Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Does one have to get used to Hookah smoke?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 12th, 2008, 07:21 AM
HiToKiRi
Hookah Nut

Default Does one have to get used to Hookah smoke?

I'm asking this question because for some reason my fiance' and many of my friends battle to smoke Hookah. By this I mean that when they take a hit, they'll start coughing and say that it's "too strong" or that they're experiencing a "tickle" in the back of their throat. I can't understand why this happens because my fiance' and most of my mates smoke cigarettes while I on the other hand quit smoking cigarettes more than 4 years ago but I don't experience these syptoms.

This kinda blows because I thoroughly enjoy my hookah and it always accompanies me to our social gatherings but it's not much fun if nobody else is joining in. I would also really like my fiance and I to enjoy the hookah experience together but I usually end up smoking on my own because it's too "harsh" for her.

I'm now thinking that perhaps I've just gotten used to the hookah smoke or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Anyone here with a similar experience?

Last edited by HiToKiRi; March 12th, 2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Default Re: Does one have to get used to Hookah smoke?

What brand and flavor of tobacco is causing that reaction? Could it be heat management? I used to smoke 2 packs a day and hookah smoke (for the most part) is way smoother than any cigarette I've ever smoked.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Cory
Hookah Newbie

I used to smoke a lot of cigs also, I still smoke cigars all the time, and like Dunkel said hookah is way smoother than anything I ever smoked. I have showed hookah to my friends who smoke cigs also and they think the same. Maybe it's a harsh flavor you have gotten used to?
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Cj Two A
Hookah Nut

Only time I ever heard of something like that was when I left my small hookah at a party for a beer run, and when I came back everyone was saying the hookah was horrible.. So I went and looked and someone had repacked it nicely, put a new coal on, but decided that the foil wasn't necessary... O_O
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:18 AM
HiToKiRi
Hookah Nut

Well we only have Afzal, Nakhla, Al-Waha and AlFakher available here in SA but you'll only find AlFakher and Al-Waha tobacco in my stash.

I wish I could point out the particular brand or flavour of tobacco that could be the culprit but the truth is my fiance' has tried just about all the flavours I've brought home with the same end result. I do however remember that I once bought some Nakhla cherry flavoured tobacco which she was actually able to smoke and she said it wasn't harsh for her. Coincidence maybe?

Heat management? Well I only use QL's because other types of coals are pretty hard to get hold of around here. I also always use ice cold water and ice blocks in the vase.

Maybe I've just got a bad Hookah and it's time for a new one

Last edited by HiToKiRi; March 12th, 2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I tsounds as though it may be "Harsh" and to you it may not seem harsh because you have iron lungs? Try using a little less coals on your next hookah setup and/or doubling up the foil till you get the heat management down.

Keep lots of ice in the base and see how that goes!? Let us know ...

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:10 AM
HiToKiRi
Hookah Nut

Thanks for the input everyone. After a bit more research I'm thinking that perhaps I'm using the QL coals incorrectly. Usually I just make a bunch of evenly spaced holes in the foil with a toothpick and place the coal directly in the middle of the bowl but according to www.shishapipe.net I should be using at least two coals and placing them at the edge of the bowl:

"If you are going to use the quick lights, place a lit coal on the outside of the bowl first. Wait 2 minutes and then add another coal on another outer area of the bowl. Usually two charcoals will do the job, but some people like going overboard with the smoke and add a third charcoal 25 minutes into the smoking session when the first two begin to die down. It is not recommended to put a third charcoal on that soon, but if you are an experienced hookah smoker, and you know how to manage your charcoals, then you could pull it off and get quite a nice smoke from it. The other thing you need to worry about is heat management. About every five minutes, you should move the charcoal to a new place on the bowl on the outsides, and eventually moving them closer and closer to the inside. If the charcoal is placed on the same region of the bowl for too long, it will just burn the tobacco to the point it turns crispy and hard; ruining the flavor of the whole bowl. What we want to do is savor and use our molasses to it's fullest potential, and waste as little of it as possible. Heat management, and moving the coals every 5-10 minutes is a crucial technique that most people neglect when smoking hookah."
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Break the coals in half, and use 3 halves (which would be 1.5 quicklights)

And check out my setup vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_BCJ1xOQTE
... you should be putting the coals on the edge of the bowl, especially starting out. Try my video tutorial out and let me know if that makes a difference.

Cheers!

~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM
mr2guy
Hookah Nut

Yah, it sounds like you have lungs of steel and can't tell when the smoke is harsh lol. Spliting the coals works great, and depending on the size of you bowl you may not even need two coals.
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

It could be harsh and that is what they are complaining about. Just take off a coal and don't pack as high. When I first tried out hookah, this happened to me too cuz the hookah we were smoking from had too many coals on it.

Lol don't worry, when I got used to hookah, I didn't realize how harsh the smoke was until someone else hit the hookah and said it was harsh.
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:10 PM
cast1e06
Hookah Nut

Send a message via Yahoo to cast1e06

me and my friends all smoke and we also smoke hookah, but we arent heavy smokers and we do just fine with it.. my father however is a heavy smoker and he does the same on every hit.. he'll cough and all that.. i think its cause when we all smoke we smoke it like u would a cigar and dont inhale it into my lungs.. my father does being a heavy cigerette smoker thats what hes use to... and thats alot of smoke... maybe thats why.. maybe not just a thought..
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:12 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiToKiRi View Post
Maybe I've just got a bad Hookah and it's time for a new one
Happiness is a new hookah!
What size is the one you have now? Taller pipes do smoke better than short ones.

Old March 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM
mylkshake
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cast1e06 View Post
i think its cause when we all smoke we smoke it like u would a cigar and dont inhale it into my lungs.. my father does being a heavy cigerette smoker thats what hes use to...
i've never smoked anything except a couple cigars before hookah (didnt inhale the cigars) and with hookah i inhale it all with no problems...
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM
HiToKiRi
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambooka View Post
Break the coals in half, and use 3 halves (which would be 1.5 quicklights)
I'll try this, but is it easy to break QL's in half? I can already see myself trying this and shattering the coal into a thousand pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
Happiness is a new hookah!
What size is the one you have now? Taller pipes do smoke better than short ones.
Well I have a typical Egyptian hookah (which one can just barely see in my avatar) which is about 52cm tall (around 21 inches or so) but I already have my sites on a 35" Khalil Mamoon.

Last edited by HiToKiRi; March 12th, 2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

I usually don't have a problem breaking them in half, you could even try lighting it and then breaking in half? But I usually break mine before I light it ...

Old March 12th, 2008, 03:58 PM
mylkshake
Hookah Nut

i just use a knife to break coals... score all around it and snap it
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook