 weeks at a time, and yet has not even begun to show signs of deterioration. Actually, as a matter of fact, it is sitting from 4 days ago in my room right now...

Myas are made in China, but they have a reputable name backing them and are built well (i've found in my experience). The Acrylic vases are most likely made in China as well, but the glass bases are made in Europe. But honestly that doesn't affect my feelings toward them, as one has never let me down, and i don't exactly have a high-end Mya.

And maybe that's it, right there. High end Myas are built just the same as Nomral Chinese Knock-offs, according to what people have said, so maybe you should all buy Acrylics and see if you agree with that. I know some of you have owned them and hated them, yet i don't know why. Mine is a tank, invincible, easy to clean. The only problem is the common chamber, but it isn't plated to i get an easy draw.

It's just in the eye of the beholder i suppose. But i didn't include Mya because they have always treated me right, and they are not a Knock-off brand, yet still are from China so in a way should not be purchased...
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:10 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

I like MYAs as well. I bought my BFF a pristine acrylic MYA hookah for x-mas and it smoked pretty good for its size. I also have a Nou Nou and it smokes alright for a lil hookah (compared to shi***y pumpkin hookahs)

All in al, I really like MYAs. Their my fav along with egyptians
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:32 PM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

yea i would definately stay away from that shit but my girlfriends hookah is a bright pink Mya Acrylic and it couldnt be any more of a great hookah along with my new acrylic that she bought me and we got it directly from Mya Saray which luckily for me is located in sterling VA which is about 30 mins away from me! so quick shipping! but fuck chinese hookahs MYA all the way!
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Obviously my experiences and those that I know are not universal or anything but....

I've been smoking narghiles for a very long time, i've owned something like 50 and ran lounge or a while and I know a heap of people that have smoked as long or longer then I have. When my lounge first opened I bought some a lot of myas and some KMs and after a year i pitched the myas because they all had troubles while KMs never developed any trouble. I've owned something like 6 myas (most were gifts) and none of them lasted more then a year without major trouble. The ones at the lounge were QTs and some larger, pyramid shaped vase one that I can't recall the name. All but 2 of the one I personally had were the expensive, high end deals. The vast majority of the people I've known have not had good luck with Myas.

I know they make millions of them so maybe my experiences don't mean a lot but i'll never buy one again.
Old March 6th, 2008, 03:01 AM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Obviously my experiences and those that I know are not universal or anything but....

I've been smoking narghiles for a very long time, i've owned something like 50 and ran lounge or a while and I know a heap of people that have smoked as long or longer then I have. When my lounge first opened I bought some a lot of myas and some KMs and after a year i pitched the myas because they all had troubles while KMs never developed any trouble. I've owned something like 6 myas (most were gifts) and none of them lasted more then a year without major trouble. The ones at the lounge were QTs and some larger, pyramid shaped vase one that I can't recall the name. All but 2 of the one I personally had were the expensive, high end deals. The vast majority of the people I've known have not had good luck with Myas.

I know they make millions of them so maybe my experiences don't mean a lot but i'll never buy one again.
some mya's definitely do look great. but the material just isnt quality. KM's have the better material but what turns me off is that some are crooked from what ive smoked and seen in pictures, and although ive never cleaned one, a KM does seem difficult to clean.
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:57 AM
hookahking
Hookah Nut

I own about 3 Chinese hookah's out of my collection and i can not complain about any of them. I agree they are not that durable and may rust after a week but if you take care of them then you will never have a rust problem. A course i believe in quality of hookah's so i wouldn't but another Chinese hookah.
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Huh, i would say chrome plated brass that doesn't rust no matter what is pretty high quality. I look for brass in hookahs, hence the reason i bought the Mash'al. My Mya feels sturdier in hand than my KM though. I do get less smoke with a Mya for obvious reasons, but not that much less.
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Louayy
Hookah Nut

lol nice post
Old March 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM
wuonice
Hookah Newbie

great post. educating the masses is a must.
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:14 AM
FURsAKeN
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
1. Most are made with ALUMINUM downstems/cores.
(This metal is NOT stainless, and will NOT hold up well to heat at all. It is cheap to buy, cheap to use, easy to sell off to new Hookah smokers)
Actually..
Aluminum is not as cheap as you may think, even towards the lower grades it is more expensive then brass.
Aluminum hold up to low heat exceptionally well. (Unless it is excessively welded at high amperages, but coals never exceed the heat range to fry it. Therefore it's heat temperments are not applicable to hookah smoking.)
Also it is the most resistant to heavy corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahking
I own about 3 Chinese hookah's out of my collection and i can not complain about any of them. I agree they are not that durable and may rust after a week but if you take care of them then you will never have a rust problem. A course i believe in quality of hookah's so i wouldn't but another Chinese hookah.
Its doesn't rust because aluminum corrodes, you will notice a white like power look to the metal. Thats corrosion, its like non-ferrous metal's version of rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Huh, i would say chrome plated brass that doesn't rust no matter what is pretty high quality.
Chromes plating won't rust, but once that breaks down vertigres starts to form underneath and then beings to corrode the brass.

/root

Last edited by FURsAKeN; March 7th, 2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:44 AM
smokedsquid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to smokedsquid Send a message via Skype™ to smokedsquid

This is the reason I got a KM for my first hookah. If you buy a cheap knockoff, start smoking and love smoking it will only be a little while before you'll want to upgrade. You save money in the long run if you just buy the best from the start...if the wallet allows, that is...
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:44 AM
shisha_king
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to shisha_king

Not ALL shiny hookahs are bad. There are some nice triple blown vases and nicer modern hookahs that aren't mass-manufactured CRAP. As long as the glass is blown and not machine molded then you'll get a good quality hookah. Good way to tell is if there is a seam down one or both sides of the vase. If there is a seam, it's machine made. As far as stems are concerned you can tell the difference simply in weight. Lighter means cheaper.
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:51 AM
dmcwebd
Vendor

Send a message via MSN to dmcwebd

lol i got a chinese hookah as i bought only to take to Brazil and through it away but i got use to it so much as i'm still using it hehe even thought i got 2 better ones somehow i keep coming to the chinese shit.. its just like mc Donald's; u know the quality is bad but you keep coming back to it
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:01 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcwebd View Post
its just like mc Donald's; u know the quality is bad but you keep coming back to it
great analogy dmc!
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Divine Comedy
Hookah Newbie

I have recently bought a Chinese hookah. I would say im pretty happy with it. Of course i am no expert, and its to early to speculate about such things as rust. But it smokes quite well, the pull is great and the hits are gigantic (though it does take about 4 hits to fully fill the chamber). The entire thing seems nice and sturdy. The hoses are rubber very comfortable and at least appear to be well made. The vase looks nice, dimond cut desighn. But the stem is aluminum and detachable.

In any case for 35 bucks i got more then i expected, it looks nice and smokes well. Now im sure eventually i will move up to finer hookas. But for the time being its cheap and serves my purpouses.

Anyway just figured id share.
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:11 AM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

Hahaha My stargate purchased from Tasqueem is Def not a chinese knock off My fiance bought this for me several years ago and is still my number 1 rig to this day.

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:16 AM
xsmokethisx
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to xsmokethisx Send a message via Skype™ to xsmokethisx

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedra View Post
my first hookah was a chinese hookah, the one pictured. after buying a better one i put it away before giving it a good clean, and good drying. today i opened the case it came in and its rusted. it practically rusted on its own! pretty crappy if you ask me! the hose it came with constantly had black dust coming out of it and the pull was really bad! it was also very hard to guage the water level because the base was painted camo colours.

at least you know if you got deployed you could still smoke the hookah and have a better chance of not being seen

My first was a shitty mya qt knock-off worked pretty good until for some unknown reason, my purge valve bearing just welded itself. so no purging and burning shisha was a common thing for me back then. but it smoked okay i guess, nothing like the mya colossus considering the colossus has like 2.5 feet on it.

By the way, is it a MYA QT (CUTIE) or MYA QT (QUART)
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

I'm pretty sure it's called a cutie.

It's pretty fugly to me, though. I'd even go as a far as saying it's pug ugly.
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:23 AM
xsmokethisx
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to xsmokethisx Send a message via Skype™ to xsmokethisx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
I'm pretty sure it's called a cutie.

It's pretty fugly to me, though. I'd even go as a far as saying it's pug ugly.
i agree, i think they are ugly as sh1t.
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:57 AM
ChronicHookah
Banned

not all chinese knock offs are bad, just like not all chinese products of anything are bad, you just need to see the product, read reviews, and decide for yourself. there are tons of great products that come from china, just about everything we buy for the house is from Costco. It seems like everyhthing is chinese made but really good quality. No, with that said, tons of crap comes from China too, so you can't label someting as chinesemade=crap. happy hunting
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

When you buy Chinese made products you are subsidizing slavery and communism which is something I would hope most of us would try to avoid. While it's true that you can get a decent amount of smoke to come out of a PRC made rig the reality is that the original list of problems cited by Zen at the start of the thread are all true and for the most part they apply to Mya as well.

Given that endless amounts of narghiles from Egypt, Syria and Turkey produce far better sessions, look better and last longer I simply can't justify buying something made in the PRC. I have several rigs that have seen heavy use for several years that still clean and function perfectly and I have never heard of such a thing from a PRC made rig. I know of countless examples of Arabic/Turkish/Persian made rigs that have been passed down for generations and certainly many new rigs that are able to out last the owner's kids. I can honestly say that such a rig has not and will not be made in the PRC.
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Rob416
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to Rob416

ehhh i agree with John on this one.. almost everything we have is from china.. soo there are deff several chinese made hookahs out there that are goood.. you just gotta hunt around and find a decent one..
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Juno
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Juno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
When you buy Chinese made products you are subsidizing slavery and communism which is something I would hope most of us would try to avoid.
While it would ruin their economy if we stopped buying Chinese, we would go to another country for cheap labor. Probably India.
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:01 AM
griff
Hookah Newbie

my first was a chinese straight from sf. was ok for 20 bucks. we named it the pineapple because it looked like a pineapple grenade. then i got a syrian... so we filled my old one with gas and made a molitove cocktail out of the vase.....guess it lived up to its name.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook