Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Stigma? History?....I'm not getting it.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 9th, 2008, 10:51 AM
skyemists

Default Stigma? History?....I'm not getting it.

Good morning everyone,

You said I could ask questions, so here goes......this is serious and I am not asking frivoulously, so please, if there are other threads you can refer me to, please just let me know.

How did owning, smoking, discussing a hookah become so stigmatized?

Why is it "considered" (assumed to be) illegal?

What is so illicit about it?

If smoking a hookah is basically the middle eastern way of, say, ligthing up a cigarette here..........why does everyone look askance when you bring it up?

Is it just the "assumption" on society's part that you MUST be smoking something illegal from it?

The reason I am asking this, is sometimes I may be a little slow on the uptake, but I am older and I have difficulty realizing that I actually AM part of the counter culture just due to my religious affiliations........

So it seems basically, because I wanted to try something new, (that's been around for a very long while!) That's cool, tastes good, is very social.....and lends itself to contemplative thought (ok, maybe I do see why society is having an issue!) I am stigmatized yet again.

I had someone flip out yesterday when I told them I had purchased a hookah.............appearently, I have to keep my Mya QT on the "QT"......

Like I said, I just don't get it.
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM
mr2guy
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Stigma? History?....I'm not getting it.

I don't know what it is about hookahs that makes people think drug use. I guess we just have to look at it from everyone elses perspective. If you saw someone smokeing this large thing that you've never seen before what whould you think?

I almost got busted last night on campus. The campus security atomaticly said it was drug paraphernalia. I explained what it was, but he didn't believe me. he only let me off becuase if it was illegal i wouldn't have been doing it in the middle of campus =/

So i guess it's just people being uninformed about it. Hopfully hookah will become more common and accepted as it's popularity grows in the states.
Old March 9th, 2008, 12:03 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

It's because it's a large water pipe. Before hookahs became popular in america, there was only one other kind of large water pipe....

Also, a lot of people who smoke NHT like to hookah. A lot of people with a hookah smoke NHT out of it.

Hopefully, the population will become educated soon, but right now we are being associated that crowd..
Old March 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

I believe because it is a waterpipe that has smoke in it. I think that's the reason why people start jumping to conclusions and its really retarded
Old March 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
sars
Hookah Newbie

Surprisingly enough, that happens less today than a few years back.
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:36 PM
ChronicHookah
Banned

Exactly, it has to do with knowledge. About 10 years ago it was mainly a middle eastern thing. Regular folks had no idea what it was and would jump to conclusions. Now the majority of hookah users in the US are people with out a middle eastern background. It is becoming more accepted and mainstream.

Anyways, Skemist, as long as you enjoy it who cares what others think.
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:16 PM
shishaholiC
Hookah Pro

I believe it's close-mindedness. No type of waterpipe is illigal. Even the ones not meant for tobacco use. Whats illigal is what goes in those things. Most people just cant accept that narguileh is a not meant for those things and when they see them they think that you use it for other substances. ITS NOT OUR FAULT. its both the "non hookah tobacco" smokers and the close minded people that create the misconception.
Fortunately, in my country, narguileh is quite popular and even some who dont smoke it, own 1-2 for decoration.

NOTE : MODs if the post is not apropriate(whoever this word is spelled xD) PM me to edit.

Cheers
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:23 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishaholiC View Post
No type of waterpipe is illigal. Even the ones not meant for tobacco use.
That's not quite true.. For more information, go here:
wiki page
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM
rocko041304
Hookah Newbie

people should just get informed...
a hookah is a hookah, cant be compared
with any other water pipes. you just cant compare
it. lol enjoy...

Last edited by rocko041304; March 9th, 2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
austinthecity
Hookah Pro

I think this topic is getting a bit out of hand. Can we get a mod to lock or delete it so google doesn't lead people to believe this forum is about the wrong things?
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:42 PM
skyemists

Was not my intent to introduce anything inappropriate, was just trying to understand the stigma attached. I think I get it now........it is once again purely based on ignorance......and fear. So Sad. Feel free to delete the thread Sir or Madam Moderator.
Old March 9th, 2008, 05:40 PM
daedra
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to daedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyemists View Post
Was not my intent to introduce anything inappropriate, was just trying to understand the stigma attached. I think I get it now........it is once again purely based on ignorance......and fear. So Sad. Feel free to delete the thread Sir or Madam Moderator.
here it is in a nutshell - people dont like what they dont know.
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Basically what happened is that back in the '60s narghiles from India got imported into the U.S. & U.K. by hippy types who used them in ways we don't. Cops found out about it and until the last 5 years or so chances were pretty good that any water-pipe you saw was not being used for anything legal. Given that rampant anti-Arab sentiment is the norm in the U.S. these days the hobby is also hated simply because it's seen as being Arab and hence bad bad by various mental midgets. A third thing is that for the last 15 years or so anti-tobacco hysteria has been growing like kudzu so anything that is tobacco related is hated by ever growing legions of do gooders determined to save us from ourselves.
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:52 PM
skyemists

that was a great answer!

Thank you.
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I personally blame Reggae Music. . Sad, but true.
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:44 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
A third thing is that for the last 15 years or so anti-tobacco hysteria has been growing like kudzu so anything that is tobacco related is hated by ever growing legions of do gooders determined to save us from ourselves.

Mein life sucks! Zat much iss true!
I vill noot shtop until yours sucks, too!

Old March 9th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I blame the Hookah Smoking Caterpillar.

That is the westerner idea of the hookah... a device that played a role in a story that was suspected to be about substance exploration.

Whether that is true or not...I figure that is where most of it is born.
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:17 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Well he did write it based of one of those experiences... But it was suppose to be mystical. A "Mystical Hookah-Smoking Intellectual Caterpillar". How cool is that. i didn't associate the Caterpillar with illegal substances even after i knew about the story's origin. There's a lot of ways in which the hookah is getting a bad rap. Have you seen the online head-shops? They all sell hookahs... But no tobacco... only "Legal herbal Smokes".
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:25 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

I really wished that a powerful part of the media would show hookah in a positive light, like how it is not used for illegal substances. I hate the fact that I can't even smoke out in my backyard cuz my a-hole 80 year old neighbor who lives next to my house will poke his nosy @$$ over the wall and most likely report me for smoking illegal substances, which I am not.

Hehe but the other neighbors behind my house are Armenian, so if they ever see me smoking it, I know for sure they won't think I'm smoking illegal substances cuz the hookah is kinda part of their culture as well.

But gahhh...I really wish the media would open up people's minds and show them that hookah isn't supposed to be associated with illegal substances at all because its getting to a point that it is seriously ridiculous.
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I am try to "inform" and "educate" people about the hookah. Nothing gets me more heated then somebody suggesting to me about what else I should put in my hookah besides shisha. It really pisses me off to listen to them tell me what I should do with my hookah, or when they assume that I automatically put something illegal in it. SOOO I make it my best effort to educate them, even when I feel like kicking them in the head for their stupidity! People are just uneducated when it comes to hookah smoking as well as closed minded. I have gotten a quite a few people to try out the hookah though and they have always been impressed and enjoy the traditional use of it .. the flavors, smells, and socialization.

Basically skyemists, you just have to educate people ... I am always offering an explanation every time I have my hookah. It gets OLD, but I do it anyway ... because I do care what people think about my enjoyable hobby, and their uninformed outlook on me because of my enjoyment for hookah (deep down it bothers me that anybody would assume I am doing something wrong, because I am very anti-drug actually)

Don't let it get you down, and even when you would rather not argue with someone over it ... go ahead and argue with them over it anyhow, and educated them on what it is!!!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old March 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM
antouwan
Hookah Newbie

it's mos def a knowledge thing. when people see something different the jump to conclusions. plus, the amount of smoke...i mean the smoke isn't exactly comparable to that of a cigarette or a cigar...an arguileh is funny looking (to western eyes), and it smokes like a dragon

it's like arab archetecture or anything foreign..it's assumed to be inferior in this case inferiority = illegal things
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:35 PM
dakingkevin23
Hookah Guru

Send a message via AIM to dakingkevin23

If only we could take the assumption gene out of some individuals in this world, then hookah would be perfectly fine.....but no, people always assume the worst.
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:41 PM
cast1e06
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to cast1e06

i was the typicall assumer before my friend taught me otherwise.... so i say the best way to get people to stop assuming is to get out and educate them..
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook